Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've always had a strong aversion to the left heel coming off the ground.  When I would see other do it I felt very cringy.  Thanks to some injuries and some extra lbs, I've been having trouble getting my hands into the right position at the top of my backswing.  I've flared my right foot a little and it helped some but not enough.  I randomly decided to try lifting my left heel a little while hitting a bucket at the range.  The results were dramatic.  What do you think about the practice of lifting the left heel?

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, vct33 said:

I've always had a strong aversion to the left heel coming off the ground.  When I would see other do it I felt very cringy.  Thanks to some injuries and some extra lbs, I've been having trouble getting my hands into the right position at the top of my backswing.  I've flared my right foot a little and it helped some but not enough.  I randomly decided to try lifting my left heel a little while hitting a bucket at the range.  The results were dramatic.  What do you think about the practice of lifting the left heel?

The results will be temporary. I’ll let the swing gurus comment on the possible benefits of doing it. But a sudden change yielding ‘drastic’ results is usually temporary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, vct33 said:

I've always had a strong aversion to the left heel coming off the ground.  When I would see other do it I felt very cringy.  Thanks to some injuries and some extra lbs, I've been having trouble getting my hands into the right position at the top of my backswing.  I've flared my right foot a little and it helped some but not enough.  I randomly decided to try lifting my left heel a little while hitting a bucket at the range.  The results were dramatic.  What do you think about the practice of lifting the left heel?

I started doing it per my instructor. It does add a bit of rotation and then unweighting a replanting can add some speed. Best advice is to film your swing doing with and without lifting and see what changes. 

  • Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

The results will be temporary. I’ll let the swing gurus comment on the possible benefits of doing it. But a sudden change yielding ‘drastic’ results is usually temporary.

More often than not its a "range groove".  Until it replicates on the course don't be looking for a sponsor on the PGA Tour...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

More often than not its a "range groove".  Until it replicates on the course don't be looking for a sponsor on the PGA Tour...

Yeah…I know we sound like Debbie Downers…but this happens all too often. It’s the ever popular ‘eureka’ moment that almost always crushes the soul in a day or so…..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah…I know we sound like Debbie Downers…but this happens all too often. It’s the ever popular ‘eureka’ moment that almost always crushes the soul in a day or so…..

Umm, I'm not asking for opinions on the results.  I understand that not everything on the range translates to the course.  I'm asking for opinions on whether or not you believe it's ok for the left heel to come up.

 

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I started doing it per my instructor. It does add a bit of rotation and then unweighting a replanting can add some speed. Best advice is to film your swing doing with and without lifting and see what changes. 

Thank you for actually answering the question I asked.  That's interesting that your instructor gave you that advise.  I'm not the same student of the game that I was in my prime 20 years ago but it was always kind of frowned upon then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, vct33 said:

I'm asking for opinions on whether or not you believe it's ok for the left heel to come up.

Yes, it's okay.  Jack did it.  Many others.  I can see the value if you are no longer as flexible as you were in your youth.  Personally, I believe it requires more timing.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve been told that letting your foot come up is fine. Purposely lifting it may cause some problems. If your flexibility causes your foot to come up during the backswing it’s fine I would believe.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve been told that letting your foot come up is fine. Purposely lifting it may cause some problems. If your flexibility causes your foot to come up during the backswing it’s fine I would believe.

It’s basically this, letting it rise. My instructor used Stenson, Nicklaus and Kyle Berkshire as examples with a slight shift back. It can add power for the driver. But I had already solidified other back and downswing elements. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lifting the left heel is the iron covers of swing fixes.

  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve been told that letting your foot come up is fine. Purposely lifting it may cause some problems. If your flexibility causes your foot to come up during the backswing it’s fine I would believe.

Thanks.  This is actually a much better description.  I'm not actively lifting my heel it's more that I'm no longer consciously keeping it down.  As a result it's coming up a bit and I'm getting to a better position at the top.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, vct33 said:

I've always had a strong aversion to the left heel coming off the ground.  When I would see other do it I felt very cringy.  Thanks to some injuries and some extra lbs, I've been having trouble getting my hands into the right position at the top of my backswing.  I've flared my right foot a little and it helped some but not enough.  I randomly decided to try lifting my left heel a little while hitting a bucket at the range.  The results were dramatic.  What do you think about the practice of lifting the left heel?

I find, as an old geezer just a bit away from the edge of the mortality table, that lifting the lead heel and letting my lead knee point towards or even slightly behind the ball, gives me a bit more rotation and the act of replanting it improves my pressure shift to the lead foot. My handicap is slowing creeping downwards so it seems to be working for me or, at least, it FEELS like it's working...  😈

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
40 minutes ago, vct33 said:

Thanks.  This is actually a much better description.  I'm not actively lifting my heel it's more that I'm no longer consciously keeping it down.  As a result it's coming up a bit and I'm getting to a better position at the top.

I think you’re on the right track with this. You don’t want to lift the heel just for the sake of lifting it, but you also don’t want to forcibly keep it down, either.

Some people can make a good turn without lifting the lead heel and some can’t. The heel itself is not the important part.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not a guru but it certainly seems plausible to me that a swing would be learned based on a certain degree of hip rotation and if you have lost muscular flexibility it is also plausible that you would need to let your heel come off the ground during the backswing to achieve that same range of motion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It’s basically this, letting it rise. My instructor used Stenson, Nicklaus and Kyle Berkshire as examples with a slight shift back. It can add power for the driver. But I had already solidified other back and downswing elements. 

I dunno if this is 100% relevant to the thread but I recently watched this video Kyle Berkshire uploaded and found his preshot routine to be super fascinating. For long drive this kind of motion makes a ton of sense before initiating the backswing. 

Maybe this is better for a thread specifically about this, but check out the time stamp here. Really cool he has this in his swing:

I dunno how safe this would be for amateurs to use, but I think a lot of people who get too stack-and-tilty in the backswing could benefit from trying this on the range sometime -- as long as it's done properly and doesn't introduce some ugly hip sway or something. In the hands of a more self-aware swing tinkerer tho, this could be useful, I dunno.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but he does lift his lead heel at least on the backswing 😄 Perhaps this is a placebo of sorts, but I could see how this exaggerated hopping back-and-forth just before drawing the club back could be beneficial in loading the trail side well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
3 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

I dunno if this is 100% relevant to the thread but I recently watched this video Kyle Berkshire uploaded and found his preshot routine to be super fascinating. For long drive this kind of motion makes a ton of sense before initiating the backswing. 

Maybe this is better for a thread specifically about this, but check out the time stamp here. Really cool he has this in his swing:

I dunno how safe this would be for amateurs to use, but I think a lot of people who get too stack-and-tilty in the backswing could benefit from trying this on the range sometime -- as long as it's done properly and doesn't introduce some ugly hip sway or something. In the hands of a more self-aware swing tinkerer tho, this could be useful, I dunno.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but he does lift his lead heel at least on the backswing 😄 Perhaps this is a placebo of sorts, but I could see how this exaggerated hopping back-and-forth just before drawing the club back could be beneficial in loading the trail side well.

It’s a good drill to do with lifting the front heel. It’s similar to the full swing flow COVID drill. The feel I use is more planting the left foot back down and pushing back.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
8 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

I dunno if this is 100% relevant to the thread but I recently watched this video Kyle Berkshire uploaded and found his preshot routine to be super fascinating. For long drive this kind of motion makes a ton of sense before initiating the backswing. 

Maybe this is better for a thread specifically about this, but check out the time stamp here. Really cool he has this in his swing:

I dunno how safe this would be for amateurs to use, but I think a lot of people who get too stack-and-tilty in the backswing could benefit from trying this on the range sometime -- as long as it's done properly and doesn't introduce some ugly hip sway or something. In the hands of a more self-aware swing tinkerer tho, this could be useful, I dunno.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but he does lift his lead heel at least on the backswing 😄 Perhaps this is a placebo of sorts, but I could see how this exaggerated hopping back-and-forth just before drawing the club back could be beneficial in loading the trail side well.

I tried this for about two weeks.  Was great on the range.  Not so much on the course.  And I couldn't hit it quite as long as Kyle.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Funny 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • I’ve not really noticed anything,  I’ve played in the wet and I’ve hit with a wet face because I haven’t bothered to wipe it off.  However my pattern is “Jekyll and Hyde” so I tend to either hit it pretty straight or hit bad shots that are pretty bad.   So I doubt I would notice something that was saved by a few feet due to a wet/coated club face.  Usually trees do a better job for me to keep it in play.
    • When water gets on my driver face I hit knuckleballs... not my preferred shot shape.
    • Thing is… a lot of slower swinging players could probably use MORE spin.
    • There is someone at my club who has been noticed putting Vaseline or chap stick on his driver to reduce spin.   The person who told me said that they were told not to do it if money was on the line.   So I guess it’s a thing.  
    • Our Mens Golf Association has bylaws that talk about keeping things in the spirit of the game and polices certain behaviors and situations.  The person who runs it is a fierce competitor and when he talks match play strategy, he will say things about how he plays to put pressure on people to win and get into their head by trying to bury them or play aggressively at the start to make an opponent go in the defensive.   He doesn’t trash talk or say things to mess with people. As golfers, or people, there are going to be people who try and exploit anything they can get away with and it’s best to be prepared to deal with it and not let it bother you.  People who are jerks and push it too far will get reputations and in the end if they are excessive, it’ll rebound on them.  
  • Today's Birthdays


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...