IGNORED

Worst Golf Course and Why

18 hours ago, measureoffsetinnm said:

Very interesting insight thank you. I unsurprisingly have heard much about both them as architects but have not had a chance to play a course designed by either of them. Agree that golf on rails is not good philosophy. For me much of the joy of the game is playstyle choice and creative shotmaking, not just executing the swings you are "supposed" to.

Jack's courses however seem like he maybe was just forgetting a bit that most golfers aren't quite as good as him 😅

Jack's courses always seem to be like you have to always be calculating and many risk/reward decisions. It's harder to relax on his courses, imo.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

In 30 years of playing golf, I finally found a course that could be called the worst.   There have been many that are really rough, bad design or other things but they usually had something going for them.   Or at least there was an experience that, even if you didn’t come back, you could remember.  

However one sad day, I hit upon Highland Creek in the the Charlotte area.  I have never seen such neglect or insanity in a golf course.   All the bunkers had no maintenance and had grass taking them over.  The greens were unevenly cut.   Worse was the fairway and rough, it looked like random areas were just missed, to the point where you would have random swathes of foot long rough in random places.

however the design was not going to save this POS.   The Creek in “Highland Creek” was because there was a creek that wound its way thru the property. Randomly.   One hole it would be 200 yards out, others 150 and others 250.   They apparently built the course around the creek with some really stupid design decisions, so it was always awkward playing a hole.   Things like playing a 4-iron and then having even more because you lay up.

I left after 13.  I hit three balls out of play on a par four with a split fairway and both sides were narrow.   No risk/reward.   Just hit the ball and pray it doesn’t take a bad bounce.   It was like a dime store fantasy course on an Xbox console.  The ones that would never exist in real life because you knew how to land the ball on a dime.   Highland Creek was not worth a dime.   Rumor was that it was owned by a company that owned several in the area and that was the one that they starved for funds,  it showed,

runner up: Crystal Springs in NJ.  A lot of courses leave the ground naturally as it is, and it can be tough.   This course wanted to be known as the toughest in the state so they made moguls in the fairways and deliberately built up areas to make it brutal.  Every other course in that area was great, Crystal Springs was a course designed and built by someone who hated the game and hated golfers. 

7 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

All the bunkers had no maintenance and had grass taking them over.  

To be fair this sounds like it might make bunkers a little bit more of the challenge they are supposed to be.

11 hours ago, measureoffsetinnm said:

To be fair this sounds like it might make bunkers a little bit more of the challenge they are supposed to be.

Not at the full rate that they were asking for….  Although I suppose the conversation went something like this:

owner:  how can we save a lot of money?

greenskeeper:  we’ll we could rebrand the sand traps as waste areas.  People could ground their clubs!  Win win!