IGNORED

2021 PGA Championship @ Kiawah Island Ocean Course

iacas
Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

The tournament was over when Oosthuizen missed the eagle opportunity. Nobody was catching Phil and you knew it.

I certainly didn't know it. It was only over when Phil hit the green on 18 and you knew there was no way he was 3 putting.

• Like 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

4 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea. I started watching cooking videos on YouTube with the TV on in the background.

The tournament was over when Oosthuizen missed the eagle opportunity. Nobody was catching Phil and you knew it.

Phil could’ve made a mess on 17. BK could’ve made the putt or birdied 18. There was plenty to see. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

18 was reminiscent of Arnie’s Army back in the day.

Great to see that kind of excitement and fan involvement once again.  

The cameras were focused on Phil but the glimpse of Brookes coming out of the crowd was great.  

could not tell if he had any security around as Phil did.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 minutes ago, Zippo said:

It wasn't so much about someone catching Phil as it was about the possibility of Phil blowing up.

I didn’t see it happening, not the way he was playing.

But I did leave the TV on, just in case 😉

Just now, Shorty said:

I certainly didn't know it. It was only over when Phil hit the green on 18 and you knew there was no way he was 3 putting.

Still would have won with a 3-putt.

2 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Phil could’ve made a mess on 17. BK could’ve made the putt or birdied 18. There was plenty to see. 

Could have. Lots of could haves. But most didn’t happen. He had a three shot lead going into 17.

I don’t know what to tell you. I watched it and I was bored. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

20 minutes ago, billchao said:

Still would have won with a 3-putt.

Not if Koepka had birdied.

Edited by Shorty

7 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Not if Koepka had birdied.

But you said yourself you knew Phil wasn’t going to 3-putt that green, so a Koepka birdie on 18 wouldn’t have mattered, either. By that point, you “knew” Phil was going to win.

I “knew” Phil was winning on 16. That’s how I felt when it happened and I stand by it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

19 minutes ago, billchao said:

But you said yourself you knew Phil wasn’t going to 3-putt that green, so a Koepka birdie on 18 wouldn’t have mattered, either. By that point, you “knew” Phil was going to win.

I “knew” Phil was winning on 16. That’s how I felt when it happened and I stand by it.

I get you. But, I really enjoyed this one for several reasons. The winner was only 6 under. A refreshing change from the 25 under goofy blowout we saw recently. It was great to see players penalized for errant shots.

Phil won which is great for all of us geezers - even if he is 20 years younger than some of us geezers. No expected Phil to win which is why the odds were something like 200 to 1 against him. I expected, even though he was leading, that he would blow it by the end of the day. His chip in from the sand 50 feet from the green was classic Phil - great theater.

And, Harry Higgs made into the next Masters with a T-4 and a 2 under. Who'da thunk it!? Good for you, Harry!

Oh. And Brooks lost - along with a bunch of other very good players.

Poor Phil never going to win the US Open now that he burned his old man major on this.

Good to see Rickie Fowler validate the special invitation he was extended to participate this year as well. Seems like he is maybe finally getting things back together.

Edited by measureoffsetinnm

29 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I get you. But, I really enjoyed this one for several reasons. The winner was only 6 under. A refreshing change from the 25 under goofy blowout we saw recently. It was great to see players penalized for errant shots.

Phil won which is great for all of us geezers - even if he is 20 years younger than some of us geezers. No expected Phil to win which is why the odds were something like 200 to 1 against him. I expected, even though he was leading, that he would blow it by the end of the day. His chip in from the sand 50 feet from the green was classic Phil - great theater.

And, Harry Higgs made into the next Masters with a T-4 and a 2 under. Who'da thunk it!? Good for you, Harry!

Oh. And Brooks lost - along with a bunch of other very good players.

To be fair, I didn’t say the tournament was boring, I said the last four holes were.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Even though he hadn't teed off on the treacherous 17th? Or kept it safe on 18?

Fact is, you didn't know, none of us did. If you had "known" you'd make a million dollars a day picking lucky numbers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I have a really hard time relating to the fans all holding their phones up taking videos. Like is a crappy cell phone video some sort of keepsake? Maybe I’m too old to understand (43).

I'm too old (37) to understand too.  I think the only times I've gone back and watched a video I recorded on my phone were either a golf swing recently (and that was to get the video ready for Evolvr) or when I taught classes in person, I'd occasionally record part of the exams on my phone when I suspected (or caught) a student cheating.  Those aren't exactly keepsakes.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, Shorty said:

Even though he hadn't teed off on the treacherous 17th? Or kept it safe on 18?

Fact is, you didn't know, none of us did. If you had "known" you'd make a million dollars a day picking lucky numbers. 

By "know" he just means he had a feeling. Sure Phil could mess up on 17 but if he is playing so well why think he would?

1 hour ago, measureoffsetinnm said:

By "know" he just means he had a feeling. Sure Phil could mess up on 17 but if he is playing so well why think he would?

Because it is the 17th at Kiawah. Look it up. His ball could've been in a worse spot than it was and left him an impossible chip.

And  - it's Phil. He has a lot of bad memories of wasted opportunities.

And, the magnitude of what he was very close to achieving.

No-one can say it was over with three holes to go. That's ridiculous. The last few holes were incredibly tense. Right until Phil hit it on the green on 18.

And..... FWIW, you can't "have a feeling" something is going to happen. You can hope or have a reasonable expectation but that's it.

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shorty said:

And..... FWIW, you can't "have a feeling" something is going to happen. You can hope or have a reasonable expectation but that's it.

You can? Getting a sense of something is a real thing. That doesn't mean for sure it will happen. I think it and "reasonable expectation" are two sides of the same coin.

Also you are correct about Phil's history but maybe once you see through 16 you don't think the slide is coming this time. The 17th at Kiawah is extremely difficult hole obviously but these are still professional golfers we are talking about. When they are fully confident and in the zone the course does not tend to win.

I think it’s hilarious you guys are essentially debating whether the end was exciting to @billchao or not. I thought it was pretty intense up to 18 approach simply because it’s Phil. Look what Tringale did. Phil is very capable of something like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 3

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Phil reminded me of Payne Stewart at Pinehurst. He looked focused, confident, and very much at peace. He seemed to be doing things just a bit slower than usual. I kept waiting for the drive off the planet, but he seemed very under control.

4 hours ago, Shorty said:

No-one can say it was over with three holes to go. That's ridiculous. The last few holes were incredibly tense. Right until Phil hit it on the green on 18.

Sure you can and I did. My “gut” said he wasn’t going to blow it, and I was right.

I felt he wasn’t going to blow it; he was simply playing too well and had a three shot lead going into 17. That made the finish boring to me. I don’t know how or why you’re trying to argue that.

50 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think it’s hilarious you guys are essentially debating whether the end was exciting to @billchao or not.

Exactly.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!