IGNORED

Brooks-Bryson Feud

ncates00
Note: This thread is 873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, iacas said:

We advance and grow.

I get your point Erik. I just don’t agree that getting all worked up and losing one's temper and crying to the authorities over childish name calling is advancing nor growing. 
We wouldn’t be having this issue if BD wasn’t an immature cry baby.

No, the fans should be more respectful and I don’t agree at all with these morons heckling him. But it shouldn’t matter. If BD had a more formidable character as players from the past, this would be a non-issue.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

get your point Erik. I just don’t agree that getting all worked up and losing one's temper and crying to the authorities over childish name calling is advancing nor growing. 

Well, to some it's hard to determine if its childish name calling versus bullying or clear harassment. 

I don't care what age you are, mental abuse comes in many forms. Continual taunting might not just be childish name calling. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

21 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Well, to some it's hard to determine if its childish name calling versus bullying or clear harassment. 

I don't care what age you are, mental abuse comes in many forms. Continual taunting might not just be childish name calling. 

True. I don’t know what exactly has been done to Bryson on the course. But the things I’ve read about don’t qualify as mental abuse to me in the least bit. A guy stands at the free throw to make a game winning shot and hundreds of people directly in his view are screaming and waving signs to distract him. I don’t agree with people disrupting his swing. But if ‘Brooksie’ is what’s being said, I’m sticking to my opinion that BD needs to grow up if that’s mentally distressing him. If spectators are literally walking beside him saying vulgar and demeaning comments, then I don’t agree with that at all.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I like the two of the feuding. I actually like both of them as players and I think both of them are good for the game. They are both young and I think one day looking back they will realize they've each made mistakes and each of them went to far. A healthy rivalry with some jabs back and forth is fun and good for the game. But since some fans don't know where to draw the line, it can quickly get out of hand. 

@Vinsk I get what you are saying. A lot of our generation thinks the current generation is "soft" for lack of a better word. Having said that, we also come from the same generation in which fans killed Andres Escobar after the World Cup. Our generation also stabbed Monica Seles. Of course I'm not saying killing a soccer player or stabbing a tennis player is the same as shouting "Brooksie". I'm just saying unfortunately there are fans that don't know where to draw the line. Occasionally rules have to be made to draw the line for them. Especially right now where so many people are super stressed out. 

I saw a lady on the highway the other day lose her mind when she felt she was cut off. She started screaming and almost ran two cars off the road, flipping people off, screaming until red-faced, and hopping up and down in her seat. The first time I ever considered dialing the police while driving. The ironic part was I saw the whole thing and she really wasn't cut off at all. Not only that but just a little ways down the road the perceived offenders exited and she ended up exactly where she would have been anyway. 

I think its wise that The Tour tries to draw a line for fans. Plus I want to see both guys playing at their best. Ideally going head to head with their A-Games on a Sunday. I don't want to see the whole thing degrade to a WWF-esque event in which fans are crossing the line and getting involved in the outcome. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

We wouldn’t be having this issue if BD wasn’t an immature cry baby.

:sigh:

Other players have said it has made them uncomfortable. Other journalists have commented on how bad the behavior is.

Do you have the evidence that he went and cried to Jay Monahan about this? No.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

46 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

@Vinsk I get what you are saying. A lot of our generation thinks the current generation is "soft" for lack of a better word. Having said that, we also come from the same generation in which fans killed Andres Escobar after the World Cup. Our generation also stabbed Monica Seles. Of course I'm not saying killing a soccer player or stabbing a tennis player is the same as shouting "Brooksie". I'm just saying unfortunately there are fans that don't know where to draw the line. Occasionally rules have to be made to draw the line for them. Especially right now where so many people are super stressed out. 

But this really isn’t anything new. As mentioned in another comment many players have endured this stuff and much worse. And no, I agree that doesn’t make it right. But come on guys, comparing this to  murder, stabbings and one mentioned slavery is getting ridiculous. 
Obnoxious spectators have been around for a long time. I thought spectators were already held to rules of certain behavior. I just didn’t expect the acts being made to BD, that I’ve read about, are that serious. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I’m sure other athletes, in golf and other sports, have had worse jeers than “let’s go, Brooksy.” 

Surely BD and some of you guys have been to rivalry games in other sports. A lot worse gets said. Even high school sports get more abrasive than this. 

5 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

But come on guys, comparing this to  murder, stabbings and one mentioned slavery is getting ridiculous. 

Agreed. 

Most sports with abrasive language from fans are team sports with a stadium of people and generally loud atmosphere. A golf player is on his own out there and being singled out is not a good feeling. You can get a lot closer to a professional golfer and the mentality can easily be thrown into a bad way if you get verbal abuse through the round. You got a lot of time to think when playing golf. In many other sports, it’s fast paced and you probably don’t even hear or notice most of what is being shouted.

I don’t care too much how the PGA Tout choose to enforce it, but if the players can go out there and play golf without being heckled, I think that is a good thing.

You can’t choose how a person react to such situations. It’s easy sitting on a PC or mobile phone and say «Get over it». I want to watch golf with every player being able to do their best and be cheered on by fans if they got any. Not heckled by spectators that don’t like them or just want to be an arse.

Edited by Zeph

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

But this really isn’t anything new.

As noted above, slavery wasn't anything new, so let's just continue it?

This is a bad take by an old person.

22 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I’m sure other athletes, in golf and other sports, have had worse jeers than “let’s go, Brooksy.” 

Surely BD and some of you guys have been to rivalry games in other sports. A lot worse gets said. Even high school sports get more abrasive than this. 

Agreed. 

So again, sure, let's just allow it to continue. Why? Not because it's healthy, or good, but because "we've always done it."

171424ec28cd660f70e696d09669dc9a

One fan wanted Thomas' shot to hit the water and bunkers. Telling the golfer that got him an early exit.

A quote from that article is:

If you’re one of those people who think this is the latest case of pro golfers being special little snowflakes, it’d be hard to argue with you. Professional athletes in other sports deal with much worse on a regular basis.

But if you’re a golfer or a golf fan, you know this isn’t something that’s tolerated on the golf course. Respect for other players is baked into the DNA of the game and going to a tournament usually isn’t about rooting for one player or another but appreciating the competition — and giving the golfers the space and atmosphere to achieve that.

If someone at your office or school starts taunting you, is it okay to say "well, some high school basketball players have to deal with it, so we're going to just taunt you while you're teaching law or being a doctor or whatever."

No, that'd be ridiculous.

"Mashed potatoes" isn't rude, it's just annoying and stupid. This shit is annoying, stupid, AND mean.

And the PGA Tour needs to curtail it NOW because legalized gambling is already here, and expected to grow quite a bit. So, they need to quash it NOW.

5 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Most sports with abrasive language from fans are team sports with a stadium of people and generally loud atmosphere.

Yeah, you can generally tune stuff out.

You can get a lot closer to a professional golfer and the mentality can easily be thrown into a bad way if you get verbal abuse through the round.

I've seen hockey fans removed from NHL games for getting entirely too personal to an opposing goaltender.

You can’t choose how a person react to such situations. It’s easy sitting on a PC or mobile phone and say «Get over it». I want to watch golf with every player being able to do their best and be cheered on by fans if they got any. Not heckled by spectators that don’t like them or just want to be an arse.

Uh huh.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

And the PGA Tour needs to curtail it NOW because legalized gambling is already here, and expected to grow quite a bit. So, they need to quash it NOW.

That’s a good point. Another thing is I don’t think it’s right that Brooks seems to be skating through all this unscathed. They both have blame in this. 

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

"Mashed potatoes" isn't rude, it's just annoying and stupid. This shit is annoying, stupid, AND mean.

So if a player complains to an official that a spectator is annoying him by yelling, “mashed potatoes” he just needs to suck it up? 

45 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

But come on guys, comparing this to  murder, stabbings and one mentioned slavery is getting ridiculous. 

I believe my post said I'm not comparing the two. I believe I tried to make it very clear that shouting "Brooksie" isn't the same as other incidents. 
What I AM saying is "Shit escalates". 

I can't imagine anyone is against implementing a rule to curb bad behavior BEFORE it gets out of hand. 

Let's use the NFL as an example. For years dozens of fans were hospitalized every weekend after being beaten in the parking lot by rival fans. The NFL did nothing. "Boys will be boys". ... Then in 2014 (3) separate instance of fans being killed outside Stadiums in one year. The next year (2) more fans are killed after games, finally the NFL implements a slew of new rules to curb bad fan behavior. Going back in time, wouldn't it have been great if they would have implemented the new rules BEFORE (5) people had to die? 

Once again, I'm NOT saying killing somebody is the same as yelling "Brooksie". I am just saying some people don't know where to draw the line. Add in the fact that much of the country is saying they are dealing with stress in their day to day lives that they've never experienced before. 

I think the Tour is wise to try to nip bad behavior before something horrible happens. 

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

A lot worse gets said. Even high school sports get more abrasive than this. 

Agreed. 

Once again, I don't disagree. I don't think anyone is saying that yelling "Brooksie" is the worst thing ever to happen to anyone. BTW - Violence at high school sporting events is skyrocketing right now as well. Which goes back to my point. Some people don't know where the line is. So somebody has to draw it for them. 

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

This is a bad take by an old person

Please stop comparing a fans behavior of taunting a golfer to slavery. Just stop.

• Like 1

There is no way someone is comparing slavery to taunting. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Some people don't know where the line is. So somebody has to draw it for them. 

I guess this is the conundrum. Where is the line? As I asked Erik, if a player is mentally stressed and annoyed by fans yelling ‘ mashed potatoes’ do we just tell the player to suck it up? Can we decide what’s considered being too sensitive? Like you said, shit escalates. But this applies to intolerance as well.

• Like 1

Solid point @Vinsk

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

4 minutes ago, jmanbooyaa said:

There is no way someone is comparing slavery to taunting. 

To say that fans misbehavior needs to be stopped because it’s wrong …as in slavery was wrong and needed to be stopped is an over the top example. He shouldn’t have used that as an example. No reason, a poor example. None of us think BD should be taunted. That’s just not acceptable on a golf course. 

Edited by Vinsk

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I guess this is the conundrum. Where is the line? As I asked Erik, if a player is mentally stressed and annoyed by fans yelling ‘ mashed potatoes’ do we just tell the player to suck it up? Can we decide what’s considered being too sensitive? Like you said, shit escalates. But this applies to intolerance as well.

Your point is well stated, well thought out, and accurate. 

I don't know the "right" answer. I do see your point. 

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

So if a player complains to an official that a spectator is annoying him by yelling, “mashed potatoes” he just needs to suck it up? 

Is it "disrespectful"?

That's where they've drawn the line, from what I can tell.

20 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Please stop comparing a fans behavior of taunting a golfer to slavery. Just stop.

Just as soon as you stop with the "we do it in other sports" or "Tiger had to put up with stuff, so they should have to too" crap.

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

None of us think BD should be taunted. That’s just not acceptable on a golf course. 

You are posting as if you do and calling him names for his reaction to not liking it.

Note: This thread is 873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!