IGNORED

My Swing (Sinik)

sinik
Note:Β This thread is 1030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator

I like a good number of their videos, but that one's 17 minutes+, so if you can narrow down specifically to what you're talking about, with a time stamp or something to when it starts, please do.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, iacas said:

I like a good number of their videos, but that one's 17 minutes+, so if you can narrow down specifically to what you're talking about, with a time stamp or something to when it starts, please do.

Definitely!

• First drill is at 7min18sΒ where he puts left hand under right tricep to feel connection going back.
  • Second drill is at 10min24s, where he does a move just like what you showed me.
  • Third drill/check is at 12min58s, where he basically resets his body to show where his hands actually are at the top of the flawed backswing.
    • I feel like this re-framing was the most illuminating for me for the issue you called out?
  • Fourth drill is at 15min4s, where it basically helps show what the right arm is really doing in the backswing (basically just folding more or less, if that's correct).

I think it's really telling that I feelΒ completely out of sortsΒ when I try to do a swing with just the trail arm (like in the first drill). Feels very hard to even do a simple pitch shot and has me thinking I should go to the range for a couple weeks just trying to focus on doing that and only that, but I know I'd have to be doing it correctly also ha..

I'm just really struggling with what my shape should be to have gained height from A2 to A4 as was originally mentioned. Perhaps an element that I'm not getting (that maybe an overhead view would help) is how far away from my trail shoulder my hands should be at the top of the backswing? Are they too close to my torso because I'm letting them get sucked in behind?

If you were to take a look at my position at the top, where would you want my hands to be? Where would you want my trail elbow to be? If they were consistently in those spots would I find it easier to move the right elbow properly in transition to help shallow the club?

Β 

kG0jCw2.png.d7167c60d5f7df6a183beaa8c3799182.png

Β 

As always, thanksΒ πŸ™‚

• Administrator
5 hours ago, sinik said:

If you were to take a look at my position at the top, where would you want my hands to be? Where would you want my trail elbow to be? If they were consistently in those spots would I find it easier to move the right elbow properly in transition to help shallow the club?

Like Shaun says all the time: if an instructor lets you go to this position you posted above and does these things, you'll be fine:

• Pushes your right shoulder back (toward the target).
  • Pulls your hands away (away from the target).
  • Lifts your right elbow a bit farther off your ribs (your shoulder joint elevates the right upper arm).

Then you'll be fine. And you won't lose much "depth" in doing that.

Β 

That video is an extemporaneous dry run at a video I plan to formally do at some point when I have the time. πŸ™‚

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

Like Shaun says all the time: if an instructor lets you go to this position you posted above and does these things, you'll be fine:

• Pushes your right shoulder back (toward the target).
  • Pulls your hands away (away from the target).
  • Lifts your right elbow a bit farther off your ribs (your shoulder joint elevates the right upper arm).

Then you'll be fine. And you won't lose much "depth" in doing that.

Β 

That video is an extemporaneous dry run at a video I plan to formally do at some point when I have the time. πŸ™‚

• "Pushes your right shoulder back (toward the target)."
    • Meaning on the axis of rotation around my spine that my shoulders go more than 90 degrees? Bit confused by this one, as I would imagine that pushing right shoulder back brings left shoulder more forward (toward camera)
  • "Pulls your hands away (away from the target)."
    • Meaning if I drew a line parallel to target line, hands would get closer to the camera but stay on roughly the same line (aside from whatever changes from your 3rd point about the right elbow)?
    • Is this and the push right shoulder back basically two sides of the same coin? Meaning you mentioned both to make sure I didn't under-rotate my right shoulder back towards the target in an attempt to pull hands away?

"That video is an extemporaneous dry run at a video I plan to formally do at some point when I have the time."

This video is incredible. I know you probably had an idea to do something for the benefitΒ of TST and/or 5SK anyways, but it really feels like you filmed this to help me visualize it ha..

Β 

When you're showing the arm raise then turn version, and at the bending the trail elbow step, does the left arm need to somewhat move a bit backwards (towards camera) to accommodate the bending? Certainly feels like it when I try to replicate.

Β 

Again, thanks!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, sinik said:
  • "Pushes your right shoulder back (toward the target)."
    • Meaning on the axis of rotation around my spine that my shoulders go more than 90 degrees? Bit confused by this one, as I would imagine that pushing right shoulder back brings left shoulder more forward (toward camera)

Why would it? No, it doesn't.

• "Pulls your hands away (away from the target)."
    • Meaning if I drew a line parallel to target line, hands would get closer to the camera but stay on roughly the same line (aside from whatever changes from your 3rd point about the right elbow)?
    • Is this and the push right shoulder back basically two sides of the same coin? Meaning you mentioned both to make sure I didn't under-rotate my right shoulder back towards the target in an attempt to pull hands away?

Yes, and not two sides of the same coin, but from face on the right shoulder goes right, the hands go left. The distance widens.

When you're showing the arm raise then turn version, and at the bending the trail elbow step, does the left arm need to somewhat move a bit backwards (towards camera) to accommodate the bending? Certainly feels like it when I try to replicate.

Of course. One side of the triangle gets shorter. πŸ™‚

(edited)
8 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why would it? No, it doesn't.

Hmm guess I always tried to think of the two shoulders as equally moving opposite pieces and that's then a misconception. Is it truly right shoulder back or more like right shoulder back as an effect of right elbow external rotation and abduction?

Edited by sinik

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, sinik said:

Hmm guess I always tried to think of the two shoulders as equally moving opposite pieces and that's then a misconception. Is it truly right shoulder back or more like right shoulder back as an effect of right elbow external rotation and abduction?

You can't keep your left shoulder in place and move your right shoulder?

Of course you can.

Time to post in some other topics, and get to work practicing these things, my man.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can't keep your left shoulder in place and move your right shoulder?

Of course you can.

Well, I feelΒ like I can't without my right elbow leading that movement, that's all

Β 

Β Β 

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Time to post in some other topics

you got it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 2:56 PM, sinik said:

4 iron DTL

Β 

Β 

I've been trying to work on getting my right elbow off my torso and feel like I've been having some success. This change has made the driver completely fall apart, which isn't as fun, but eh small steps.
Β 

(ball swing starts at 0:27)
Β 

I know I'm still early extending, but I'm wondering if I'm heading in the right direction with my backswing and position at the top.

A few things I noticed/wondering:
-Β I find as I get to the top of the swing my wrists feel very restricted. I feel like I couldn't do anymore radial deviation of the left wrist. For example also, I feel like it would be impossible for me to bow my wrist at the top. Maybe this is ok but just something I noticed.
- In transition my right leg stays straight and I just turn my hips and I figure this is likely a big contributing factor in the early extension.
- Is that little hip-rotate-kick to the left,Β justΒ before I start my backswing a tick I should get rid of? I only notice it sometimes when I swing but it's almost always on camera.
- Obviously there's no ball and it's still a little out to in, but in the practice swing it looks to me like I drop my right elbow and get in the slotΒ betterΒ than I do in my real swing and even kinda remove the chicken-wing follow-through, but (to my untrained feels I guess), the practice swing and real swing feel exactly the same which is a bit frustrating. When I hear hit impulse, I think of my swing heh

Thanks πŸ™‚Β 

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, sinik said:

I know I'm still early extending, but I'm wondering if I'm heading in the right direction with my backswing and position at the top.

You're EEing because it's the only way you can try to deliver the club from inside slightly given where your elbow still gets at the top.

01.jpg

Your upper arm still points too much away from the ball, not along the green arrow, and so your elbow gets too far around behind/beside you.

It's basically almost no different than post #20 except it's higher up. It's still pointing in the same direction.

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're EEing because it's the only way you can try to deliver the club from inside slightly given where your elbow still gets at the top.

01.jpg

Your upper arm still points too much away from the ball, not along the green arrow, and so your elbow gets too far around behind/beside you.

It's basically almost no different than post #20 except it's higher up. It's still pointing in the same direction.

I think I'm misunderstanding. Since you said upper arm, I assumed you meant my trail/right arm, but then the green arrow throws me off in relation. With a top-down view, do you mean my trail elbow is pointing more like aqua rather than yellow?

Capture2.PNG

• Administrator

I think I'm misunderstanding. Since you said upper arm, I assumed you meant my trail/right arm, but then the green arrow throws me off in relation. With a top-down view, do you mean my trail elbow is pointing more like aqua rather than yellow?

Capture2.PNG

Your trail upper arm points more along the blue arrow and not the yellow one, yes.

Hence the video I posted of me wearing black.

Just now, iacas said:

Your trail upper arm points more along the blue arrow and not the yellow one, yes.

Hence the video I posted of me wearing black.

That tricky 'ol 3D space! Cheers that makes more sense.

So would I want to try tuck my right elbow more in at address to aid this so that it doesn't slip out wide like that?

Would one of those tour striker balls be useful me possibly?

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, sinik said:

So would I want to try tuck my right elbow more in at address to aid this so that it doesn't slip out wide like that?

No. Absolutely not.

Did you watch the video of me in the black? Keep your elbow more in front of your chest, not as far around beside you.

Β Β 

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. Absolutely not.

Β Β Cool, I like to 'sensitivity test', so to speak,Β so a guardrail like that is helpful.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Did you watch the video of me in the black? Keep your elbow more in front of your chest, not as far around beside you.

Yep, but the height-then-depth was tough for me. I think doing depth-then-height revealed that I may be turning backwards poorly. I think I was rotating back flat at the hips 90 degrees rather than rotating my shoulders 90 degrees perpendicular to my spine angle and letting my hip rotation be lead by that.

I'll stick with it and focus on filming the drill repeatedly until I can groove a feel for the proper hand position. Thanks.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, sinik said:

Yep, but the height-then-depth was tough for me. I think doing depth-then-height revealed that I may be turning backwards poorly. I think I was rotating back flat at the hips 90 degrees rather than rotating my shoulders 90 degrees perpendicular to my spine angle and letting my hip rotation be lead by that.

It's not about "height then depth" (I do it the other way too). It's about where it puts your right upper arm.

Which is pointing more away from the target than away from the ball.

Yeah I just think it throws me off because of where I horizontally align my two hands when trying the version whereΒ I raise my arms first. Makes it awkward for me to move to the intermediate steps before I rotate back. But maybe that's the point, maybe it being awkward for me is a signal of the fact I'mΒ just doing it wrong haha

Note:Β This thread is 1030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!