IGNORED

DaveP043 and GAME Golf Pro

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Unless they changed something, GG has no way to collect hole position on the fly, so the only way to get it would be through editing afterwards.  I think that automatic detection of the putting stoke will always be a bit iffy, but that it the price to be payed for not having to tag.  

• Administrator
4 hours ago, StuM said:

I think that is a common issue with GPS.  I'm not sure about GGP but I believe GPS in general is only accurate within a few feet either direction.  Combine that with the fact that it only knows where your last putt originated form it can only approximate where the pin is.  I think they use something like 2 feet from last putt but I may be wrong there.  I've never worried about the putting distances, just the number of putts.

Ummmm.

3 hours ago, billchao said:

You’re doing that wrong, mate. The number of putts to hole out from a certain distance is all strokes gained putting is.

That.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, billchao said:

You’re doing that wrong, mate. The number of putts to hole out from a certain distance is all strokes gained putting is.

The problem is the distances are not all that accurate.  Per link below, not sure of date so may be a little outdated, average smartphone is accurate to @ 16 feet. My experience is GG does not appear that far off but it could easily be off by a few feet making most putt distance less meaningful.  Being off a few feet on a 250  yard is not as big a deal as being off 2 feet on a 10 foot putt.

Information about GPS accuracy

Also, the GPS on GG Classic takes a little time to lock in.  If you have a tap in it may not lock in until you have walked away from the hole capturing a totally wrong location. Not sure about GGP

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, StuM said:

The problem is the distances are not all that accurate.

That's what editing is for. I edit the round, in about five minutes, and adjust the putt distance of every putt.

Really, the second putt doesn't matter much - the first one does. Two-putting from 20' is the same whether you leave it an inch short or hit it 5' past with the first putt.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's what editing is for. I edit the round, in about five minutes, and adjust the putt distance of every putt.

Really, the second putt doesn't matter much - the first one does. Two-putting from 20' is the same whether you leave it an inch short or hit it 5' past with the first putt.

If may be me but I can’t always recall exactly where I putted from to edit it with a lot of precision.  I will know if putting from off the green or approximately spot of a tap in but to know if the GPS is off 2’ on a putt is not all that easy to spot while reviewing.  

also, say you hole out a long putt, then where you place the pin in editing may impact the putt distance and you just can’t place the pin with precision. Maybe within a foot or so but then if GPS was off 2’ on the initial location you are now off 3’ which is a 15% error on a 20’ putt or 30% on a 10 footer.

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Really, the second putt doesn't matter much - the first one does

the 2nd putt is what locks in the distance of the 1st.

Edited by StuM
Fixed typo

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, StuM said:

If may be me but I can’t always recall exactly where I putted from to edit it with a lot of precision.  I will know if putting from off the green or approximately spot of a tap in but to know if the GPS is off 2’ on a putt is not all that easy to spot while reviewing.

Again, you just have to get the first putt distance correct.

Write it down on the scorecard if you must, for when you edit it later.

3 minutes ago, StuM said:

also, say you hole out a long putt, then where you place the pin in editing may impact the putt distance and you just can’t place the pin with precision. Maybe within a foot or so but then if GPS was off 2’ on the initial location you are now off 3’ which is a 15% error on a 20’ putt or 30% on a 10 footer.

The software tells you the distance of the putt. It doesn't matter where you place it (much - it can affect the "short" or "long" or "left" or "right" type numbers for approaches, etc.), but it will tell you as you drag the flag or putt around how far the distance is.

You keep talking about the GPS. It gets you close. Editing is where you get it dialed in. The SG:P on a 20' versus a 25' putt aren't all that far off, and they may come out in the wash if you mark an 18' putt as a 15' putt on the next hole, but still… it's easy to just move them around and nail the distances.

Just now, iacas said:

Write it down on the scorecard if you must, for when you edit it later.

I’ll give that a try.  

Stuart M.

As @iacas wrote above, I write the length of my first putt down on my scorecard and then edit the hole location based on that.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

As @iacas wrote above, I write the length of my first putt down on my scorecard and then edit the hole location based on that.

How do you get the distance right?  I can get on GG the distance I hit the first putt, but not necessarily how far out I am.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

6 hours ago, Shindig said:

How do you get the distance right?  I can get on GG the distance I hit the first putt, but not necessarily how far out I am.

I just estimate it at this point, but you can pace it off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 hours ago, Shindig said:

How do you get the distance right? 

When you tag the first putt, it will show your location.
Then when you tag the second putt if needed, it also shows the location.
(I'll still tag the pin location if I make the putt for editing afterwards)

If you make or miss the putt, you will still tag the location and this makes 
it easier to edit when positioning the pin locations.

It's much easier to estimate the distance when closer to the pin location.

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 7:45 AM, DaveP043 said:

Okay, I got in 9 holes yesterday, and the GGPro worked pretty well.  I purposely left my phone in my golf bag most of the time, once I determined that everything was connected and data was being collected.  I did need to edit the round this morning.  One full-swing shot was missed, a wedge on #9, and maybe 3 short putts were omitted.  I also had to edit the hole location on most of the holes, which I think is to be expected.  Today I'll be playing an interclub match, so I'll do the same as yesterday, turn it on and ignore it until I get home.

OK, I'm back now, 3 weeks later, and I'm not impressed.  Well, I'm impressed by the system when it works correctly, but that's been all too rare.  I was going to write more here, but I decided to email Game Golf directly, and see if they can help me get things working better.  I want to give this a chance to work, I don't want to be excessively negative this quickly.  At this stage, there are 2 18-hole rounds on my account, look for the same user name there.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

OK, I'm back now, 3 weeks later, and I'm not impressed.  Well, I'm impressed by the system when it works correctly, but that's been all too rare.  I was going to write more here, but I decided to email Game Golf directly, and see if they can help me get things working better.  I want to give this a chance to work, I don't want to be excessively negative this quickly.  At this stage, there are 2 18-hole rounds on my account, look for the same user name there.

I’m not seeing you there. As I enter Dave there are hundreds of users, and when I enter the P, it drops to zero matches. Or is a different site for Pro?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

5 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I’m not seeing you there. As I enter Dave there are hundreds of users, and when I enter the P, it drops to zero matches. Or is a different site for Pro?

This should get you there:

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/davep043

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

He’s under David.

@DaveP043 it only searches real names in the app.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Are you editing your rounds or doing much on that end?

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/davep043/round/3069831

You started off albatross, albatross, apparently.

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

Are you editing your rounds or doing much on that end?

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/davep043/round/3069831

You started off albatross, albatross, apparently.

I edited the other ones, but left that one the way it uploaded.  I've don't know, but it seems that seeing what is being recorded might help GG to help me get it working correctly.  One thing, we didn't play the sixth, that one isn't a GG issue.  Really weird, there had been  crime at a neighboring house, and the police made us move right past.

Dave

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm not at all familiar with Game Golf but do you tag at each shot and putt or is that with an older version? Are your clubs "paired" with a device or phone?

Note: This thread is 978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!