IGNORED

2021 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Glad to see Rory not open up with his customary 1st round of major 75. Disappointed in Jordan. Not surprised by Phil., nor Kopeka and Louie doing what they do.

1 minute ago, cutchemist42 said:

I waited a day but this course sucks for a US Open.

Care to delineate your reasons why you hold this opinion?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I forget who, one of the guys on the recent NLU podcast called Torrey "Firestone by the ocean" or something like that.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I forget who, one of the guys on the recent NLU podcast called Torrey "Firestone by the ocean" or something like that.

Yeah and like trendy youngsters, those guys used phrases like "lack of imagination," "it has no soul," "no memorability," "it's all vanilla," "such a waste," and other amorphous sentiments.

The only objective factors they pointed to was a) that the course is just really flat (in the literal sense) from the tee through the green and that b) there is only like one dogleg. I suppose those two are fair points. I haven't played it except on TW PGA Tour video games. They also said something like only 20% of the field has a chance--isn't that the case at most majors?

USO on Peacock now and there's just so much announcing. SHUT UP! And ads. Lots of ads.

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

Yeah and like trendy youngsters, those guys used phrases like "lack of imagination," "it has no soul," "no memorability," "it's all vanilla," "such a waste," and other amorphous sentiments.

The only objective factors they pointed to was a) that the course is just really flat (in the literal sense) from the tee through the green and that b) there is only like one dogleg. I suppose those two are fair points. I haven't played it except on TW PGA Tour video games. They also said something like only 20% of the field has a chance--isn't that the case at most majors?

I honestly can't say, I don't know the course that well. I actually have been meaning to play it on 2K21. I know some TST folks have played it, some before or after the USO I think? Maybe they can chime in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

USO on Peacock now and there's just so much announcing. SHUT UP!

Not only that but they often interrupt one another, making the listening experience even worse. Didn’t think that was possible haha. Steve Sands and Nick Faldo had no chemistry yesterday and constantly interrupted each other. Shut up, indeed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Not only that but they often interrupt one another, making the listening experience even worse. Didn’t think that was possible haha. Steve Sands and Nick Faldo had no chemistry yesterday and constantly interrupted each other. Shut up, indeed. 

I watch without the sound and actually have no trouble following along. 

It's on right now as I work in my office. ... no sound. 

• Thumbs Up 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

No shoes? If it was a private course, he'd be kicked out, lol!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Watson and Rahm right  in there. Hope Koepka  does  no worse than par today. Awesome to see  players  penalized  for  missing fairways and greens.

Same dumb schtick since joining.

5 hours ago, ncates00 said:

It's a course I see every year on TV. I like US Opens to be venues you only revisit every few years.

"But what about Pebble?"

I can accept it easier with Pebble as I find the course more interesting on TV and the Pro-Am is an odd event now for who actually shows up. I love Pebble when the full strength field shows up.

Edited by cutchemist42

1 hour ago, cutchemist42 said:

It's a course I see every year on TV. I like US Opens to be venues you only revisit every few years.

I agree. In fact, in addition to not using regular tour stops, I don't like public courses as host venues either. I want old-time private clubs Olympic, Winged Foot, Oakland Hills, Oakmont, Baltusrol, and Merion etc. Screw public access courses.  And no, I have ever been a CC member in my life.

52 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

I agree. In fact, in addition to not using regular tour stops, I don't like public courses as host venues either. I want old-time private clubs Olympic, Winged Foot, Oakland Hills, Oakmont, Baltusrol, and Merion etc. Screw public access courses.  And no, I have ever been a CC member in my life.

No Old Course then? It’s just a muni 

Stevie T

Koepka  is  going to have to worry about  making the  cut. He  is spraying  it everywhere. Might  be  intimidated  by  Morikawa's  play.

Same dumb schtick since joining.

2 minutes ago, jxdama said:

Koepka  is  going to have to worry about  making the  cut. He  is spraying  it everywhere. Might  be  intimidated  by  Morikawa's  play.

He’s just nervous from people coming too close to his knee.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Holland just withdrew. Sand or something in left eye. Probably scratched it  

Looks like Finau won’t make the cut. 

Note: This thread is 1038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!