IGNORED

Arm Lock Putting - Ban or Continue to Allow?

Arm Lock Putting  

52 members have voted

1. 1. If you were czar of the USGA and R&A, would you ban or continue to allow "Arm Lock" putting?

• Continue to Allow
    • Find a Way to Ban

On 4/25/2021 at 9:44 AM, longiron205 said:

Simple fix. Just make a rule that when gripping any club, the hands must be in contact with one another and that the club cannot extend more than 3 inches beyond the two hands in contact with one another. 

Why? 

EX15tBEXQAoddSG.jpg

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I grip down on chip shots all the time.

I'm more miffed by the likes of Adam Scott and Bernhard Langer

Posted Images

• Administrator

I don't think Arm Lock is anywhere near as big of an advantage as people act like. I think it's also tougher to have a good sense or feel for things, especially as a righty.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 11:09 PM, iacas said:

I grip down on chip shots all the time.

Agree. It’s a must for me with chip shots. I usually press the club forward gripping much lower down the grip.

Meh, I voted to allow it to continue, as I can't see how it provides an unfair advantage. To me it looks like you're taking something that should be so simple, natural and flowing and making it overly complicated and mechanical so it doesn't seem it makes putting easier. Then again, I've always been an arc putter with a conventional grip and think straight back straight through and nontraditional putting grips are for the birds. 

I voted to ban just to stir the pot. I won't defend either one although the "asshat" crowd make a valid point. 🙂

I voted to allow it to continue.  Personally I do not like how it looks but last I checked Golf is not a beauty contest.  Also, for those saying to limit the length or loft nothing in the rules dictate which club or loft to use for a particular shot,  if I want to use my 48” driver to hit a putt I should be allowed to.  

• 4 weeks later...

Let me start by saying I'm not the greatest putter in the world. But I'm far from the worst. Anyway, Yesterday I popped into a PGA superstore. 

I'm not in the market for a new putter, but I was checking out the new Cobra 3D printed models, because I think the concept is interesting. So, me and the sales guy are chit-chatting and he starts in on the "Bryson Arm-lock putter". 

So, I test drove it. It SEEMS like a cool concept. I even like the SIK face idea. Seems to make sense to my feeble mind. 

Anyway, I hated it. After trying about 3 or 4 different adjustments mostly on the advice of the sales guy. I just couldn't make it work for me. 

So, I have no problem with it being legal, because truthfully, I don't think it is enough of an advantage. For every one thing it helps it seems to screw something up. It may help some, but I think there are as many disadvantages as there are advantages. 

I think it's ok. Arm locking looks "odd" and is less golf-like than a conventional style, but it is not as weird as the long putter, anchoring, broomstick style. And FWIW, it sure seems like some guys "soft anchor" against their shirt rather than pushing firmly into their chest, so there are always limits to what you can do with rules....

I've found there's a trade off in putting...lots of things we do to reduce variability also seem to reduce feel. I've tried arm lock style putting, and I guess that while it maybe reduces or eliminates the error of "flipping" the putter head through impact, it is at first anyway much harder to feel the putter head and therefore to precisely vary how hard you are swinging. It's like trying to write with the pencil held in the crook of your elbow versus in your hand. 

What bugs me about many of the rules issues in golf is that many seem motivated entirely on appearance. I'm pretty sure the reason they went after long putters was that a bunch of stuffy people at the USGA and R&A didn't like the look of someone winning their championship with a putting stroke that looked like they were sweeping the floor. It's the same as the angst over distance, where I'm pretty sure the main R&A motivation is to make sure The Old Course isn't made obsolete for championships. 

There's only so much you can do...it's a game, it should be fun, and we shouldn't take it too seriously. 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Big Lex said:

What bugs me about many of the rules issues in golf is that many seem motivated entirely on appearance. I'm pretty sure the reason they went after long putters was that a bunch of stuffy people at the USGA and R&A didn't like the look of someone winning their championship with a putting stroke that looked like they were sweeping the floor.

That's not why. Not if you talk directly to the people, as I have at Rules seminars, etc. who made those calls.

It was legitimately about anchoring not being a true "swing" or a "stroke." It's not like belly putters or anchored putter people were winning everything. Nor were they even just putting really well, overall.

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • Good for you, what course are you qualifying at?  Good luck.
    • Considering how many people he comes into contact with and how often he is flying, it is unfortunate but not a total surprise. You can catch Covid-19 again even with being vaccinated and previously infected. It just means that your infection is mild.
    • Or, he understands how it transfers, and he was only around his wife for two months. He didn't need to get tested… because in getting tested, maybe he would have gone out more than he did in isolating at home, perhaps? You are making a LOT of assumptions, as you often do, @Shorty. Cool it.
    • The Club at Lac La Belle - 6.5 I wasn't a big fan of this course. It was beautiful and well-maintained, but I found parts of it to be a little contrived. It's definitely a target golf course and for someone like me who is wild off the tee, it took all the fun of strategizing out of it because the risks were just too high. I did like that there was variety in the course layout with a good mix of short/long, right/left, uphill/downhill holes. I'm not sure I'd make a trip out to this one again if I'm ever back in the area for golf, but it's less than 10 minutes away from a delicious French bakery with the best croissants I have ever had, so that bumps up the score a little  I'd go back just for the croissants. The Sandbox - 7.0 This little 17 hole par 3 course was just fun. It gave you different looks and a variety of options for play. I really liked it and tried a bunch of different things I normally wouldn't have on a regular course. A 7.0 is probably the most I'd give to a par 3 course, though. Lawsonia Links - 7.5 I really enjoyed this course. Overall I found the layout to be good. There were plenty of places to miss, but you still needed to hit good golf shots to play well. I liked the way the mounds and bunkers were designed to play with the shape of the holes visually. There were really only a couple of holes I didn't like - 13 in particular, even though I made par both times using completely different strategies. It's just bordering on too many blind shots for me, though. I'd definitely play this course again if I have the chance. Mammoth Dunes - 8.5 This course was spectacular to look at - absolutely visually stunning. The pictures don't do it justice because they fail to capture the scale of everything. The place is massive. I'll echo what the others have wrote above: it's a journey. You feel like you're not going out to play a round of golf, but rather that you're going on an adventure while hitting a golf ball on the way. I understand now how some other reviews I've read or seen describe a feeling of getting lost, or losing your bearings for a bit. I wasn't thinking about routing. I had no idea where the clubhouse was. I didn't really care about any of it because I was out in this beautiful landscape. The golf itself for me was just there. I would be perfectly happy spending an afternoon just walking the course without playing it. And that's a bit of a detriment, because at the end of the day, it is a golf course. As a golf course, I found it didn't really matter much how you played it as long as you hit decent shots. There was certainly an ideal way to play the course well, and I hit some awful shots and paid the price for them, but plenty of just okay shots I got away with because of the layout. In the end that's fine. I don't need every course I play to be a grueling test of my skills.  I'd make a return trip and play this course again. Sand Valley - 9.0 This one is a golf course first and a spectacular view second. Where Mammoth Dunes focuses on the adventure, Sand Valley focuses on the golf. It's still visually stunning, but just not quite on the grand scale that Mammoth Dunes is. And Sand Valley does not let you forget for even one second that you're out there to do one thing: to play golf. I don't remember having a single shot out there that didn't require my undivided attention. The course absolutely punished you for missing your spots. But the flip side of that coin is that it was extremely rewarding to hit good shots there. An example is #8 mentioned above - I don't think I have ever felt so pleased to hit a GW to 35' before in my life, and I might never again. The course is a challenge in the best way. It makes you want to rise up to face it. I want to go back and battle it again. I shot my best score of the week with an 87 at Lawsonia, but it's the 94 the second time playing Sand Valley that I'm most proud of. Like Mammoth Dunes above, I'd make a return trip specifically to play this course again. Bonus Stuff The facilities at Sand Valley Golf Resort were top notch. The prices at the pro shop were fair. The food and drinks were also reasonably priced and delicious. The food truck at The Sandbox had the best food in the whole complex, IMO. Lac La Belle I felt was fancy but overpriced. I bought a polo at the pro shop at Sand Valley, but a similar shirt at Lac La Belle was like 50% more expensive. The golf carts had beautiful leather seats, but I absolutely hate geo-mapping on the GPS systems. I don't know how many times it slowed me down to tell me not to drive in the fescue even though I was driving parallel to it 20 yards away. Lawsonia had an older clubhouse and it certainly had a quaint feeling to it. That's not a bad thing. I did not look to see the prices they were charging for their merchandise.
    • Every YouTube video should start with a 10- to 45-minute diagnosis to make sure the video you're about to watch applies to you. There are a LOT of reasons why someone hits a slice. YouTube videos do not start with a 45-minute "disclaimer" because nobody would get through it. They just want to stop slicing, but if the video shows a fix for something that the student doesn't do, the video is less than worthless — it may actually cause more damage. Don't watch YouTube videos unless they're just working on some fundamental things, or you're very confident that what they're going to show you actually applies to you.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Armando Araujo
      Armando Araujo
      (46 years old)
    2. chris3putt
      chris3putt
      (54 years old)
    3. CrazyHorsePete
      CrazyHorsePete
      (34 years old)
    4. DHak20
      DHak20
      (44 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...