IGNORED

Arm Lock Putting - Ban or Continue to Allow?

Arm Lock Putting  

43 members have voted

1. 1. If you were czar of the USGA and R&A, would you ban or continue to allow "Arm Lock" putting?

• Continue to Allow
    • Find a Way to Ban

• Administrator

Poll gets your answer, and poses the question, and the replies are for you to justify your vote.

Me, I don't really care. It's got some advantages, I'm sure, but so does the claw putting grip, or the conventional putting grip. And it has disadvantages, too.

It's legal because the putter can move about in 3D space, no point is really fixed, and the arms swing freely too, unlike the anchored putting stroke (really could have used a better name), where the grip end is usually fixed in 3D space.

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I grip down on chip shots all the time.

I see all the alternate grips and methods as crutches. I find putting with a traditional grip the easiest thing to do in golf. It baffles me how players who can drive it 330 yards, hit 3 irons dead ce

Posted Images

I'm more miffed by the likes of Adam Scott and Bernhard Langer

• Upvote 2

I think it’s ok because you still require the arms and hands to control the club without a fixed point.

I voted to allow. Langer and McCarron still anchor so what the hell....anchors away! 🤣

• Funny 1

I was talking to a Sr PGA Tour member and 4 time PGA winner 2 months ago and he mentioned that this would be the next big thing. He didn't have a big problem with it and thought it may extend a few careers. He did have an issue with anchoring and said that many guys still have a problem with Langer's non-anchored approach to the long putter. Interestingly enough he said he saw an elderly Sam Snead demo his illegal side saddle stroke and how he was lethal. 

Personally, I don't have an issue with it, and honestly didn't have an issue with the belly putter either. 

I have no issues with it so I voted continue to allow.  I putt very conventionally so it makes no difference to me, but I kinda like watching the pros try to find ways to be innovative with their putters and putting style.

I voted to ban the arm lock.   I realize there isn't a fixed point and I really don't have any real reason to dislike it, I just do.  

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a anchored putt.   :no:

I feel like arm lock adds stability and mechanically reduces a degree of freedom in case of a wristy stroke. So ban it.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I feel like arm lock adds stability and mechanically reduces a degree of freedom in case of a wristy stroke. So ban it.

It has negatives, too. And a heavier putter tends to "add stability and reduce a degree of freedom" too. Ban those too? What weight is acceptable to you?

3 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

I voted to continue to allow because I am currently using it. 😁

Which one you using? 

And I voted to allow, golf is hard, if it helps go for it.

(edited)
3 hours ago, iacas said:

It has negatives, too. And a heavier putter tends to "add stability and reduce a degree of freedom" too. Ban those too? What weight is acceptable to you?

I get your point. I just think it is tad bit similar to broomsticks that have contact to the body (forearms in this case) in addition to palms. A tiny skill cheat IMO. 

From what I understand weight has an individual sweet spot. Any heavier and distance consistency  suffers. 

Of course this all is based on a sample size of one - me vs. a few thousand of yours. So yeah.. don't think I will be exactly picketing for a ban or anything, just a little light Thursday afternoon musing..😊.

Edited by GolfLug

Voted no.

I think armlock putting looks kind of weird, especially the Zalatoris armlock claw stroke and Bryson's robotic motion, but I don't really care (I have a LAB DF 2.1, so it's not like my putter looks cool or anything). I don't see a reason to ban armlock as compared to the broomstick or belly putters which actually seem to have an anchor point.

I also voted no. 
I just don't see it as a huge advantage. 

I supported the belly putter ban. I think that's enough.

I'm going to preface this by saying I don't think any putting styles should be banned but if you are going to ban other anchoring styles it seems logical that this shouldn't be allowed as well. I don't see why they don't just make the rule that only your hands can make contact with the club when swinging and call it a day. 

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

I'm going to preface this by saying I don't think any putting styles should be banned but if you are going to ban other anchoring styles it seems logical that this shouldn't be allowed as well. I don't see why they don't just make the rule that only your hands can make contact with the club when swinging and call it a day. 

The anchoring ban banned strokes in which a point was "anchored" in 3D space, or "fixed" in space.

The Arm Lock putting style doesn't fix the putter (or arms) in place like they do.

14 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Which one you using? 

It's an Odyssey I made from this long putter.

Screenshot_20180511-202313.jpg.26b65f354dc0494809d59dbe324f720b.jpg

Had the shaft changed and new grip put on it.

20210416_093724.jpg.0f634e4b6507e1c399039a36291e88f2.jpg20210416_093746.jpg.bef43209924894b05d79251d4e94d46a.jpg

Could never get comfortable with the long one with the split grip. Arm Lock seems to be more stable on shorter putts. 

I still suck with speed.  🤷‍♂️