IGNORED

Did You Know…?

Billy Z

12 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I think that most everybody knows that dimples aid in the flight of a golf ball, but do they realize the science behind it? The video attached gets a bit in depth of this science. Did you know:

Yup. Dimples create turbulent flow instead of laminar flow around a golf ball. Reduces the low pressure zone behind it and thus reduces aerodynamic drag.

It’s bee applied to cars, as well. Including the Volkswagen Golf 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Huh.  And here I thought dimples on a golf ball were just so they'd look cute. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

When Harriet Tubman was born, Thomas Jefferson was still alive.

When Harriet Tubman died, Ronald Reagan was alive.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

7 hours ago, DeadMan said:

When Harriet Tubman was born, Thomas Jefferson was still alive.

When Harriet Tubman died, Ronald Reagan was alive.

Oh this one reminded me of something.

John Tyler, 10th president of the United States, has a living grandson.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, billchao said:

Dang ^^^

I will continue with the presidential theme in this post, it is quite personal to me, as my dad died on the 4th of July (7-4-07, and was buried on 7-7-7). Anyways:

Three presidents died on the Fourth of July.
Presidents that have died on July 4Shutterstock

Here's something else you probably didn't know about John Adams: He died on the Fourth of July. And he wasn't the only commander in chief to do so. In fact, three of the nation's five founding fathers—Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe—died on Independence Day. Adams and Jefferson even passed on the same exact day: July 4, 1826, which happened to be the 50th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. Monroe died five years later, on July 4, 1831.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Did you guys look up this genealogy stuff on Google or is it general knowledge?   :smartass:

I’m full of random trivia. Unfortunately, I can’t always pull anything out on demand, so it’s as useless as it sounds.

Bill

My Swing Thread

5 hours ago, billchao said:

This article is a bit older so not sure if she's still alive, but as of 5 years ago there was still a woman getting a Civil War pension as the daughter of a Civil War veteran!

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-08-08/civil-war-vets-pension-still-remains-on-governments-payroll-151-years-after-last-shot-fired

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

1 hour ago, mdl said:

This article is a bit older so not sure if she's still alive, but as of 5 years ago there was still a woman getting a Civil War pension as the daughter of a Civil War veteran!

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-08-08/civil-war-vets-pension-still-remains-on-governments-payroll-151-years-after-last-shot-fired

Oddly enough I knew this, too. I have no idea how.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to Did You Know…?
8 hours ago, billchao said:

I’m full of random trivia. Unfortunately, I can’t always pull anything out on demand, so it’s as useless as it sounds.

I once won some friends a beer by having a random trivia on demand.  Shortly after SB50, I was with some friends at a bar trivia night.  The last question was to name the three QBs who have started in the SB for multiple teams (note before anyone says it:  this was well prior to four months ago).  Everyone else in the bar got 2, I managed to pull all three and we won the contest (this was just a question in there) by one.

In case it's ever relevant to someone here:  Franco Harris and Lynn Swann won SB MVP in consecutive years and share a birthday (month and day at least). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 5/24/2021 at 9:07 PM, Shindig said:

I once won some friends a beer by having a random trivia on demand.  Shortly after SB50, I was with some friends at a bar trivia night.  The last question was to name the three QBs who have started in the SB for multiple teams (note before anyone says it:  this was well prior to four months ago).  Everyone else in the bar got 2, I managed to pull all three and we won the contest (this was just a question in there) by one.

In case it's ever relevant to someone here:  Franco Harris and Lynn Swann won SB MVP in consecutive years and share a birthday (month and day at least). 

Right off the bat I cannot name three quarterbacks. When you mentioned the names Lynn Swann and Franco Harris it brings back some old time memories!

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

Right off the bat I cannot name three quarterbacks. When you mentioned the names Lynn Swann and Franco Harris it brings back some old time memories!

Can't name three quarterbacks or the three who have started the Super Bowl for multiple teams?  At the time of the trivia event I described earlier, the three were Craig Morton, Kurt Warner, and Peyton Manning.   The first of those three I think was the deciding point.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Kingda Ka, is it still the highest with the biggest drop? According to Wikipedia it is. What humans do for thrills!

1 hour ago, Billy Z said:

Did U Know some of this stuff about the Masters Tournament?

https://blog.clubmagnoliahospitality.com/12-things-you-never-knew-about-augusta-national/

Heard some of them before.

In #11, why is the crow’s nest “infamous”? They don’t say why it has a bad reputation. I can see that applying to Ike’s pond in #10, though.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

2 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Did U Know some of this stuff about the Masters Tournament?

https://blog.clubmagnoliahospitality.com/12-things-you-never-knew-about-augusta-national/

I find it humorous that is point #3 they say the winner of the Master’s is not considered “Champion” then in #5 they talk about the previous year’s champion awarding the current  champion the green jacket. 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

On 5/26/2021 at 1:07 PM, Billy Z said:

Kingda Ka, is it still the highest with the biggest drop? According to Wikipedia it is. What humans do for thrills!

It opened 16 years ago already? Time flies.

I remember when it first opened, the line was several hours long and it got periodically shut down for maintenance issues. They were giving people on the line vouchers to return at closing. My friends wanted to ride it and I convinced them that three hours at Six Flags could be better spent elsewhere. Still never rode it and I don’t plan to.

Bill

My Swing Thread