IGNORED

Is Phil the 3rd Best Player of All Time?

DeadMan
Note: This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

Where did you get these numbers? Unless you are manipulating the data for your argument? 

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 3.01.43 PM.png

Doesn't matter. # of wins, # of majors, strength of competition. 

Hogan won 3 more majors than Phils 6 hence 50%…….. etc 

Saying “doesn’t matter” is a bit blinkered. 

Stevie T

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Beastie said:

Hogan won 3 more majors than Phils 6 hence 50%…….. etc 

Saying “doesn’t matter” is a bit blinkered. 

To me it doesn't matter how long it took him to get the stats. Just like it was bad luck that Hogan had a career altering injury, we can't be giving him credit for wins he didn't get. 

Also, I think looking at it as a straight percentage of how many majors Phil has to Hogan is better. If we are comparing the two, and if you want to look at how close Phil was. He achieved 6 majors to Hogan's 9. Which is 66% of Hogan's total. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Somebody with better IT than me needs to put up a poll, then we can come up with the official Sandtrap All Time Top Ten. 

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

To me it doesn't matter how long it took him to get the stats. Just like it was bad luck that Hogan had a career altering injury, we can't be giving him credit for wins he didn't get. 

Also, I think looking at it as a straight percentage of how many majors Phil has to Hogan is better. If we are comparing the two, and if you want to look at how close Phil was. He achieved 6 majors to Hogan's 9. Which is 66% of Hogan's total. 

Fair enough, and I also agree that Hogans fields were weaker by far. But how much weaker??

How about Watson he’s closer in time frame. Or Seve or even Faldo?? Seve was amazing in the 80’s and won shitloads in Europe and America.

Stevie T

• Administrator
1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Where did you get these numbers? Unless you are manipulating the data for your argument?

Matt, he said 50% more, he didn't say 50% of the win totals.

9 is 50% more than 6.

64 is 42% more than 45.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea, there are multiple ways to say how ever much more or less Phil is compared with Hogan. 

9 is 50% more than 6
6 is 33% less than 9
6 is 66% of 9

All of is mathematically correct. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, there are multiple ways to say how ever much more or less Phil is compared with Hogan. 

9 is 50% more than 6
6 is 33% less than 9
6 is 66% of 9

We know. I'm glad you do too now. 😄

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think the equipment issue is being oversimplified.  While Jack was one of the longest of his generation, another of his very significant advantages was his ability to hit the ball very high, relative to his peers.  It was said that Jack could hit a 2-iron as high as most players hit their 6-iron.  That height was a tremendous advantage at US Open type courses and Augusta.  Now with 5-woods (whose value was shown by Ray Floyd when he tore up ANGs par 5s at the Masters) and, even moreso, hybrids, just about everyone can hit that very high shot that previously Jack had a virtual Monopoly on.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I would put him in the second half of the top 10 probably 7 or 8.  with: Player Jones, Vardon, Morris and Hagen.  Behind: Hogan, Palmer, Snead, Nicholas and Woods.

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

9 is 50% more than 6
6 is 33% less than 9
6 is 66% of 9

@ChetlovesMer are you paying attention?   :banana:

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, Groundhog34 said:

Nicholas

:hmm:

Pet peeve. Sorry. Pretty sure Phil outranks anyone named Nicholas. 😄

13 pages of comments pretty well establishes that it is hard to head-to-head compare two players from different eras.

For me, ability to intimidate other golfers is one "it" factor that differentiates them.

Payne Stewart (my all time favorite) once said in an interview, that he loved to compete in the wind and rain, because he felt that it took about 1/2 the field out of the competition before they even teed off, thereby improving his chances.

Tiger definitely had the intimidation factor, in spades.

Jack had it, too.  Arnie less so, perhaps because he was perceived as such a nice guy.

In my opinion, Phil in his prime had it almost as much as Jack did.

I would put Phil somewhere between #3 and #5.

Marshall

12 minutes ago, Divot Master said:

For me, ability to intimidate other golfers is one "it" factor that differentiates them.

It’s golf, not MMA. 

mw-logo-245x245@1x.png

to make timid or fearful : frighten; especially : to compel or deter by or as if by threats… See the full...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

9 is 50% more than 6
6 is 33% less than 9
6 is 66% of 9

Hmm... Math is hard.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

@ChetlovesMer are you paying attention?   :banana:

I paid attention... didn't understand a word of it. 

I'm no longer aloud to mention where I went to school... but I think you all know anyway. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

It’s golf, not MMA. 

mw-logo-245x245@1x.png

to make timid or fearful : frighten; especially : to compel or deter by or as if by threats… See the full...

A synonym of intimidate is unnerve which means to make one lose courage or confidence.   This would have nothing to do with making one frightened; especially : to compel or deter by or as if by threats.    Many golfers have mentioned that playing with Tiger was intimidating.   A quick google search verified as much.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

10 hours ago, dennyjones said:

A synonym of intimidate is unnerve which means to make one lose courage or confidence.   This would have nothing to do with making one frightened; especially : to compel or deter by or as if by threats.    Many golfers have mentioned that playing with Tiger was intimidating.   A quick google search verified as much.

Fair enough. “Unnerving” is a great word choice. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jxdama said:

Lets not  forget Sam Snead.

He’s in my list earlier.

Note: This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!