IGNORED

2021 British Open (Players Angry Over COVID Protocols)

StuM
Note: This thread is 1009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?

• Yes
    • No

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

2) When you doubt your decisions it impedes your natural ability. 

3) Yes, but I won't gloat over it. But he has proven he cannot overcome his mental game.

These are really bad takes, @Billy Z. Spieth was a world #1 and owns 12 PGA Tour wins and three majors (including the one he's playing in right now). He in fact talked about how he likes to play "golf shots" rather than make golf swings, and if you look at where his major victories have come, you can see why the British Open might be one that suits him really well. Also, the importance of distance is diminished a bit, and the BO may be second only for him when it's all said and done to how he plays at Augusta National.

He's not much different now than when he was a junior showing off well at the Texas Open or Byron Nelson or whatever it was.

Really bad takes.

P.S. He's in third alone at the mid-point, but @Billy Z says he cannot "overcome" stuff. Well, he's currently beating over 150 others, so…?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

He in fact talked about how he likes to play "golf shots" rather than make golf swings,...

There it is. Couldn't put my finger on it, but that was what I was trying to say.

15 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

His hair might come in at 2 on the stimpmeter...

I think that is called "gorse" not "hair", but pretty cool.

23 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Maybe, at 5 under, this dolt should be focused on how he can catch Louie and not concerned with flaming some other dolt who barely made the cut.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Even though JS is only 3 back I just can't see him winning this tournament. He just can't get past his over analyzing and second-guessing attitude. 

I watched the Spieth/Grace/Dechambeau featured group today and I thought he played pretty well. I was at work, so I was following on my phone and not paying attention 100% of the time, but I didn't get a sense that he overanalyzed anything, just looked like typical Spieth/Greller stuff. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

20 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

Maybe, at 5 under, this dolt should be focused on how he can catch Louie and not concerned with flaming some other dolt who barely made the cut.

The whole Bryson/Brooks thing is tiresome. My friends who don't follow/play golf haven't gained any enthusiasm for the sport because of their petty beef. IMO they should both shut up and move on.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

46 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

Hitting great shots with the driver he so clearly loves will help him catch them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

18 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Hitting great shots with the driver he so clearly loves will help him catch them.

More like, clearly Bryson is still in his head. No wonder these guys have flopped in majors since the feud amped up. And no, a back door top 5 in the USO is not an accomplishment for someone like Brooks, who acts like he's god's gift to major championship golf. Talks a lot of trash for someone who hasn't won a major in more than 3 years and is obsessed with someone who can't get out of his own way right now.

Edited by PeaceFrogg

3 hours ago, Billy Z said:

3) Yes, but I won't gloat over it. But he has proven he cannot overcome his mental game.

I’m not sure I would assume a failure in the “mental game” for any player who comes in 2nd at any PGA Tour event.  To be in 2nd at that level, against the vast pool of talent in the pro game today, implies they have the mental game under control.  

• Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

3 minutes ago, StuM said:

I’m not sure I would assume a failure in the “mental game” for any player who comes in 2nd at any PGA Tour event.  To be in 2nd at that level, against the vast pool of talent in the pro game today, implies they have the mental game under control.  

I would go further to say that a player who has trouble finding the fairway with his driver, yet amassed 3 majors before age 24, is pretty strong mentally.

4 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Jordan has immense talent but cuts it short with his over- analyzing.

I wouldn't classify Jordan as a player who "over-analyzes" things. I think Jordan may be a basket case sometimes who may have some fidgety tendencies, but I wouldn't say he over-analyzes. Maybe it's distinction some may not see or agree with, but I see a difference. For example, especially when he was struggling, he took extra practice swings, had a fidgety manner (apart from just extra movement to stay loose instead of being static), talked about shots and numbers ad naseum with Greller, touched the towel (lol), all the talking to the ball and talking Greller's ear off after shots, etc. all showed me how he's a bit of a head case. I bet Greller says "yep" more than any one in the world.

But like others have said, apparently he's always been like this. Him trying to be more stoic and stiff could be detrimental to his game. I quite like Jordan though (he's not my favorite, but I'm a fan), so I may be biased I suppose. 

5 hours ago, Billy Z said:

1) 50 years

2) When you doubt your decisions it impedes your natural ability. 

4) Divisive, so I will not respond to this. 

1) Who would have believed it? But I suppose it's 50 x 1. It is just the same thing over and over again. 

2) Yes, talking to your caddy and sharing what you're thinking is a REALLY bad thing for a player/caddy relationship.😘

3) You admit that if Spieth doesn't win this tournament (when it's half over) you will see yourself as having made a point. That's real class right there. His failure to beat ALL of the 150 or whatever it is players in the tournament  would be your gain? And proof that you have psychic powers? BTW- please direct us to this "proof that he "can't overcome his mental game". A lot of people think he's doing a sensational job of overcoming one particularly harrowing major loss and a form slump. And you dare to call me divisive!

4) Then colour me "divisive" because I defend a player who has achieved more than almost any other to ever play the game at the age he is at. But feel free to respond if you can dig up this proof you have. I am not exactly the hugest fan of Jordan Spieth - but your comments are just so off base (ever wonder why you can't find a single person on this site to back you up), you're going to be seen as a bit lacking in the analysis department. 50 years. Wow. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 12.09.39 pm.png

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

12 hours ago, PeaceFrogg said:

More like, clearly Bryson is still in his head. No wonder these guys have flopped in majors since the feud amped up. And no, a back door top 5 in the USO is not an accomplishment for someone like Brooks, who acts like he's god's gift to major championship golf. Talks a lot of trash for someone who hasn't won a major in more than 3 years and is obsessed with someone who can't get out of his own way right now.

In Brook’s defense, he just had surgery recently. His surgeon was at The Masters. I agree he needs to move past the feud crap, but it takes time to recover from surgery. He contended in the PGA. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Good morning everyone.  I decided I should watch more European Tour golf:  I really like this "wake up, get morning things together while watching golf" routine I have today and the last two days.  Today I woke up, saw Rory McIlroy miss a fairway with an iron (second time I've seen that on a par-5 in the last 24 hours), then saw Brooks and Bryson hanging out at the ranch in adjacent hitting bays.  There have also been some other golf shots and a brief bit about Ian Fleming.  I believe I will re-read that section of the book later today and perhaps watch the scene from the movie, too (especially now that the closing two holes will be better fresh in my mind).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Nevermind about my thought of re-watching the scene from Goldfinger after the golf today.  IMDB tells me the golf scenes were filmed at Stoke Poges Golf Club, not at this course.  I may end up re-reading the book section to see how much of this course stands out (although it was written in the 1950s, so I'm sure the course has changed a bit).

-- Michael | My swing! 

17 hours ago, iacas said:

These are really bad takes, @Billy Z. Spieth was a world #1 and owns 12 PGA Tour wins and three majors (including the one he's playing in right now). He in fact talked about how he likes to play "golf shots" rather than make golf swings, and if you look at where his major victories have come, you can see why the British Open might be one that suits him really well. Also, the importance of distance is diminished a bit, and the BO may be second only for him when it's all said and done to how he plays at Augusta National.

He's not much different now than when he was a junior showing off well at the Texas Open or Byron Nelson or whatever it was.

Really bad takes.

P.S. He's in third alone at the mid-point, but @Billy Z says he cannot "overcome" stuff. Well, he's currently beating over 150 others, so…?

Fair enough, good response. Although, we will see him fade towards the end, mark my words. @Billy Zwill eat crow otherwise! 

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

I already have YouTube TV and Peacock but I noticed you can get 45 minutes of free streaming of the main broadcast (I was forwarded to GC from theopen.com), dunno if it holds for others or later on.

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.30.35 AM.png

This segmented bar round score tracker (looks like dashes) is useful.

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 10.26.01 AM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1009 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!