IGNORED

2021 Women's US Open at Olympic Club

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Those wins at young ages are just that. Some continue to mature and can continue to perform in big venues. Some just can’t. It’s not insulting or ripping her, she just doesn’t have it. Her behavior was confusing. Smiling and chatting with her caddie despite being in the middle of a collapse.

I think golf is the most difficult and stressful of sports I watch. I’d say it was worse than Norman’s as she had a 5 shot lead with 9 to play right? In her post round limited interview she said, ‘ I don’t think I hit any poor shots…just some bad breaks …that’s golf.’ Huh? She hit quite a few poor shots including awful putts that defined the collapse. So she’s definitely just a little scattered. She managed to get a five shot lead during the final round of the US Open so something is definitely there. Gotta be hard to have that happen. 

You make really good points. She may not have "it". 

They used to say Lebron didn't have "it". They used to say Phil didn't have "it". 

Anyhow, one thing I will say is that her comment about not hitting any poor shots is pretty much right on par with what Jack used to do. I can remember seeing him finish 2nd to Watson in the 82 US Open. When interviewed afterward he talked about how heartbreaking the loss was. Anyway, he got into it with a reporter who kept bringing up all the putts Jack missed that could have pushed him well passed Watson or at least into a play-off. Jack refused to admit to "missing" any putts. 

Fast forward a couple decades and I heard a radio interview with Jack which referenced that discussion with the reporter. Jack finally admitted he missed a lot of putts in the 1982 US Open. But what he said was interesting. He said during his playing career he always told himself (and anyone else) that good things were because of what he did. Bad things he either just completely repressed as if they never happened or blamed them on course conditions, bad luck, the will of God, anything. He always told himself that he hit good shots, it just didn't work out. He would never speak outload that he played poorly. And certainly NEVER say his nerves got to him... Or something to that affect. 

Maybe Lexi is trying to do that same thing?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I’d say it was worse than Norman’s as she had a 5 shot lead with 9 to play right? In her post round limited interview she said, ‘ I don’t think I hit any poor shots…just some bad breaks …that’s golf.’ Huh? She hit quite a few poor shots including awful putts that defined the collapse. 

And don't forget that awful chip that lead to double bogey. Being this was at Olympic, I went back and viewed Palmer's collapse to Casper in 1966. Arnie lost his focus going for the record, and then his swing as Casper started to close in.

But Casper made several lengthy birdie putts on that back 9. Arnie had to make a number of key shots just to get into the playoff: blasting out of sand and sinking a sizeable bogey putt on 16, getting the ball to the green on 18 from an impossible lie (Casper said it was an unbelievable shot, an impossible shot that showed him how great Arnie really was). Then two putting from the back of the green, the 2nd putt a sliding downhill 3 1/2 footer. Arnie seemed to be in shock that Casper caught him, but his instincts took over and he did what he had to do to get into the playoff.

By contrast, Lexi was stabbing at the ball with her putter and leaving shots from the fairway short of the green, including that horrible 2nd at 18. And a 6 at 17? She seemed incredibly tight on all those shots., that's why they were short. And then for her to say she hit good shots but got bad breaks doesn't help her case. 

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

He kept saying "Make sure you leave it below the hole." ... "Make sure you leave it below the hole." ... Well, she left them below the hole. 

I missed this, wow. I'd be saying "center of green" at that point.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Having watch the rise and fall of Lexi’s round I have to say the the caddie performance was just horrible.  We all know caddies are there to provide yardage, where to land the ball etc. but I thought Tim was horrible! He looked shell shocked and didn’t give any advice that helped Lexi down the stretch. If she’s been consistently short tell her to club up a bit and just get on the green and spin the ball back!  But then again he is Bryson’s caddie and it didn’t help him either.  It was tough to watch each hole and bogey after bogey.

Did anyone hear the Golf Channel announcer say “...she’s only 26 and has another 10 years to try to win”.  What a jerk.

7 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

but I thought Tim was horrible! He looked shell shocked and didn’t give any advice that helped Lexi down the stretch. If she’s been consistently short tell her to club up a bit and just get on the green and spin the ball back!  But then again he is Bryson’s caddie and it didn’t help him either.  It was tough to watch each hole and bogey after bogey.

Did anyone hear the Golf Channel announcer say “...she’s only 26 and has another 10 years to try to win”.  What a jerk.

Honestly I could have done a better job caddying. When Lexi was bouncing around all smiles on the front nine, I knew it was going to happen. Caddy is getting paid good money, and not really just for toting a bag around the course. Of course she was tense. Of course it's very nerve-racking, but that's why you have someone on your bag, to temper your own instincts, to demand attention, to have your back.  Caddy malpractice.

Mike

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

On the other hand, Saso's caddy did a great job keeping her focused.  Even after two doubles on in the beginning, he told her there are lots of holes left and just trust the process.  Now that is a caddy who has earned his keep - and then some!!!

From now on, when I have a bad score, I will blame not having a caddy on my side.  :-P

• Funny 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I think it’s difficult to judge the performance of Lexi’s caddy without really knowing their relationship. Maybe he knows she’s a mental case in high pressure situations and knows he can’t talk to her? Or shouldn’t? I didn’t get a lot of info regarding his advice during the round. I do agree her coming up short multiple times warrants some kind of communication. I remember on that 109yd shot on 18 it was said she hit a 50* wedge. She fell way short into the front bunker. Poor strike or did they not discuss hitting past the flag was the better option? That shot was awful. Then she followed it with a miserable par putt. I dunno….just a mess.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 hours ago, mohearn said:

Honestly I could have done a better job caddying. When Lexi was bouncing around all smiles on the front nine, I knew it was going to happen. Caddy is getting paid good money, and not really just for toting a bag around the course. Of course she was tense. Of course it's very nerve-racking, but that's why you have someone on your bag, to temper your own instincts, to demand attention, to have your back.  Caddy malpractice.

Depends on the person. I know some people, once emotions start running out of control there is no reasoning with them. 

To claim this is on the caddie, with out knowing either of them personally, I think is just an misguided attempt to give a reason to why she fell apart. 

In the end, it is up to the golfer to keep it together, not the caddie. 

• Like 3

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

36 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I remember on that 109yd shot on 18 it was said she hit a 50* wedge. She fell way short into the front bunker. Poor strike or did they not discuss hitting past the flag was the better option? That shot was awful. Then she followed it with a miserable par putt. I dunno….just a mess.

I think she must’ve messed up the strike. At her speed, in the 150’s ball speed with driver, a 50* should easily fly 109. My pw is 48 (flies 125), and we are similar in terms of speed. I think she was really nervous and was missing the face.

It will be fun to see them play at Pebble Beach in 2023. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Depends on the person. I know some people, once emotions start running out of control there is no reasoning with them.  

Totally true. If somehow she woulda won, they'd both be celebrated, right! 

Mike

We were pulling for Lexi, but if not her then Saso was the one we were pulling for, after not even knowing of her until Thursday or Friday. I was impressed at her ease of transferring from Tagalog, to English to Nihongo. The LPGA has some seriously young competitors, for a while now. Hopefully she stays competitive. 

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

• Administrator

I was not "glad" Lexi lost, but I definitely didn't mind it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There are some people who are not receptive to talk when things are going down the (expletive descriptor). Maybe Lexi is one of these people. She was in contact with her mental coach all week, trying to focus on the good things in her life, going into this tournament. That's what she told reporters, anyway. Perhaps she gets emotional. And we all know that golf is not like other sports. In other sports, emotions can be good. In golf, emotions will absolutely destroy you without mercy. They have to be held in check until that last putt drops on the 18th hole.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1046 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!