IGNORED

Lower Cost Rangefinders

Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 5/27/2021 at 8:42 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

I own a Bushnell Hybrid Golf Laser Rangefinder + GPS. 
It's a great rangefinder. It includes both a rangefinder and a GPS.

What I like really like about it is that when you look through the view finder you get distance to the flag (or what ever else your pointing at) and (if the battery is charged) it also gives you the GPS distances to the front and back of the green. 

What I don't like about it is that it uses (2) different batteries. While the rangefinder is powered by a replaceable battery, which is fine. You have to plug in and charge the internal lithium ion batter to power the GPS. I always forget to pull it out of the golf bag and charge the GPS. So, 9 times out of 10 I'm only using the rangefinder without the GPS. So, I almost never get that front and back of the green feature. 

Anyhow, I was playing with a guy who was using a "PeakPulse" brand rangefinder. I tested it compared to my Bushnell and honestly they were pretty much giving us exactly the same numbers. His "PeakPulse" also had slope. Which my Bushnell does not. I think I paid $399 for my Bushnell back maybe 3-4 years ago. This guy paid 80 bucks for his. 

So, I went on Amazon and there are a lot of Rangefinders for around 80-90 bucks, some even cheaper. Bushnell's as a rule are still going $300 to $600 dollars. Most golfers I know who have rangefinders, have Bushnell rangefinders. ... A few Callaways here and there. 

I'm curious, how many of you are using a low-cost rangefinder and how many of you are using a Bushnell? And if you are using a Bushnell and it needed replacing would you consider a low-cost rangefinder? 

I used to have a V4 until some asshole stole it off my bag about 3 years ago. I have a WoSports it’s not the best it’s not the worst.

Over about 200, it gets a dicey it’s probably +/- 3 yards which I don’t give a shit about I suck anyway.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a GOGOGO off Amazon about a year ago for $89.00. Has slope and runs on 2 AA batteries. Way more accurate than my swing and gives about the same yardages that my buddies Bushnell's provide. Cheap enough if I lose it or it gets stolen I can easily replace it. I suppose there's a chance the 4 or 5 hundred dollar model might be better but I have my doubts,

• Administrator

They are better, yes. Whether they’re $200 better (or more) is for each to decide for themselves but they are demonstrably “better.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

They are better, yes. Whether they’re $200 better (or more) is for each to decide for themselves but they are demonstrably “better.”

Well put and I agree. As I mentioned above, the more expensive rangefinder was much easier for me to find and lock on the flag than my $79 rangefinder. I'm sure there are other differences as well but that was what got my attention in the short comparison that I was able to do.

I've had my Callaway for about 5 or 6 years. I think I paid about $150. It's still going strong. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this does the job. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!