IGNORED

Yuka Saso's 5 Wedge Setup, What Long Club Would You Remove With This Setup?

Note: This thread is 1011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think I'm pushing it with 4 wedges at the moment.  The only reason I even have that is because I don't have another long club I want, but also not one I want to remove.

Okay, if I had to go PW + 4, and I had an equipment van, I'd either look into a lower-lofted hybrid to replace my 22 (4h) or a slightly stronger 5-iron to replace my 5-iron;  that is, I'd take my hybrid and 5-iron and replace them with something between the two.

Seeing the Edel Fitting comments upthread makes me wonder if it's time for new wedges for me anyway and maybe I should get around to getting that fitting (my wedges that aren't from my iron set are first-generation Ping Glide, which are still awesome but maybe it's time to consider another).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All the WITB online only have Yuka winning with only 13 clubs. I’m pretty sure she had 14. Jerry Foltz isn’t full of it. She dropped her 5-wood for her 5 wedge set-up.

Driver, 3-wood, 20° hybrid, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, 48°, 52°, 56°, 60°, putter

Erik won’t do it, because his 9-iron has 44° and he still carries a 3-iron.

Ok, I said, I would reveal my theoretical set-up with 5 wedges once there was more replies.

Here it is:

D, 3w, 7w, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, 48°, 52°, 56°, Cleveland Smart Sole 58°, putter

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

5 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

All the WITB online only have Yuka winning with only 13 clubs. I’m pretty sure she had 14. Jerry Foltz isn’t full of it. She dropped her 5-wood for her 5 wedge set-up.

Driver, 3-wood, 20° hybrid, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, 48°, 52°, 56°, 60°, putter

Erik won’t do it, because his 9-iron has 44° and he still carries a 3-iron.

Ok, I said, I would reveal my theoretical set-up with 5 wedges once there was more replies.

Here it is:

D, 3w, 7w, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, 48°, 52°, 56°, Cleveland Smart Sole 58°, putter

In the interest of keeping this conversation going. Why not go 60 degree instead of 58?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

The point of my post was that the lofts on my clubs haven't changed much in almost 30 years. But the names have.

So you no longer call your LW Betty?

Agree with your point. My PW is 47 degrees. I think more in distance and not the number on the club. I thinks Saso’s set up is specific to the types of shots she likes to execute. And she just won a major.😀

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The LW and I get along pretty well these days. Not long ago I had a number of names for it.... none of them were very pleasant. 

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Agree with your point. My PW is 47 degrees. I think more in distance and not the number on the club. 

I kind of wish everyone thought that way. I have a good friend who nearly always asks me what club I hit. Which is fine with me, by the way. When I tell him I hit my 150 club, he always responds with "Which one is that?" It's now become a running joke between us. 

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

And she just won a major.

How cool would that be? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

In the interest of keeping this conversation going. Why not go 60 degree instead of 58?

The smart sole is a different sole wedge than the Zipcore wedge. I don’t hate my 60° I’ve learned to use it in different varieties of ways.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

17 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Let’s not go there again.  I’m still paying royalties to Paul Simon for the last time. :-$

• Funny 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• 4 weeks later...

I think it depends on your game basically and for the pro’s what kind off course they are playing. My setup will basically stay the same always.

dr,3wood,3hybrid 4-pw 50,55,60 putter

However i saw the setup from collin for scotish open, he carries 2 60deg wedges. One is the high toe version.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Personally, I wouldn't have that many wedges to begin with.  My current bag is Driver, 4h, 5-9 iron, PW (45*), SW (55*) and LW (60*).  And both the SW and LW are specialty clubs.  Either out of the bunker or for flop type shots.  Anything else I tend to prefer the PW.  More than anything else the LW is there in case I need it since it has far less bounce than the SW. I suppose if I practiced enough and needed 5 wedges like the OP asks, I would sacrifice a 3 wood and 5 wood and replace them with a 4 wood.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

22 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Personally, I wouldn't have that many wedges to begin with.  My current bag is Driver, 4h, 5-9 iron, PW (45*), SW (55*) and LW (60*).  And both the SW and LW are specialty clubs.  Either out of the bunker or for flop type shots.  Anything else I tend to prefer the PW.  More than anything else the LW is there in case I need it since it has far less bounce than the SW. I suppose if I practiced enough and needed 5 wedges like the OP asks, I would sacrifice a 3 wood and 5 wood and replace them with a 4 wood.

You don't carry a UW (or approach wedge, or gap wedge, whatever you want to call it)?   There's an AW that matches the set of irons you use.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

4 minutes ago, Shindig said:

You don't carry a UW (or approach wedge, or gap wedge, whatever you want to call it)?   There's an AW that matches the set of irons you use.

I probably should.  When I was playing golf three times a week about 10 years ago, I could hit my SW off the fairway like all my other irons.  Today, I struggle to hit it, except from a bunker or a flop shot.  My shortest club for a full swing is the PW, which I hit upto about 120 yards or so.  Lack of practice is one of the issues.  I should really look for a 50* GW/AW that goes with my RAC set but wonder if lack of practice is the bigger issue.  It doesn't help that finding a used club in India is a lot harder and more expensive than in the US.  Also, the PW is probably my favourite club from about 100 yards in and especially in nGIR situations

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

On 6/7/2021 at 12:57 AM, onthehunt526 said:

In my opinion, that's way too many high lofted clubs, dude. Depending on the loft of your 3w and 7w, you're going to have a huge gap between 3w and 7w or 7w and 5i.

On the flip side, if you're playing a relatively short course (or a further forward tee box) where you're hitting mostly driver-wedge all day, then I suppose this setup makes sense.

I suppose your reasoning is you want to avoid partial wedge shots. For me, I'd rather have more options at the long end of the bag than more wedges. It's far easier to finesse wedges to hit those partial distances while keeping spin on the ball to hold a green. I have yet to find a shot that I cannot do with my pw (48*), sw (54*), or lw (60*) to make me want to get another wedge. I simply do not see any upside to having more wedges than this. It's much harder to finesse long clubs to hit partial distances because if you finesse them, they tend to come out lower and with less spin--good luck holding the green. That's exactly why I have more longer clubs; I want more full shots in so as to keep my height and spin up on those long approaches. Or alternatively, if I'm playing a course with a lot of trouble, a new course I'm not familiar with, or if I just want to hit it "where I can see it" and keep the ball low off the tee, I'll put in my driving iron (Titleist u510 16*) instead of my 5w. But again, as I stated above, if you're on a driver-wedge course, then this may not matter to you.

Edited by ncates00

33 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

In my opinion, that's way too many high lofted clubs, dude. Depending on the loft of your 3w and 7w, you're going to have a huge gap between 3w and 7w or 7w and 5i.

On the flip side, if you're playing a relatively short course (or a further forward tee box) where you're hitting mostly driver-wedge all day, then I suppose this setup makes sense.

I suppose your reasoning is you want to avoid partial wedge shots. For me, I'd rather have more options at the long end of the bag than more wedges. It's far easier to finesse wedges to hit those partial distances while keeping spin on the ball to hold a green. I have yet to find a shot that I cannot do with my pw (48*), sw (54*), or lw (60*) to make me want to get another wedge. I simply do not see any upside to having more wedges than this. It's much harder to finesse long clubs to hit partial distances because if you finesse them, they tend to come out lower and with less spin--good luck holding the green. That's exactly why I have more longer clubs; I want more full shots in so as to keep my height and spin up on those long approaches. Or alternatively, if I'm playing a course with a lot of trouble, a new course I'm not familiar with, or if I just want to hit it "where I can see it" and keep the ball low off the tee, I'll put in my driving iron (Titleist u510 16*) instead of my 5w. But again, as I stated above, if you're on a driver-wedge course, then this may not matter to you.

Nah, It’d work out, especially if you consider the Srixon 7w is 21° and my 5i is 24°-25°.

I wouldn’t do it personally, I am just learning how to “gap” wedges better myself. I just put my feet closer together.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

25 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Srixon 7w is 21° and my 5i is 24°-25°.

Sounds like a big gap between 7w and 3w though. Personally, I've got a gap of nearly 40 yards between my 3w and 7w.

Edited by ncates00

2 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Sounds like a big gap between 7w and 3w though. Personally, I've got a gap of nearly 40 yards between my 3w and 7w.

No not really, I tested 5w and it ran to close to my 3w with the ZX line. It’s 15-21-24-27-31-35-39-44-48-52-56-Smart sole. A 7w will go a little farther than a hybrid the same loft and definitely farther than an iron of the same loft… I carried Driver, 3w or 4w, 2i-PW, 52°, 58°, Putter for years. Before I switched to hybrids and driving irons, I carried a 7w in place of the 2-iron for the longest time. It was a Tommy Armour evo, I hit the shit out of that thing.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

6 hours ago, azgreg said:

Everywhere I've looked shows she uses 4 wedges not 5.

She had 5 in the bag for the U.S. Open.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

24 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

She had 5 in the bag for the U.S. Open.

ys.jpg

A new LPGA Tour superstar was born at the US Women's Open. Here's what's in Yuka Saso's major-winning bag

A new LPGA Tour superstar was born at the US Women’s Open. Here’s what’s in Yuka Saso’s major-winning bag When Yuka Saso double-bogeyed both the second and third holes to find herself five back of Lexi Thompson at the...
ys-1024x682.jpg

A new LPGA Tour superstar was born at the US Women's Open. Here's what's in Yuka Saso's major-winning bag

Edited by azgreg

Beware of old dudes with old clubs and new grips.

Note: This thread is 1011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!