IGNORED

Jon Rahm Forced to WD From Memorial Tournament After a Positive COVID-19 Test

ShawnSum
Note: This thread is 1005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

What?! No. It’s a f***ing sport with rules.

That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve seen.

It was pretty dumb.

The Tour is just following protocol.

They’re talking about it on Golf Central right now. I guess the plan is to interview anyone that Rahm had contact with.
He received his first vaccination on site this week. So it’s kind of ironic. That he would test positive when he got vaccinated.

I guess he was informed on Monday that he was in the contact tracing protocol and had to test daily to clear him. 

As you said Erik, if you have a sport, it has rules, and you have to follow those rules.

Edited by onthehunt526
Autocorrect is annoying as hell :((

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, colin007 said:

I think he's been vaxxed

Also, is there a reason he couldn't play alone?

I'd love to know why you think he's been vaccinated. It's pretty clear that he hasn't. Remember, a lot of these golfers (sorry, independent contractors) are very big on "individual freedoms" and I am now very glad that Rahm is being penalised for being one of those who is unwilling to set or follow the example of others. At first I felt bad for him. Hopefully it's a bit of karma for Nicklaus who claims to have been cured of the exaggerated virus very easily with hydroxychloroquine. 

1089454294_ScreenShot2021-06-06at2_47_52pm.png.46cd654d7fad183edf4f9a79cefe0262.png

It's one of those situations in life where you discover unpleasant truths about people. Get vaccinated. 

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

8 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I'd love to know why you think he's been vaccinated. It's pretty clear that he hasn't. Remember, a lot of these golfers (sorry, independent contractors) are very big on "individual freedoms" and I am now very glad that Rahm is being penalised for being one of those who is unwilling to set or follow the example of others. At first I felt bad for him. Hopefully it's a bit of karma for Nicklaus who claims to have been cured of the exaggerated virus very easily with hydroxychloroquine. 

I don't disagree with you about the idea of getting the vaccine is a good idea.

At the same time, piling on Rahm is something I find distasteful. It's a decision people got to make for themselves. I got no idea why he decided not to get it. Maybe he's paying the price now.

We as people have to make our decisions and live with the consequences.

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

We as people have to make our decisions and live with the consequences.

I don't want to be a consequence of someone's ignorance and selfishness. We also have to make decisions based on scientific reality and protect our loved ones and people we've never met. Rahm has a wife and young child. I'm a big fan of Rahm and am horrified to hear that he wasn't vaccinated. Problem is, people like Rahm don't seem to appreciate that Nicklaus was a fantastic golfer and a good golf course architect, but his example in some other aspects of life is not one that everyone would recommend. Being a Covid skeptic is a bad look for someone with his influence. I hope that the many other unvaccinated professional golfers may now get vaccinated because they might feel it in the hip pocket if they don't. That might motivate them where other methods have failed.

4 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I don't want to be a consequence of someone's ignorance and selfishness. We also have to make decisions based on scientific reality and protect our loved ones and people we've never met. Rahm has a wife and young child. I'm a big fan of Rahm and am horrified to hear that he wasn't vaccinated. Problem is, people like Rahm don't seem to appreciate that Nicklaus was a fantastic golfer and a good golf course architect, but his example in some other aspects of life is not one that everyone would recommend. Being a Covid skeptic is a bad look for someone with his influence. I hope that the many other unvaccinated professional golfers may now get vaccinated because they might feel it in the hip pocket if they don't. That might motivate them where other methods have failed.

Other than those with undue political influence, which I see too often in my home country, it boils down to faith in "scientific reality". With 100% faith in what these vaccine manufactures have produced, it is an easy answer. Not everyone has that faith.

I got no idea where Rahm was in this decision of his. I tend to think Nicklaus had nothing to do with it.

22 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Other than those with undue political influence, which I see too often in my home country, it boils down to faith in "scientific reality". With 100% faith in what these vaccine manufactures have produced, it is an easy answer. Not everyone has that faith.

I got no idea where Rahm was in this decision of his. I tend to think Nicklaus had nothing to do with it.

Some people with no scientific background have no faith in the notion of the earth being spherical either.  Their lack of faith is inconsequential to the reality of the situation.

On what basis does an average Joe question what the manufacturers have produced? No "faith"? Meaning a belief in something that there is no scientific or rational basis for. Sorry, I think I'm in the camp of the scientists.

Without straying into the grey area of political discussion, I would think that a lot of pro golfers follow the example of a lot of people that perhaps you or I wouldn't.

Nicklaus made stupid comments about Covid and repeated lies about it. He blindly followed BS advice about hydroxychloroquine  as a way of sucking up to an uneducated portion of the community and then parroted lies about its efficacy. People listen to him and young players who revere him don't even question some things their heroes say. The things Nicklaus said at the end of last year are an absolute disgrace and he was widely and roundly pilloried for it. His response? Nothing. Double down and then not revisit the issues when a sane person would go into damage control. And I'll bet that there are less than a handful of pros who would dare call him out. And wouldn't even think there is a reason to.

Anyway . ... I am getting off topic so I'll stop now.

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

I think you’re drastically overestimating the influence Nicklaus has on the modern Tour player. Some facts as we know them.

• Rahm received the first dose on-site Monday. (He was probably already infected.)
  • Over 50% of PGA Tour players are vaccinated. (It can be tough since they travel so much to schedule it.)
  • Many players have demanded their caddies get vaccinated.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, Shorty said:

I'd love to know why you think he's been vaccinated. It's pretty clear that he hasn't.

When I posted, it wasn't clear. There was some conflicting info going around, and nobody not closely involved knew even that he had just gotten his first shot a few days ago. All I said was "I think," I didn't state it as fact.

Chill out.

Colin P.

The winner of this tournament will definitely have a large asterisk next to his name….

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

The winner of this tournament will definitely have a large asterisk next to his name….

Nah.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

Nah.

Come on Erik. The leader had a six shot lead. That’s significant.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

What if the leader broke his hand at night or fell down the stairs like DJ at the Masters? It happens. No asterisk.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

He broke a rule. He didn’t WD to go be with a sick wife or something.

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Meh, not any more than when a player in basketball or football goes down. They’ll still gladly take the win. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

He broke a rule. He didn’t WD to go be with a sick wife or something.

Doesn’t matter. A player with a six stroke lead physically capable to play isn’t playing in the final round. I don’t see him breaking a rule. An unfortunate occurrence happened where he can’t play. Six strokes is six strokes.

• Like 1

It seems like many Covid restrictions and mandates / guidelines have been modified and changed across the US.
I'm not clear why the PGA protocol hasn't followed with any changes?
Clearly all other professional sports have.
IMO, I would have liked to see Rahm play on Sunday with safety measures.
Who knows...

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Doesn’t matter. A player with a six stroke lead physically capable to play isn’t playing in the final round. I don’t see him breaking a rule. An unfortunate occurrence happened where he can’t play. Six strokes is six strokes.

He isn’t physically able to play. He has COVID-19.

He could have been vaccinated months ago. Now I bet he wishes he would have been. It’s all his own fault.

His choices.

Note: This thread is 1005 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!