IGNORED

How Would You Play it? — Heron Lakes Great Blue #16

mdl
Note: This thread is 957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Driver 230+ to left side, leaving 90 or so yards in. Easy birdie. 🙂

image.png.174bdd0f896d78107e0d4b447ab1df89.png

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’d hit an iron or whatever depending on the tee to the right side, then have a short iron in with a good angle to the green.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

14 hours ago, phillyk said:

I'd go for the green with driver, definitely favoring an aim point at the left bunkers. Probably walk away with par anyway.

This comment makes me think of Mid South #2. 😉

I assume you remember driving the green in fourball at 2017 Newport Cup.  Pretty sure that was a longer carry than this one lol. 

16 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

This comment makes me think of Mid South #2. 😉

I assume you remember driving the green in fourball at 2017 Newport Cup.  Pretty sure that was a longer carry than this one lol. 

The carry at mid south was longer, although there I was more concerned about the houses I was directly hitting over haha! These sorts of carries are fun, because I feel I focus in more as there isn’t room for error. 

On 7/23/2021 at 7:30 AM, klineka said:

How far you do hit driver and how wide is your lateral dispersion?

On the line of the front left greenside bunker, that's 317 from the 6400yd tee and its only 47yds wide between the water and the right edge of the cart path, and just a few yards short of that it gets as narrow as like  37 yds between water and the cart path.

If you hit something that went like 280 off the tee, youd have like a 55 yd wide landing area between the water and the cart path and only have a ~60 yd shot to the middle of the green for your second.

Seems like a lot of risk for a minimal reward especially when those bunkers are above the green level and the green slopes severely away from you if you are left of the green.

Especially seeing it from this angle those look like some nasty bunker shots or downhill lies to be chipping from

image.png

Not concerned with carry as much as dispersion. The shot shape will depend on how I feel at the tee and what the day has dictated. Generally though for this, I’d go for the cut while aiming left bunkers. Straight is ok, cut will be ok. I could go 3W instead but I’d be over thinking it’s carry instead of swinging a good swing. 

I’d feel confident enough with the shot. Worst happens is you hit in water with 170 in. Should be able to make bogey from there or better. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• iacas changed the title to How Would You Play it? — Heron Lakes Great Blue #16
On 7/23/2021 at 6:45 AM, phillyk said:

I'd go for the green with driver, definitely favoring an aim point at the left bunkers. Probably walk away with par anyway.

On days when I'm hitting my driver well this is my play too. Otherwise I'll usually hit 4i a tad left of the aim point denoted by the white lines on the left fairway. Though honestly I set the bar of "playing driver well" a little low and block a driver into the water too often 😬

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 4 weeks later...

It looks as though the landing area on the left is right at 230 which is about what I carry my driver usually and then a nice 100 yard wedge and then the fun begins.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

• 3 weeks later...

image.png.48a24654b781a85cced3e30467e11b45.png

Depends on which tee is used.

• Tee A: Let 7W land soft and roll out, then aim 7i at left edge of green and fade it.
  • Tee B: Though shorter, be more aggressive. Hit a chokedown driver. If it flies into water, take one-stroke drop and play on. Lay-ups on shots like this usually end up in bad stuff, farther from green than aggressive try would be. A full or chokedown SW would do it for approach.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!