(edited)
Those who have been around here for awhile understand the significance of my Avatar. Every year my daughter (sadly, now long out of her girl Girl Scout uniform) gets up at the crack of dawn to go out with her Godfather (like me, a retired Marine) and my Eagle Scout Godson to place flags at the grave-sites of service men and women at our local veteran's cemetery.

This year, Laura, now a young lady with competing obligations was unable to join us in doing so, but the scouts proudly and quietly completed their task nonetheless.  I'd ask that as we head out to the course, the beach, or just get ready to fire up the grill with friends and family, we take a moment to reflect on the men and women who died while serving their country and helped provide us with the freedom to enjoy whatever it is that we'll be doing today, and every other day too.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf”

- Winston Churchill -

Thanks.
Edited by David in FL
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

That’s very nice that you have that tradition and that you take the time to do that.  I don’t think that I have the discipline and ability to serve in the military and when I was of age, there was little to no conflict the US was engaged in.  I have a lot of respect for people who pledge part of their lives to protect and define the country.

while we might not agree on some things from other topics, it’s both very admirable and thoughtful that you take the time to remember those who gave their lives so that differing viewpoints can be debated and the American Experiment continues to evolve.

I hope you had a happy day today.  The sole person I know of in my very small family is my wife‘s grandfather who also served in the Marines.  He worked in a mill after leaving the service while maintaining the family farm of 100 acres.   I believe he served in Korea.   He came back from war, unfortunately so many did not.  May they be blessed in the after life for their sacrifice and courage.

Edited by imsys0042

My thanks to those that made the ultimate sacrifice. 
Very humbling day. 

Just like Valentine's Day-I feel I do not need a special day to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.-I am reminded of this every day as I wear the tags of a few fallen brothers.

It is sad to me when people criticize Kamala for saying enjoy the long weekend.-Fallen soldiers fought for your freedom and happiness.

Enjoy the weekend.-You can do that while still remembering to consider what some gave for you to enjoy it.

11 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

Just like Valentine's Day-I feel I do not need a special day to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.-I am reminded of this every day as I wear the tags of a few fallen brothers.

I think it is totally fine to have a veterans day and memorial day. 

I don't think Valentines day should exists. 

46 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

A special thanks to all that paid the ultimate sacrifice.   

^This

12 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

It is sad to me when people criticize Kamala for saying enjoy the long weekend.-Fallen soldiers fought for your freedom and happiness.

Enjoy the weekend.-You can do that while still remembering to consider what some gave for you to enjoy it.

Memorial Day doesn’t exist for those of us with reason to remember the sacrifice of others every day.

It exists, if only once a year, to remind those, who don’t.

• Administrator

I didn’t read his post that way: he doesn’t need a special day. Doesn’t mean others don’t need the reminder.

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

Memorial Day doesn’t exist for those of us with reason to remember the sacrifice of others every day.

I really like that phrasing.  I hadn't heard it before and I really like it.  Thank you for sharing that.

11 hours ago, David in FL said:

+1