IGNORED

Experimenting With Stack Tilt - I Have Shot 14 Over and 10 Over in the Last 2 Rounds

11 minutes ago, ColonelCamp said:

<I guess what I meant by “way more consistent” is that the frequency of good shots is higher than it used to be when I’m swinging it well. Overall consistency is what’s hurting me, but I’m getting better all the time. >

I wrote the above earlier, but to explain that a little more, I mean to say that the times when I’m making good contact I’ll shoot an 85 and then 95s the next two rounds, as an example. As I get to used to learning this swing, this is what I’m experiencing.

So based on those scores that you are shooing now, that means you were an upper 70s to mid 80s shooter before? As a 22 handicap? Since you said your scores are 8-10 strokes worse on average than before trying the new swing.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, ColonelCamp said:

<I guess what I meant by “way more consistent” is that the frequency of good shots is higher than it used to be when I’m swinging it well. Overall consistency is what’s hurting me, but I’m getting better all the time. >

I wrote the above earlier, but to explain that a little more, I mean to say that the times when I’m making good contact I’ll shoot an 85 and then 95s the next two rounds, as an example. As I get to used to learning this swing, this is what I’m experiencing.

Thanks for clarifying, Feel free to start a swing thread. Some knowledgeable folks here might help point out why you are not running into more 85s. 

Vishal S.

When I first read @ColonelCamp's post, I took away that their scores were improved by 8-10 strokes, and I thought cool, sounds like this swing system works for this person.

Now, like others, I am perplexed how better ball striking with the S&T swing is resulting in worse scores.

You mentioned in your first post that:

I find it so much simpler.  I have lost a little distance, but I'm flushing it so much more frequently that the loss is worth it.  As an example, My best drives would carry about 260 with my old swing.  Problem was I did that about 2 out of 10 (on a good day) and I'd be in the woods.  Now I'm getting about 240-250 carry but I'm doing that 5-6 times out of ten times with much tighter dispersion and in play.  My 7 iron with my old swing was about 165-170.  Now its about 155-160, but again, way more consistent.

But then go on to explain that this happens only 1 out of 3 rounds. You said you've only been doing S&T for 2 months - are you sure the low scores (80s) aren't just "lightning in a bottle" rounds where timing/compensations work really well?

FWIW, I am not trying to crap on the S&T swing, honestly I have no idea what the elements of S&T are, and I am no expert on golf swing mechanics so I have no authority to critique it, and if it is working for you, that's great. It just seems like you are stating contradictory outcomes.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

If all this is based on ‘what I’m seeing’ then it’s probably quite inaccurate. If it’s based on data collection from a shot tracker app…it’s perplexing.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 11/17/2021 at 4:37 PM, ColonelCamp said:

Overall, it just feels better for my body.  My back definitely stopped hurting.  That was a big issue for me. I'd play a round with the old swing and most times couldn't play the next day.  I'd have to wait 2 days or so.  Now, I'm good to go the next day.  I even played 36 holes one day.

While I'm just as confused about your statement that you're more consistent but scoring worse as the others here, I have to point out that this part is pretty important.

If you're happier about the game and you're able to play it more, that's a win in my book. I'm happy for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 hours ago, ColonelCamp said:

You have to give a swing change time. And you may feel that you’ve made some S&T changes, but without filming your swing, it may be less of a change than you think. Keep at it and practice the change in a smart way. Start a My Swing thread too so others can help.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, billchao said:

If you're happier about the game and you're able to play it more, that's a win in my book. I'm happy for you.

a1b80f1322682df462cad2ff3cbc0dc3.gif.563061d69539ebcffecf5ab8167ca380.gif

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

You have to give a swing change time. And you may feel that you’ve made some S&T changes, but without filming your swing, it may be less of a change than you think. Keep at it and practice the change in a smart way. Start a My Swing thread too so others can help.

I have always believed that there are some good "fundamentals" in the stack and tilt swing. I don't necessarily agree with all of it but I've always liked "getting the left shoulder (right handed golfer) pointing at the ball". I agree with the statement above about having less change than you think. I'm not really opposed to starting the swing with 55% -60% of the weight on the left foot. I'm not sure if it really stays there through the swing anyway? But there are all kinds of swings out there so if the shoe fits....

Edited by Bucki1968
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I've been intending on reading this book for quite some time now. 

It's been sitting in my office since Father's Day.

IMG_20211119_053536062.thumb.jpg.8674d7d18941971439d2af24aa0c2422.jpg

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 2 years later...

Its nice to be back in the Trap....
 i ve been delving deep into S&T for the last 6 weeks .
What prompted it was the horror  of seeing my head go to the RT and up on the backswing and the frustration of not being able to correct that with my old swing method.
I think this was the main reason for my lack of consistency .
Not getting  weight across to the Left  i think is a major cause of poor golf  for many of us.
As the 'head still' is a key requirement of S&T i got into this with the help of the S&T book by the Plummer and Bennet and the many youtube vids by teachers who advocate this methodology.
It hasnt been easy .
Total adoption of the methodology is required I feel.
The posture and backswing are so  different and  feel weird .
The downswing requires very special attention too.
But damn it works !
Not always of course, but i can now strike irons much better without any loss of distance .
The driver works well too.
It is a swing that promotes a draw  or push draw as they seem to call it 
There are some weird bits , like opening the face slightly so as to allow the path to start right before the draw kicks in .
I have seen some vids that instruct how to get the fade but i have not got into them .
Some bits about achieving the fade are counterintuitive, for me anyway ! .
But fundamentally it works and is a nice way to play this very difficult game.
The system has been around about 15 years now and the guys who were early adopters are past their prime now.
Are there any young players on Tour that use S&T?

• Administrator
On 3/17/2024 at 1:14 AM, highcut28 said:

Are there any young players on Tour that use S&T?

No, not really.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
2 hours ago, highcut28 said:

no wonder S&T is still on the fringes 

That is its destiny.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets