IGNORED

2021 British Open (Players Angry Over COVID Protocols)

StuM
Note: This thread is 1010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?

• Yes
    • No

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, Phil didn't want to use the full title for the event?  The other three majors have short names (The Masters, The PGA, The Open) and this one the acronym is almost that long.

But for real, it's nice to see someone playing peacemaker. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

22 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Now we might see a British Open field closer to what Jack use to play in 😉

Given there was once a whole thread here devoted to "what defines a Major?" (the answer being appropriately nebulous, given there is no formal definition).

People have sometimes wondered if the Players would ever become the 5th Major. If your supposition is correct, or if that trend ever continued, perhaps it would merely become one of the four?

43 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

Given there was once a whole thread here devoted to "what defines a Major?" (the answer being appropriately nebulous, given there is no formal definition).

Ask someone who has not won The Open, U.S. Open, The Masters or the PGA but has won the Players how many majors they've won. It's far from nebulous. There are four majors. 

They are TOTALLY defined - essentially by exclusion of all other events. And every year that hoes by, this definition becomes more solid. If any other tournament is going to be called a major (and it has been by Nicklaus), it is the U.S. Amateur.

Craig Perks has no majors. Tim Clark has no majors. Matt Kuchar has no majors. Same with Rickie Fowler at the time of writing.

Ask any golf fan how many majors there are and what they are.

Give an example of a golfer who calls the Players a major.

What the PGATour would like and what actually exists are not the same.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I just hope the weather is ferocious and 74 is a great score. Much more entertaining than Nicholas Goffemhoven firing a fluke -8 on opening day.😃

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Ask someone who has not won The Open, U.S. Open, The Masters or the PGA but has won the Players how many majors they've won. It's far from nebulous. There are four majors. 

They are TOTALLY defined - essentially by exclusion of all other events. And every year that hoes by, this definition becomes more solid. If any other tournament is going to be called a major (and it has been by Nicklaus), it is the U.S. Amateur.

Craig Perks has no majors. Tim Clark has no majors. Matt Kuchar has no majors. Same with Rickie Fowler at the time of writing.

Ask any golf fan how many majors there are and what they are.

Give an example of a golfer who calls the Players a major.

What the PGATour would like and what actually exists are not the same.

While I agree with you, I do want to point out that the U.S. Amateur and British Amateur used to be considered majors, around 100 years ago when players like Bobby Jones and George von Elm were winning them.  I think the advent of the professional being well respected, plus of course the creation of the Masters, came the modern professional majors.  My history could be a bit off, I'd definitely welcome a correction.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Photobombed!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Time for my second favourite major! It’s a nice part of the world and a very scenic place to play golf. It’s Brooks Koepka’s  least favourite course on the Open rota, due to the high chances of bad breaks from good shots and a good number of blind shots. Unlike most links courses a lot of the holes run across the dunes, not through them, hence some really sloping lies.There is no out and back nature so the relative wind direction changes a lot. 

The weather is set fair with no rain forecast and not much wind either🙁

I am looking forwards to Bryson playing here. I reckon it is the sort of course that could send  him “full tilt”. 

Macintyre or Rahm  FTW please. 

Stevie T

8 hours ago, Beastie said:

The weather is set fair with no rain forecast and not much wind either🙁.

Bummer! Other than odd bounces, weather usually plays a big factor in the Open.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Bummer! Other than odd bounces, weather usually plays a big factor in the Open.

It’s just a nice breeze today. The rough is up though…..

050C3693-270A-467C-94E7-703E5818F209.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Stevie T

• Administrator

Why am I awake and watching this?

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Photobombed!

I am getting annoyed. NO ONE should be having that much fun in their 50s. 

Vishal S.

I really like the British commentating on Sirius. Rosie does such a great job.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Quite disappointed with the coverage available on The Open website. Seem to be only able to watch featured holes and featured groups are locked behind some sort of membership only available for UK.

I think it used to be one of the better events for online viewers but definitely not this time.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Why am I awake and watching this?

I asked myself the same thing as I sat on my couch at 1:30am. I dosed off until about 3 am est. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Wow. King Louis is at 6 under. 3 consecutive birdies from 8 and three more in 4 holes from 13.  No bogeys whatsoever.  Either conditions are easy (relative to this course) or he is playing lights out.

That being said, he has won a major so his talent has never been in question.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Woke up at 630, I've been watching while having breakfast and otherwise just lounging.  It's enjoyable.  Rory's lack of pars is bizarre. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Uggggggggh.  It's 2021 and they're still saying "it's mostly putting and short game" 😞 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 1010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!