IGNORED

Should Louis Have Laid Up on #18 at Torrey?

Should Louis had Lay-Up on #18?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should Louis had Lay-Up on #18?

• Yes
    • No

I was thinking, was if Louis should have tried to get the ball on the green on hole #18? Maybe closer to the pin? I just wonder if the odds were better for an eagle if he took more risk on the 1st approach shot. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Should Louis Have Laid Up on #18 at Torrey?
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It wasn’t a particularly good lie, either. I believe that’s what they said on the broadcast. I think he made the right play. What he needed to do was not put himself in a situation where h

No politics please….😂

I forgot how he reacted to the eventual birdie.  Probably the most disappointed "I just made a birdie on the 72nd hole of the U.S. Open" ever.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

He was in the rough, no?

It wasn’t a particularly good lie, either.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not many eagles were made there all day. One?

I believe that’s what they said on the broadcast.

I think he made the right play. What he needed to do was not put himself in a situation where he needed to eagle the final hole to tie.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Long second shot from the rough over water to a front pin ... with trees in the way I think?  Onto the green was unlikely, maybe I could see trying to hit it over the green or maybe into the bunker for that chance to hole out instead of a full swing.

I voted yes. His lie was bad and his long shots were getting squirrelly. His tee shot on 17 was awful. Anywhere right and there’s possibly a playoff. Tee shot at 18 was also a miss. He was losing confidence in his long game at that point.

(edited)

Yes, with that lie that was the best percentage play.

Less than one percent chance he gets on green if he hits a 3W or something and even less he holes a putt for eagle after that. 

He dug the grave on 17th 🥴. Ughhh.. will prolly haunt him for life.

11 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I voted no. 

Don't you mean yes, he did the right thing in laying up? Or am I the one who is confused.

Edited by GolfLug

25 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yes, with that lie that was the best percentage play.

Less than one percent chance he gets on green if he hits a 3W or something and even less he holes a putt for eagle after that. 

He dug the grave on 17th 🥴. Ughhh.. will prolly haunt him for life.

Don't you mean yes, he did the right thing in laying up? Or am I the one who is confused.

Ha! Yes! I guess I should wake up a bit more before voting!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Ha! Yes! I guess I should wake up a bit more before voting!

No politics please….😂

• Funny 2

2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

He absolutely made the right play.

Sometimes all you can do is all you can do…

This

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

No politics please….😂

The was a spit take in Ohio because of this response. 

Eagle from the rough was an unlikely scenario and he picked the best option given his lie. It was going to take a miracle shot and putt versus a miracle wedge. While I would have loved the drama of bringing the water in play, I think he chose the highest percentage route.  

IMHO, a more appropriate question to ask is "Should Louis have aimed for a bunker on the right on the 17th hole?"

It was nuts trying to even flirt with that hazard on the 17th hole.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Yukari said:

IMHO, a more appropriate question to ask is "Should Louis have aimed for a bunker on the right on the 17th hole?"

It was nuts trying to even flirt with that hazard on the 17th hole.

Not necessarily.

Dispersion is a bitch.

• Like 1

Hole outs from green side bunkers have to be way more frequent than 80 yard shots.

But, I’m guessing he couldn’t get it in the green side bunker from where he was….so I think he made the right decision.

From what I remember watching the tournament.

He said that he could carry it 180 from that lie, and if he landed it where he was aiming, the ball would hop left into the water.

I think the issue is, can you guarantee you end up in the bunker. What are the odds of a hole out from that rough near the green? 

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Hole outs from green side bunkers have to be way more frequent than 80 yard shots.

But, I’m guessing he couldn’t get it in the green side bunker from where he was….so I think he made the right decision.

Rahm was in that bunker and couldn’t even aim at the hole no? Or maybe it was Brooks?

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Rham was in that bunker and couldn’t even aim at the hole no? Or maybe it was Brooks?

You’re right..it was Rahm. He could play to the flag but the green was downhill, fast, and there was water.