IGNORED

2021 British Open (Players Angry Over COVID Protocols)

StuM
Note: This thread is 1002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

I don't think I see the relation. If Wolff says he's grinding away and having a tough time, what does that have to do with any other golfer? It doesn't matter if there's a thousand grinding harder than him, he's still the one that has to live his life in his own head. My folks used to say - eat you broccoli, because there's starving kids in China. Like my eating would keep them from starving. Knowing that there's always someone who feels worse than me doesn't make what I'm going through feel any better.

I thought it was great that Bubba Watson spent some time, in one of the earlier tournaments, discussing the mental issues with Wolff. Bubba has been pretty candid about his own problems and personal battles.

I think I’m being misunderstood here. My point is Matt Wolff has been on tour for two years. TWO years. He’s already won a tournament and made almost $6M. IF, and I mean IF his big mental issue is that he’s ‘been grinding it out here and things aren’t going my way’ then yes..boo f****** hoo.

He’s been in his chosen career for two years and he’s made more than most people will in a lifetime. So sorry, not gonna garnish a lot of sympathy from me on that. And I seriously doubt if he told someone like Michael Visacki how difficult it is for him since things aren’t ‘going his way’ there’d be much sympathy there either.

• Thumbs Up 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Jack50 said:

I hope Westwood Wins.

I don't think it'll be him.

It's still a very strong field, but, on this occasion, although I normally root for the underdog, I think the British Open needs a big name to lift the Claret Jug. Rory would likely be the story everyone wants to read about, but any of the top (top) players would be welcome. This isn't the year for some relatively obscure European Tour player to make a (soon to be forgotten) headline in the sports pages.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Well done Bubba.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

57 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I think I’m being misunderstood here. My point is Matt Wolff has been on tour for two years. TWO years. He’s already won a tournament and made almost $6M. IF, and I mean IF his big mental issue is that he’s ‘been grinding it out here and things aren’t going my way’ then yes..boo f****** hoo.

He’s been in his chosen career for two years and he’s made more than most people will in a lifetime. So sorry, not gonna garnish a lot of sympathy from me on that. And I seriously doubt if he told someone like Michael Visacki how difficult it is for him since things aren’t ‘going his way’ there’d be much sympathy there either.

I’m just a bit surprised that someone in your position would not be more supportive of someone battling depression. 

2 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I’m just a bit surprised that someone in your position would not be more supportive of someone battling depression. 

FFS…you’re totally missing it. Look, you’re taking the easy way out here. What a stupid comment to think I don’t sympathize with depression. I haven’t read anywhere that that’s his issue. Let down the ‘I must sympathize no matter what’ for just a moment. He’s won $6M on tour in 2 years. He got his first win in his very first year of playing. If depression is his issue then I’m certain there’s more at play than just his PGA performance. However…if his two years and $6M are bringing him down….I think he needs an attitude adjustment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Another reason why I rank the majors this way:

#1 Masters 

#2 US Open

#3 PGA Championship 

#4 'British' Open

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

12 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

FFS…you’re totally missing it. Look, you’re taking the easy way out here. What a stupid comment to think I don’t sympathize with depression. I haven’t read anywhere that that’s his issue. Let down the ‘I must sympathize no matter what’ for just a moment. He’s won $6M on tour in 2 years. He got his first win in his very first year of playing. If depression is his issue then I’m certain there’s more at play than just his PGA performance. However…if his two years and $6M are bringing him down….I think he needs an attitude adjustment. 

Haven’t you figured it out yet, brother? There’s no room for nuance on this issue; you’re either a bad guy for not sympathizing or you’re one of the good guys. 

Back to covid stuff, the issue seems to be with the British government. The R&A seem to be doing what it has to, in accordance with the law, to even host the Open to begin with. Otherwise, they risk losing the field, or worse, the Open. 

note: I’m not saying I agree. Bubba’s situation is very unfortunate. 

Edited by ncates00

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

Haven’t you figured it out yet, brother? There’s no room for nuance on this issue; you’re either a bad guy for not sympathizing or you’re one of the good guys. 

Apparently. I guess when that patient comes to me saying they’re really unhappy because their new, dream job makes them come to work at 8am…I better really bring out the big guns for this.

On 7/11/2021 at 8:47 AM, colin007 said:

Matsuyama WDs. Apparently got COVID at the beginning of the month. WTF is it with these clowns not getting their jabs???

Matsuyama was vaccinated. At least that's what they said on PGA Tour radio this morning if I'm not mistaken. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I think I understand your premise @Vinsk but I don't follow to your conclusion. I would agree that - all other things being equal - saying that you don't want to enter an event because you have to isolate from family for a week could be interpreted as being whiney, primadonna-ish, whatever. 

But he doesn't have any obligation to play anywhere. It's not like he has a contract to play a given number of tournaments, and he's trying to shirk his responsibility with a lame excuse. 

For whatever reason - and his reasons are his business - he doesn't feel up to it. I don't see where he owes anyone any explanation at all, let alone an explanation that is "tough" enough or whatever. 

And yeah, whoever said that mental health is important and we deserve to cut the guy alot of slack, yes. If he had significant back issues an said he needed to rest a few weeks and get himself right, would we be saying boo hoo about that? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

JP Bouffard

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Chris Stewart said:

Big oof.

Their follow-up comments cement my position here, @Chris Stewart. Sorry, I don't really care for people who so cavalierly put down someone who is dealing with mental health.

3 hours ago, Zippo said:

I don't think I see the relation. If Wolff says he's grinding away and having a tough time, what does that have to do with any other golfer? It doesn't matter if there's a thousand grinding harder than him, he's still the one that has to live his life in his own head.

Yep. Thank you @Zippo.

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I think I’m being misunderstood here.

You're not, and the rest of your post confirms it.

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

My point is Matt Wolff has been on tour for two years. TWO years. He’s already won a tournament and made almost $6M. IF, and I mean IF his big mental issue is that he’s ‘been grinding it out here and things aren’t going my way’ then yes..boo f****** hoo.

So he's not allowed to have a mental health issue? Because he's — to your completely outside perspective — had it well and is just being "whiney"?

Your position here, with @ncates00, is in ridiculously poor taste. Similar to the reactions to that tennis player (Naomi Osaka).

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Yep.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

FFS…you’re totally missing it. Look, you’re taking the easy way out here. What a stupid comment to think I don’t sympathize with depression.

Ummmmm…

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I haven’t read anywhere that that’s his issue.

Then stop commenting, because you're clearly ignorant on this topic.

1324098595.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=12

SAN DIEGO — Matthew Wolff was riding high, part of the younger generation poised to take over golf. And then he was gone. Wolff, who seemingly had life by the scruff of the neck, was in trouble...
wolff-2.jpg

In his first competitive round in two months, Matt Wolff left Thursday at the U.S. Open in contention, and with plenty to discuss.
1324252709.jpg?w=640

Etc.

The articles may not all use the word "depression" but that's why I'm saying "mental health." Whatever you call it, I stand by my first response to the two of you.

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

No, that's not how it works, "brother." Stick to the topic. You're not a moderator, and never will be, despite your repeated attempts to (poorly) act as such.

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Apparently. I guess when that patient comes to me saying they’re really unhappy because their new, dream job makes them come to work at 8am…I better really bring out the big guns for this.

What a stupid take.

4 minutes ago, Big Lex said:

I think I understand your premise @Vinsk but I don't follow to your conclusion. I would agree that - all other things being equal - saying that you don't want to enter an event because you have to isolate from family for a week could be interpreted as being whiney, primadonna-ish, whatever. 

But he doesn't have any obligation to play anywhere. It's not like he has a contract to play a given number of tournaments, and he's trying to shirk his responsibility with a lame excuse. 

For whatever reason - and his reasons are his business - he doesn't feel up to it. I don't see where he owes anyone any explanation at all, let alone an explanation that is "tough" enough or whatever. 

And yeah, whoever said that mental health is important and we deserve to cut the guy alot of slack, yes. If he had significant back issues an said he needed to rest a few weeks and get himself right, would we be saying boo hoo about that? 

Thank you.

Mental health can be compromised in all sorts of people. Just because someone's life seems great doesn't mean it IS great.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Mental health can be compromised in all sorts of people. Just because someone's life seems great doesn't mean it IS great.

Yes, indeed, anyone (most of us) have or will struggle with mental health issues at some time in our life. And not for nothing, but contrary to the oft-opined view that professional golfers have it made, I think the life they live is pretty difficult. I'm not sure it's anything I'd want for myself or anyone I loved ... even if they were an elite player and a multimillionaire from it. It's an intense life, grueling physically and mentally, and you have to be pretty driven to make a career of it. 

Physical health is also pretty strongly linked to mental health, so there's that, too.....

JP Bouffard

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Well, when its been shown that the amount of money that lets you feel like you are not drowning to make by, then happiness doesn't increase with income generally. 

Just because he's made that much money, or gets to play a sport for a living, doesn't mean it allows him to be happy. 

Especially when they found that 45-50% of happiness is genetic. So, with out knowing his specifics, I wouldn't comment on his mental state or how he should be happy where he is at. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Meh, can't get excited by it. It's no Hoylake.

Although, when it comes to British Open courses, I enjoy watching the Open most when it's played in Scotland. Better still, with a bit of Scottish weather to add zest.

Zach Johnson and Bubba Watson have both removed themselves from the British Open due to Covid-19.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Now we might see a British Open field closer to what Jack use to play in 😉

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Zach Johnson and Bubba Watson have both removed themselves from the British Open due to Covid-19.

Let's be clear, as I posted above, Bubba doesn't have COVID-19. He was a "close contact" and has been fully vaccinated for awhile now.

Weak field.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!