IGNORED

Green Reading Books to Be Banned on PGA Tour in 2022

DaveP043

• Administrator

LIBERTY CORNER, N.J. and ST. ANDREWS, Scotland (Dec. 1, 2021) – Golf’s governing bodies have made available a Model Local Rule (MLR) to further limit the use of Green-Reading Materials. 

MLR G-11 enables a committee to limit players to using only the yardage book that it has approved for use in the competition. 

This local rule is intended only for the highest levels of competitive golf and, even then, only for competitions where it is realistic for the committee to undertake an approval process for yardage books. It will be available starting January 1, 2022.

The local rule gives a committee the ability to establish an officially approved yardage book for a competition so that the diagrams of putting greens show only minimal detail (such as significant slopes, tiers or false edges that indicate sections of greens). In addition, the local rule limits the handwritten notes that players and caddies are allowed to add to the approved yardage book. 

The purpose behind the local rule is to ensure that players and caddies use only their eyes and feel to help them read the line of play on the putting green. 

The USGA and The R&A developed MLR G-11 in response to feedback from several professional tours.

The MLR, along with question-and-answer guidance, can be found here.

As the local rule should only be adopted at the highest levels of competitive golf, all other golfers will continue to be able to use green-reading tools so long as they meet the requirements established in 2019. For more information on the current rule, see usga.org/grm.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct links for Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package. Save 10% on Mevo with coupon code "IACAS" as well.
    • Wordle 332 5/6 ⬜⬜🟩⬜🟨 ⬜⬜🟩🟨⬜ 🟨⬜🟩⬜⬜ 🟨🟩🟩🟨⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 Antiwordle #100   3 guesses ⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬛⬛⬛⬛🟥 🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥  
    • I’m pretty excited to review this. I liked Game Golf and I was disappointed to have to abandon it last year. Just some quick thoughts: I like the magnet back of the unit. I wonder if I can attach it to something else as I play if I didn’t want to use the belt clip for some reason. The belt clip is metal. I know people have had problems with the Game Golf one breaking because it’s plastic. It came with a cord but not an actual power adapter. It’s 5v usb so I plugged it into my Garmin charger and it worked fine. It was a bit tedious to set up my bag on the app. There’s an extensive list of clubs and manufacturers available that you have to scroll through. A search function would have been nice. I’ll share more after I actually use it to play. Curious to see what others think, as well.
    • Day 577: Played in a scramble today in comical winds. Had a lot of fun with friends I hadn’t seen since last fall. I was a little hooky at the start with the driver, but worked it out after a few holes. Made a few really nice approach shots and short game chipping was very good. Had a couple of chunky shots too.
    • So I came across and ordered the H4 yesterday because I was looking for something to use to track shots now that GG is a continued nightmare. I didn't want the continued expense of a subscription service like Arccos, but I would really like to get back to the kinds of stats I had with GG. Mine should be here tomorrow, I look forward to seeing how our experiences match up. 
    • Speith McIlroy Woods at 8:11 Daly, Micheel, YE Yang first group at 7 Rahm Morikawa Scheffler 2022 PGA Championship Starting Times  
  • Today's Birthdays

1. abco72
      abco72
      (60 years old)
    2. Bccgolfpro33
      Bccgolfpro33
      (35 years old)
    3. BogeyDylan
      BogeyDylan
      (26 years old)
    4. curtanderse
      curtanderse
      (38 years old)
    5. Finn chou
      Finn chou
      (24 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...