IGNORED

Broke 80 for the First Time! A 76! Woohoo!

6 hours ago, BamaWade said:

wade-whoo.thumb.jpg.316b0606318b2df43297188d58bc98e7.jpg

So, that's my "Whoo!" face, haha.

It took me 30+ years, but I finally broke 80.  Okay….SMASHED 80!  That’s a 76!

If you can see the scorecard, you can see it was a rough (or normal, for me) start.  In fact, I pretty much topped my opening 3w off the tee.  Then on the 4th tee I took a practice swing where I let the clubhead release properly and it hit me like a bolt of lightning.  From there, was picking really specific targets off the tee and it seemed like I hit virtually every one.  Yeah, only 1 birdie (my putting was 'meh'...and see more about hole 17 below...grr!), but no doubles.  12/14 fairways, 11/18 GIRs (with 4 more fringe/nGIRs), and 32 putts.

I paid zero attention to the card.  Seriously.  Had no clue of my score until I thought about it on 16 and knew I had to be close, but didn't tally it.  Then, after a chunky-ish 5i off 17, I hit my 4-hybrid to 8' from 187y!  Hit what I thought was my best putt of the day, only to have it hang half over the lip.  And it was a downhiller!  I didn't wait 10 seconds, because it was getting dark (I don't think it would've dropped).  But I almost holed out on 18 and tapped my closing birdie in to finish in style, and figured that got me there...or better.

This feels so amazing.  I play a lot of sports even at 45yo, but am a mediocre athlete.  I've always known I was capable, as I hit it really well when I'm on, but just have never been able to maintain 'on'.  Probably 12-15 years ago, I had a handful of 81s within a few years, then nothing close since.  I sprinkle in a few 83s and 84s from time to time, but scramble for those.  But this year has been rough.  Shot a 93 with my dad a few weeks ago that honestly had the ball striking of a 100+ round...I just scrambled half-decent.  It made me want to put the clubs away.

I had a key thought going in to have the feel of covering the ball better.  It's what I'd done towards the end of my last round, and started really hitting it well.  But I started today with several tight-feeling block fades.  Once I finally had that feeling of releasing the clubhead, it just clicked.  Then, I could just whale on 'em every time up with no fear.

Yeah, I know all about regression to the mean.  But definitely gonna enjoy the night!  This was a true bucket list item I had almost given up on attaining.  For you guys that do it regularly, much respect.  And for you guys still chasing it...don't give up!  Mods--GIVE THIS BOY HIS "BROKE 80" BADGE!!  🤩

Good for you. Congratulations. 

People who don't golf, don't get it. 

As a person who's not naturally good at golf, I can really appreciate the achievement. Seriously, it IS a great feeling and a great achievement. ENJOY

• Thanks 1
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congratulations! But, can you quit looking so dang smug about it?   😁  Seriously - go out and do it again!

• Thanks 1

Congratulations! Best post of the week! Like you said, you didn't just break 80, you crushed it.  If anything, you mentally have made it to a new level. 

• Thanks 1

A big congratulations to you! I have a good golf buddy who finally broke 80 in the same fashion, by shooting a 76. The kicker is that two weeks later on a more difficult course he shot 76 again!

• Thanks 1

That's awesome mate. That is a huge goal of mine too. 83 is my best so far. I'm quietly confident I'll do it this year but I thought that last year too 😂. Delighted for you 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone who let me share the moment with ya.  @David in FL, @paperclip, @measureoffsetinnm, @Shindig, @ChetlovesMer, @Zippo, @TourSpoon, @overfade, @Double Mocha Man, @Nail, and @ncates00--thanks for the comments and encouragement!  

On 5/14/2021 at 2:19 PM, Nail said:

That's awesome mate. That is a huge goal of mine too. 83 is my best so far. I'm quietly confident I'll do it this year but I thought that last year too 😂. Delighted for you 

You'll definitely get there.  Maybe when ya least expect it--then...boom!

On 5/14/2021 at 8:44 AM, Zippo said:

Congratulations! But, can you quit looking so dang smug about it?   😁  Seriously - go out and do it again!

Haha.  Thanks, Zippo.  My wife took a 'normal smile' pic, and, well...let's just say I'm not photogenic.  'Whoo! face' won out. ;-)

Wade

• Like 2

Sorry I’m late to the party…but damn….congrats! That’s awesome!

• Thanks 1

Congratulations!  That is an achievement that I've never had.

Oh yeah... and... ROLL TIDE!

• Thanks 1

• iacas changed the title to Broke 80 for the First Time! A 76! Woohoo!
1 hour ago, bwdial said:

Congratulations!  That is an achievement that I've never had.

Oh yeah... and... ROLL TIDE!

Thanks, @bwdial.  And ROLL TIDE!  Been a great year so far Bama athletics.  Hoping the softball gals go all the way to OKC and have a chance to bring in another trophy to title town. 

Congratulations! Inspiring. It's nice to golf giving back. :beer:.

Keep it up. 

• Thanks 1