IGNORED

2021 British Open (Players Angry Over COVID Protocols)

StuM
Note: This thread is 1011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?

• Yes
    • No

Three shot lead for Morikawa.  

I remember reading somewhere that his 6-iron has the dispersion that most players on tour have with their PW.  No wonder he's got so many strokes gained: approach. 

Great break and recovery shot for Louis.  GIR and a good look at birdie at #9. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Collin Morikawa with no fives on his first nine 🙂 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Just now, colin007 said:

Kid is a stud. Hope he runs away from the field.

I hope so too, and we don't mean Shooter McGavin style "running away"

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

WOW.  What a par save by Morikawa after a major unforced error.

Maybe Louis should have sent his caddie to tend the pin on the par-3 11th? ;-)  

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

Feherty says "that could have gone in for the same price."  Same tone as he does in the video game too.  I hope it was him live and not an audio clip from the game played by the TV 🙂 

(was with respect to Spieth's great chip at the 12th)

-- Michael | My swing! 

On 7/16/2021 at 2:48 PM, Billy Z said:

Even though JS is only 3 back I just can't see him winning this tournament. He just can't get past his over analyzing and second-guessing attitude. 

So far he has proven me wrong. He is hanging in there quite well, but we will see.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Rahm's ball had a mind of its own?

Twice on that hole Collin either played up the drama for TV or got away with something (or both I suppose).  

This Mastercard commercial with Justin Rose makes no sense.  Who puts a maraschino cherry on an ice cream cone?  Especially with a stem on it, that just seems like asking for trouble. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Wow, that shot by Rahm.  I'm not sure if it's "unlikely to win so why not try?" or if he just found something so late. 

And that shot by Louis.

And Morikawa was so close.

Morikawa makes it anyway :-)  Still no fives for the day. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Oh come on Hicks. Don’t jinx Morikawa. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Just tuned in.  Are the announcers going all goo goo gah gah over JS?

Ok, yup, they are

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

WHOOO!  What a great par save by Morikawa on #15.  Great ups-and-downs the past few holes (and really all day, plus most of yesterday).

Is that a Goldendoodle headcover on Morikawa's driver?  IIRC that's the kind of dog he and Kat have.  

Why is Jordan waiting for the 18th tee to clear?  Is it that close to the 17th green?

-- Michael | My swing! 

Collin Morikawa reminds us that par-3s are hard while also reminding us that he's very good at golf. :-) 

His tee shot at #17 couldn't decide if it wanted to be in the fairway or first cut, it changed its mind a few times.

I wasn't as aware of who he was, except as part of that great "class of 2019" group, when he won the PGA.  I am trying to remember the last time I was this excited about a young player.  Sadly, Jordan's top years weren't a great time in my life for recreation and I didn't follow as much golf then as I should have.  I don't recall being excited about Rory McIlroy.  I think the last young player I was really excited about had given up professional golf before Morikawa.

-- Michael | My swing! 

10 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Collin Morikawa reminds us that par-3s are hard while also reminding us that he's very good at golf. :-) 

His tee shot at #17 couldn't decide if it wanted to be in the fairway or first cut, it changed its mind a few times.

I wasn't as aware of who he was, except as part of that great "class of 2019" group, when he won the PGA.  I am trying to remember the last time I was this excited about a young player.  Sadly, Jordan's top years weren't a great time in my life for recreation and I didn't follow as much golf then as I should have.  I don't recall being excited about Rory McIlroy.  I think the last young player I was really excited about had given up professional golf before Morikawa.

That effort to manufacture excitement for his putt on 16 was laughable.  Dude, just made a long put on 14 and had a great par saving on 15 and he's going to have thoughts about "choking" on a 4 footer?  :roll:

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Collin Morikawa

Personal information

BornFebruary 6, 1997 (age 24)

Height   5 ft 9 in 

Weight  160 lb 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I wonder how many people were confused by the announcers saying that Morikawa had just put a 9-iron in his bag last week. :-)  

(for those who don't know, he swapped out blades 7-8-9 for cavity backs last week;  he was already playing 5-6 iron as cavity backs)

Trivia:  every player who set the low-72 hole record at a major won that major.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 1011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!