IGNORED

2021 PGA Championship @ Kiawah Island Ocean Course

iacas
Note: This thread is 1063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Straight downwind and firm. They're also hitting 7-irons into par fours.

Yeah, the wind is obviously a major factor on some courses, so it’s not all about the yardage.

A Norwegian website wrote that a caddie on the course said shots could have an eight club difference if the wind is changing direction. Idk. what winds would cause an eight club difference and if that would apply to the PGA pros, but it’s of course a factor.

On days with little to no wind, the yardage is easier to compare to other courses, but it doesn’t take elevation into account either.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Great first round by Hovland. He seemed to have had a pretty good day of ballstriking.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just saw Spieth use a rangefinder. Apparently they are allowed by the PGA.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I was just about to ask that, I just turned on the coverage and was wondering if they were going to take advantage of it

Colin P.

spieth-rangefinder.jpg

Major championship history is being made at the PGA Championship. For the first time, pros are allowed to use rangefinders in competition. Here's why.

I guess I forgot about the announcement last February.

• Informative 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

I really like the espn coverage. David Duvall and Scott Van Pelt might be my favorites. Or maybe it’s because they aren’t on as much as CBS and NBC?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I’m playing along on the WGT Golf Game. I’m sitting-2 after the first round! It’s really cool to see the holes live. The game is pretty close.

But it was a better game before Top Golf bought them out.  I am really disatisfied with the new look.

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Given where he sometimes hits it off the tee (still really like Jordan--I'm not hating!), I'd say the rangefinder may be very useful.

The rare one stroke slow play penalty to John Catlin... Took 63 seconds to play second shot after a warning on an earlier hole.

1621536287968.jpeg

John Catlin was twice flagged for taking too much time to hit shots, and the second time cost him a one-stroke penalty

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Ya love to see it!

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Ya love to see it!

Yes and I hope they will apply it even-handedly.  (Charley Hoffman 4 minutes, 2nd shot on the 18th at Torrey)

Edited by No Mulligans

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Yes and I hope they will apply it even-handedly.  (Charley Hoffman 4 minutes, 2nd shot on the 18th at Torrey)

He wasn't on the clock at the time, right?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

He wasn't on the clock at the time, right?

I don't remember, he must not have been.  Do you have to be on the clock to get a penalty?  Four minutes!

It was a big moment, last hole, par 5, 2nd shot, needed an eagle to tie Jason Day.  Laid up but it ended in the rough.  He was one of the last groups if not the last group.

Edited by No Mulligans

• Administrator
1 minute ago, No Mulligans said:

I don't remember, he must not have been.  Do you have to be on the clock to get a penalty?  Four minutes!

Yes. Context matters.

Say you are out in a twosome and you're first off on Sunday. You're on 18 in 3:10, four holes ahead of the next group behind you. You take four minutes to play a tricky shot that will win $1k off your fellow competitor, who doesn't care.

You're well under your time par. You could say you "banked" some time to use up for a tougher shot.

Context matters.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Yes. Context matters.

Say you are out in a twosome and you're first off on Sunday. You're on 18 in 3:10, four holes ahead of the next group behind you. You take four minutes to play a tricky shot that will win $1k off your fellow competitor, who doesn't care.

You're well under your time par. You could say you "banked" some time to use up for a tougher shot.

Context matters.

Yes, context does matter.  Which is why the three slow groups in front of me this morning should have been penalized.

23 hours ago, Zippo said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bryson won't make the cut (or, since the cutline is the top 70 plus ties), he'll be at the very bottom of the cut if he makes it. I'll take Sam Burns for the win at -11.

So far, I could still be right with Bryson but my Burns pick is looking mighty iffy... Go Hovland!

9 hours ago, Zippo said:

So far, I could still be right with Bryson but my Burns pick is looking mighty iffy... Go Hovland!

Burns withdrew. 😔

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Burns withdrew. 😔

Arrrrrgh! What about the millions I bet on him!? He owes me...

Note: This thread is 1063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!