IGNORED

Opponent Did Not Know Stroke and Distance Rule

ChetlovesMer

We had a somewhat similar situation happen at our invitational tournament a couple of years ago.  The format is one qualifying round to determine the top 32 guys and then 5 rounds of match play to get to a champion.  In one of the championship flight matches, a guy hit his ball into the woods and when it was suggested he re-tee a provisional, he was very confused.  He had no idea that if he lost his ball he could not just drop where it went into the woods.  He actually thought the playing competitors were trying to cheat him by not letting him drop where the ball went into the woods, and it took quite a bit of convincing to play his third with a stroke and distance penalty.

The next year, I played in the same 4-some with him at a similar format tournament at his home course, and it helped me understand his confusion .  His course has a local rule to play all wooded areas as a lateral hazard.  I got paired with him in the match play, and found out that he had only been golfing 6-8 years and had a very quick rise from beginner to low single digit handicap - and 95%+ of his career rounds were at his home course.  He just didn't ever learn the rules of golf and assumed that his course's local rules were the rules of golf. 

• Informative 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo after clicking this link. For Mevo+, click this link or the image above.
    • I have a [hopefully positive] update! I went back today and was re-fitted by a seemingly much more senior person. He actually measured my wrist to floor (I'm actually more or less standard, apparently) and took multiple lie board readings. I was hitting a 1* upright club at the time and it was repeatedly still 1-2 degrees towards the toe, so we settled on a 2* upright fit. As far as shaft was concerned, he suggested a Project X IO 6.0 (110g). The launch was still lower than my current clubs (DG R300), at about 70ft peak, on average. Spin was still low though, peaking at 4.5k. Interestingly, the upright lie didn't exaggerate the draw/hooks, so I'm much happier now. Thanks for everyone's input. If there are no further opinions on this new shaft then I guess I'll stop complaining and wait for it to be delivered!
    • Day 44. 1/18/2022 played indoor golf at Sim City experimenting with different focus of attention during shots.
    • Day 87 (01/18/22) - Putting drills today. Ladder drill, pendulum drill and gate drill.
    • While I'm not disputing that may be true in many cases, the salesperson from the company doing the demo is being paid to do the demos and if one were whacking away in an adjacent bay as @Double Mocha Manindicated while I was trying to find the right club for me, I certainly would not be too tempted to purchase their clubs. If he wants me to buy an expensive set of clubs from him, he better be at least pretending I matter, in my opinion.
    • Ordered mine, too.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Cy McCaffrey
      Cy McCaffrey
      (40 years old)
    2. MPD
      MPD
      (65 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...