My kid got me to watch some of Tom Sagudo's videos on YouTube.  His teaching method transcends all the other instructional videos I have ever seen. Got my kid to quit swaying in two videos.  Great drills, simple explanations. I am really thinking about springing for his on line courses. Has anyone taken his on line courses?

23 minutes ago, Esox said:

My kid got me to watch some of Tom Sagudo's videos on YouTube.  His teaching method transcends all the other instructional videos I have ever seen. Got my kid to quit swaying in two videos.  Great drills, simple explanations. I am really thinking about springing for his on line courses. Has anyone taken his on line courses?

I’ve watched a lot of his videos and do find him entertaining. I can’t speak for his actual course but it seems like he basically teaches a really flat swing?  The only complete disagreement I found with him was his teaching the ‘hit up with the driver’ video. He completely neglects the fact that for players swinging below 100mph this really isn’t optimal. 

• Like 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve watched a lot of his videos and do find him entertaining. I can’t speak for his actual course but it seems like he basically teaches a really flat swing?  The only complete disagreement I found with him was his teaching the ‘hit up with the driver’ video. He completely neglects the fact that for players swinging below 100mph this really isn’t optimal. 

Agreed. At 61 I still swing well over 100 mph, but find my accuracy is best when I hit a 10.5 degree driver with a level or even slightly descending blow. If I hit up with the driver I can get quite hooky. I prefer a power fade, my balls run into trouble more than they fly there. A softer landing fade mitigates a lot of issues for me.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Esox said:

Agreed. At 61 I still swing well over 100 mph, but find my accuracy is best when I hit a 10.5 degree driver with a level or even slightly descending blow. If I hit up with the driver I can get quite hooky. I prefer a power fade, my balls run into trouble more than they fly there. A softer landing fade mitigates a lot of issues for me.

Oh sorry! I miss-typed. He teaches hitting DOWN on the driver. No, No, No. A little more control is possible with a downward stroke but critical distance is lost for those with SS below 100mph.

Edited by Vinsk

(edited)

The dude is definitely entertaining.  First time I've ever heard elbow position in the backswing related to arm farts... Butch Harmon never told me this.

Couldn't overlook the white belt, though.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

43 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

The dude is definitely entertaining.  First time I've ever heard elbow position in the backswing related to arm farts... Butch Harmon never told me this.

Couldn't overlook the white belt, though.

Lol yeah. I think he may a bit like Venetos in that he doesn’t realize that how he swings…all the components are important and what comes easy or natural to him just doesn’t translate to everybody.

For example Venetos constantly says ‘stillness’ is the key. No it isn’t. I can still hit it fat despite  keeping 70-90% of my weight forward. It’s in my hands and lead arm. He doesn’t accept that not everybody can just grab the club and use a functional grip and perform correct wrist action ‘by doing nothing with our hands.’

Tom over simplifies what he’s doing as well. ‘Just swing around your body.’ Ok. Shank. What happened? ‘You’ll feel like you’re swinging it down by your waist.’ Ok…yeah I did. Push. Slice. Another shank. But I’m swinging around my body. Yada yada….

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 8:35 AM, Esox said:

To each their own I guess, but I find his whole presentation style a bit much... maybe he's good, dunno, but can't get past the style and tone.

Would not $ be better spent on working with someone live and in person, or is online the best way these days.