IGNORED

2021 British Open (Players Angry Over COVID Protocols)

StuM
Note: This thread is 1010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?

• Yes
    • No

19 hours ago, Shorty said:

FWIW, I live in Australia and my mother, in her 90s, lives in the UK. I am not allowed to visit the UK. This is not a golf issue, it is a government/health issue.

Anything that's designed to mitigate the spread of a deadly virus is "ridiculous" in your eyes. I bet you think your "freedom" is being compromised.

Also ridiculous that you can’t visit your mother.  That sucks.

Why would I think that my freedom is being compromised?  I simply agree with the majority here.  

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that the US Open wasn't on Peacock but the British Open is - the latter part of the broadcast with the leaders that is. I didn't know why there were so few commercials during the USO until afterwards, NBC buying the rights from Fox and all that. Guessing that won't be the case this time.

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 5.36.43 PM.png

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/how-watch-2021-british-open-tv-and-online

Kevin Na withdrew.

1625743643149.jpeg

Kevin Na has opted out of playing this year's Open Championship, with Martin Kaymer replacing him off the reserve list

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Didn’t see this was created yet so thought I’d get it going. Just read Matt Wolff WD. I’m not meaning to ball bust the guy but damn…He mentions how he’s been grinding out there and things weren’t going his way and it’s tough? How long has he been out there? There are dozens, hundreds of guys out there who have sure as hell had less success than him in a much longer time frame. Seems a bit ‘whiney’ to me. 

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F0920%2Fr748217_1

Golfer Matthew Wolff, who is ranked No. 35 in the world, will not play in The Open next week. No reason...

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Didn’t see this was created yet

:hmm:

😉

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Didn’t see this was created yet so thought I’d get it going. Just read Matt Wolff WD. I’m not meaning to ball bust the guy but damn…He mentions how he’s been grinding out there and things weren’t going his way and it’s tough? How long has he been out there? There are dozens, hundreds of guys out there who have sure as hell had less success than him in a much longer time frame. Seems a bit ‘whiney’ to me. 

Look, the way I see it…

• He can do what he wants.
  • He's dealing with some mental issues. Like mental health, not golf game mental stuff.
  • The COVID restrictions mean he can't travel with a party of supporters or people or something.
  • It's a long ways from home.

I just want him to be happy and healthy, and I'm not going to call him "whiney" because he withdraws from a major for which he's qualified to stay at home, prep a little, and get right in the head.

• Thumbs Up 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

:hmm:

😉

Look, the way I see it…

• He can do what he wants.
  • He's dealing with some mental issues. Like mental health, not golf game mental stuff.
  • The COVID restrictions mean he can't travel with a party of supporters or people or something.

I just want him to be happy and healthy, and I'm not going to call him "whiney" because he withdraws from a major for which he's qualified to stay at home, prep a little, and get right in the head.

Yes I agree with the mental health issue whatever it may be. And I didn’t mean ‘whiney’ for the WD. I’m saying the ‘ I’ve been grinding and things haven’t gone my way’ statement is a bit premature IMO. Tell that to the guys who have been out there for 15+ years without a top 10.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah and so do folks who go on business trips, alone or with co-workers. I agree with @Vinsk; he’s a bit whiney. 

I won’t comment on the mental health issues because I don’t know what he’s dealing with. If it’s as one commentator surmised that’s he’s an extrovert and lockdown really affected him in that he can’t see his friends, party and what not, then boo hoo. No sympathy. However, if he’s dealing with issues of doubt, off course family or friends issues, etc., I get it and he gets a pass. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Yeah and so do folks who go on business trips, alone or with co-workers. I agree with @Vinsk; he’s a bit whiney.

Well, then, f*** you both. You're both being real cool to rip on a guy who is struggling with mental health.

Real cool.

Nice logical fallacy, btw.

Cut the shit. You're both being asshats about this.

And no, I'm not a Matt Wolff fan. But mental health matters. He's an independent contractor who owes next to nothing to us or anyone else, and everything to himself.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think you missed this one @iacas. If he says he’s dealing with family issues, or disturbing thoughts, personality conflict etc…ok. But to say he’s been grinding and things aren’t going his way is a little ridiculous for a guy who’s only logged a few years. That statement sure as hell doesn’t deserve sympathy and we are far from being asshats for feeling that way. 

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think you missed this one @iacas. If he says he’s dealing with family issues, or disturbing thoughts, personality conflict etc…ok. But to say he’s been grinding and things aren’t going his way is a little ridiculous for a guy who’s only logged a few years. That statement sure as hell doesn’t deserve sympathy and we are far from being asshats for feeling that way. 

Nope.

I think the players that want to WD from the Open have the right to do so. Whether they’re vaccinated or not is immaterial. If you’re going to allow 32k fans per day, the R & A is being hypocritical. 

Just wait till the Olympic Tourneys all hell is going to break loose.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Matsuyama WDs. Apparently got COVID at the beginning of the month. WTF is it with these clowns not getting their jabs???

Colin P.

24 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Matsuyama WDs. Apparently got COVID at the beginning of the month. WTF is it with these clowns not getting their jabs???

Agree. Just plain stupid 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

• Thumbs Up 1

It's ridiculous. It's unreasonable, unscientific, and transparently disingenuous. They want to butter their bread on both sides. If it's that serious a problem, there should be NO spectators. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

I don't want to criticize COVID restrictions put in place by other countries, but this is ridiculous. I would be pissed if I was a vaccinated player, having to jump through all these hoops even though I have a minuscule chance to get and pass on COVID. If you look at how the UK bended over backwards to accommodate the Euros, and compare it to this, it's ridiculous. I feel bad for Bubba and any other vaccinated player.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 7/10/2021 at 3:15 PM, iacas said:

Well, then, f*** you both.

Big oof.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, Vinsk said:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F0920%2Fr748217_1

Golfer Matthew Wolff, who is ranked No. 35 in the world, will not play in The Open next week. No reason...

I don't think I see the relation. If Wolff says he's grinding away and having a tough time, what does that have to do with any other golfer? It doesn't matter if there's a thousand grinding harder than him, he's still the one that has to live his life in his own head. My folks used to say - eat you broccoli, because there's starving kids in China. Like my eating would keep them from starving. Knowing that there's always someone who feels worse than me doesn't make what I'm going through feel any better.

I thought it was great that Bubba Watson spent some time, in one of the earlier tournaments, discussing the mental issues with Wolff. Bubba has been pretty candid about his own problems and personal battles.

Note: This thread is 1010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!