IGNORED

National Anthems Before Sporting Events

iacas
Note: This thread is 1042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

National Anthem at Sporting Events  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should the national anthem be played before all sporting events?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

AGAIN, I totally agree. But surely you must be able to understand that some folks could be frustrated by it. They feel like everything they like, love or understand is under attack.

I try not to concern myself with the opinions of idiots.

It just feels like somebody is piling on, trying to ruin your day.

So, in your opinion, people are completely incapable of rational thought or behavior or separating completely unrelated things.

While I don't agree with this law and have said so at least 4 times now. I CAN understand how people want to protect the traditional values that they've grown up loving. I get it. I DON'T think this is the way to achieve that goal. But I understand their frustration. 

What makes you think others here don't "understand the frustration," but simply disagree with it?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I try not to concern myself with the opinions of idiots.

Golden.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 minute ago, iacas said:

What makes you think others here don't "understand the frustration," but simply disagree with it?

I don't think I ever said they "don't" if I did, I didn't mean to. For that I would immediately apologize. 
I also disagree with their frustration, I'm just trying to understand their motivation. Again, I DON'T want this law. I also don't want to believe that people are making laws just to repress people. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I think this law is a terrible idea. I think (I don't know this for fact, but my guess is) it is a knee-jerk reaction being put through by people who aren't thinking about the unintended consequences. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

Golden.

I fail at this often.

@ChetlovesMer, maybe stop arguing/debating/rebutting people that don't exist?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Wasn't trying to, brother.

I started this whole thing just trying to understand why somebody would propose a law such as this. In my mind it seems like a horrible law. 

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I fail at this often.

Well you’re doing a good job with @Lane Holt..remarkable patience. But he’s reaching your limit.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

By the way, I haven't voted yet. 

I'm having trouble with the word "all". 

I don't think it should be played before "all" sporting events. I do like it when they play it before professional baseball games. I'm fine with it being played before football, basketball, soccer and hockey games. But if for some reason they stopped I wouldn't miss it. I don't think there should be a law requiring it. 

7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I started this whole thing just trying to understand why somebody would propose a law such as this. In my mind it seems like a horrible law. 

There could be a dozen reasons why. Each reason might come from a different person who agreed to the bill. 

1) They want to suppress the BLM movement or protesting in general
2) They love pro sports and feel its degrading to not have the anthem
3) They believe not having the anthem at sporting events is not patriotic
4) They want to just stick it to the democrats
5) They got promised something for agreeing to the bill
6) Since most pro athletes are black, they believe they should just serve as entertainment. 
7) They don't like that high profile figures get involved in anything outside of sports

If I wanted, I could probably come up with 5 more, but this took me like 1-2 minutes. 

So, good luck. There is no unifying theory on this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Let me put it this way.

This law is inherently unconstitutional and the motivations of the people behind it are cynically political.

But ...

I like having the national anthem played before sporting events. If a professional sports team, like Cuban's Mavericks, choose not to play the anthem, I will be substantially less inclined to support them.

This is an interesting read on the topic: 

10 of the 13 Texas Senate Democrats voted in favor of the "Star Spangled Banner Protection Act," which Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick named a legislative priority after the Dallas Mavericks stopped playing the…

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This is an interesting read on the topic: 

10 of the 13 Texas Senate Democrats voted in favor of the "Star Spangled Banner Protection Act," which Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick named a legislative priority after the Dallas Mavericks stopped playing the…

It also gets too close to politics. You're aware of the rule.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

It also gets too close to politics. You're aware of the rule.

Yes, sir. Well aware. 

Many good points I read through, as far as the cancel culture idea, because of the race card being thrown out every chance people get, because history gets thrown to the wayside too often, a situation like a Texas law making the national anthem mandatory is a result somewhat of a knee-jerk reaction to another thing being taken away that people are so fond of. It's like crying wolf too many times, and people are getting tired of it. So whether or not the anthem should be played before sporting events, irrational behavior of cancel culture and unfounded biases has caused people to get overly defensive.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

15 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't know. The 2nd half edges a bit towards an educated spin on MAGA... I wish we'd just think about our history as it happened. For white people the positives of the American century are luck of historical circumstances. Euro viruses then active genocide cleared a massive, resource rich continent. Anglo political traditions set us up to develop a partial democracy with potential earlier than other countries. African slaves provided massive juice for the American economy for white people for centuries.

That doesn't make us "the greatest" like we're LeBron or something. It just means we've inherited a lot of resources and some good political institutions and culture. That gives us the ability to do lots of good things for Americans and the world. But we inherit lots of negatives and challenges too.

Rather than arguing over which myth to tell ourselves, I wish we could just look at the good and bad of our actual history and let that inform where we need to invest to right wrongs and what advantages we can leverage to build for the future.

• Upvote 2

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

7 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Many good points I read through, as far as the cancel culture idea, because of the race card being thrown out every chance people get, because history gets thrown to the wayside too often, a situation like a Texas law making the national anthem mandatory is a result somewhat of a knee-jerk reaction to another thing being taken away that people are so fond of. It's like crying wolf too many times, and people are getting tired of it. So whether or not the anthem should be played before sporting events, irrational behavior of cancel culture and unfounded biases has caused people to get overly defensive.

I believe this bill has nothing to do with cancel culture. It has more to do with politicians in Texas not liking a team in Texas not playing the national anthem. They believe that professional sports should require some sort of patriotism mandate. That is all. 

8 minutes ago, mdl said:

Rather than arguing over which myth to tell ourselves, I wish we could just look at the good and bad of our actual history and let that inform where we need to invest to right wrongs and what advantages we can leverage to build for the future.

This^

To do so we need to have honest conversations with out having every word taken out of context. That is why I really like Podcasts over any other media outlet. There is no requirement for them to keep things to a short timeframe. It allows for context to be set and expanded upon. 

This whole National Anthem thing is about an out there owner, getting rid of the national anthem in a state that prides itself on being patriotic. If this was a team in NY or California, this would be a non-issue and maybe get some national news, but no laws. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

15 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This whole National Anthem thing is about an out there owner, getting rid of the national anthem in a state that prides itself on being patriotic. If this was a team in NY or California, this would be a non-issue and maybe get some national news, but no laws. 

Almost certainly true.

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I believe this bill has nothing to do with cancel culture. 

I believe it does, right or wrong, people are tired of things being cancelled out. So in response some in society push back at anything else that is is threatened to be canceled.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

1 minute ago, Billy Z said:

I believe it does, right or wrong, people are tired of things being cancelled out. So in response some in society push back at anything else that is is threatened to be canceled.

Good luck, brother.

Note: This thread is 1042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!