IGNORED

Kept Stats for a Round and Found Out I Am Apparently a Horrible Putter. Seeking Advice.

ZANDER1994
Note:Β This thread is 973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Today I snuck out of work early to play 18. I shot a 90.

I kept stats as part of this new habit and again was really disappointedΒ to see:Β 

10/18Β GIR

8/14 FIR

7 three-putts

9 two-putts

2 one-putts

41Β putts total

Bleh. Just really disappointed in myself. Back to the practiceΒ greens I guess. Does anybody have any putter suggestions? Thinking it’s time for a change.

Β 

Β 

29 minutes ago, ZANDER1994 said:

Does anybody have any putter suggestions?

I think there’s a lot of personal preference involved with putters. I’d go with whichever one that you can aim the best, whether that’s head shape, shaft position, and alignment markings.

-Peter

• :titleist:Β TSR2
  • :callaway:Β Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg:Β GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon:Β ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:Β  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
8 hours ago, reidsou said:

Ram Zebra!Β Or any putter that inspires practice.Β 

Huh?

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

On 8/2/2021 at 8:55 AM, reidsou said:

Replace the grip if you want, but a new putter won't matter (unless it makes you practice more).Β 

You can't say that with any degree of confidence, it's entirely possible that @ZANDER1994Β aims his current putter horribly off line and it's entirely possible that getting a new putter that is a different shape might help him line it up more accurately.

Or the weight of the current putter could be much different than what is optimal for him and that could be throwing off his speed control.Β 

You've never seen the guy putt, he's using a generic 20 year old putter, and he's never been fit for a putter. How can you honestly say that him getting a new putter won't matter? You don't know that for a fact.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

11 hours ago, ZANDER1994 said:

Today I snuck out of work early to play 18. I shot a 90.

I kept stats as part of this new habit and again was really disappointedΒ to see:Β 

10/18Β GIR

8/14 FIR

7 three-putts

9 two-putts

2 one-putts

41Β putts total

Bleh. Just really disappointed in myself. Back to the practiceΒ greens I guess. Does anybody have any putter suggestions? Thinking it’s time for a change.

Β 

Β 

Do you know the distances of your first putt?Β  Β Of your 7 3 putts, were they from 90' or 21'?Β  Β It really does make a difference.Β  Β Nobody likes 3 putts but it's not unrealistic to 3 putt from a very long distance.

• Upvote 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

52 minutes ago, klineka said:

You can't say that with any degree of confidence, it's entirely possible that @ZANDER1994Β aims his current putter horribly off line and it's entirely possible that getting a new putter that is a different shape might help him line it up more accurately.

Or the weight of the current putter could be much different than what is optimal for him and that could be throwing off his speed control.Β 

You've never seen the guy putt, he's using a generic 20 year old putter, and he's never been fit for a putter. How can you honestly say that him getting a new putter won't matter? You don't know that for a fact.

Starting at a baseline of 9 three putts per round - practice is key. Focusing on new equipment is just a distraction. (And alignment and speed control are part of practice.)Β 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, reidsou said:

Starting at a baseline of 9 three putts per round - practice is key. Focusing on new equipment is just a distraction. (And alignment and speed control are part of practice.)Β 

You missed his point.

Absolutely practice will help. If he aims his current putter 6Β° right, or it has poor weighting for him, so can a new putter.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, reidsou said:

But if he practices aligning "straight" with his current putter and heΒ is actually aiming say 6 inches to the right of where he thinks he is aiming, then that practice could be doing more harm than good.Β 

I don't see how a putter fitting could hurt, and I don't see how you have enough information from this post to determine that a new putter won't matter and that focusing on new equipment would just be a distraction.

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

@dennyjonesshared a link to a Strokes Gained Putting calculator in another thread I found useful.Β  Just track the length of your 1st putt and number of putts on each hole.Β  That will tell you if you are in need of "Fixing" your putting.Β  That being said, I am proof of the 65-20-15 practice routine.Β  I spent a lot of time to improve my putting earlier this yearΒ but my Tee & Approach shots are lacking so even with improved putting I am not seeing as low of scores as I would like.Β  I see noΒ problem spending time to focus on putting for a little while but agree you cannot ignore tee and approach shots and eventually need to get back to focus on the tee & approach shots.Β  The reason is that, no matter how good a putter you are, if you are not nGIR or GIR you cannot count on draining a lot of 1-Putts for Par/Birdie.Β  Getting on or near the green in regulation is paramount.

Β 

• Like 1

Stuart M.
Β 

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* /Β 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBOREΒ XLS / 4,5 & 6Β Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI /Β Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD /Β Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 /Β Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* /Β Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7SΒ /Β Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: LabattΒ Blue (or anything nice & cold)Β 

13 hours ago, ZANDER1994 said:

10/18Β GIR

Β 

Β 

I wish I had your GIR numbers, I hit the first 6 GIR the other day and it was like a new game, but like someone said down-thread, if you're hitting GIR and your first putt is 60 feet, you gotta expect some 3-putts.Β 

Now, sounds like you want a new putter! ;-)Β Go for it, many deals on slightly used putters available. Go to Dick's or wherever, try some out, they do feel different. For example I've got both a Odyssey Rossie (soft insert) and a Ping Anser 2 (hard insert) and they feel quite different. Neither was bought brand new(Rossie was $20 and I put a new grip on it), both work fine. Lots of choices...

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;Β  Β  Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

13 hours ago, ZANDER1994 said:

Pretty sure this just means you need to go get yourself a Scotty, Bettinardi, or custom-fitted Edel. Expensive putters are the only solution, right?

On a serious note, I would recommend that you at least do a basic putter fitting to find what style of putterhead you can aim most correctly and consistently. I know the Edel fittings are more in-depth and include different types of alignment markings as well, but for most people the shape of the head and the type of shaft neck will make the biggest differences.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

On a serious note, I would recommend that you at least do a basic putter fitting to find what style of putterhead you can aim most correctly and consistently.

I 100% agree with this.Β  I did a putter fitting this spring and was told that they way I was stroking the putt along with my putter I was actually lofting the putts @ 4 degrees and putting back spin on them.Β  That explained a lot of short putts over the years.Β  The fitter worked to get me in a putter that I simply did not loft that much.Β  I never would have know that without the fitting.Β  Nice thing, of all the putters he had me hit he recommended one of the lesser expensive ones.Β  So much for the Scotty Cameron I had looked at and liked so much πŸ˜₯.Β Β 

Stuart M.
Β 

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* /Β 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBOREΒ XLS / 4,5 & 6Β Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI /Β Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD /Β Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 /Β Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* /Β Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7SΒ /Β Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: LabattΒ Blue (or anything nice & cold)Β 

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Do you know the distances of your first putt?Β  Β Of your 7 3 putts, were they from 90' or 21'?Β  Β It really does make a difference.Β  Β Nobody likes 3 putts but it's not unrealistic to 3 putt from a very long distance.

^^This^^

Everyone wants to blame the putter, but if your long game consistently puts you in the three putt range then all your practicing is for not. Start looking at your proximity to the hole stat as well the get a better idea of whats really going on. A little improvement in your ball striking can go a long way to improve those putting stats. You will three putt a lot less from 20 feet than you will from 40 feet.

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Not sure about anyone else, but I find that I'm very home course dependent with putting.

My old home had slow greens. My new one has fast, undulating greens. I adapted reasonably well to both and don't three-putt very much.Β 

On the road and it's like I got a sack over my head and got skulled with a hammer.

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Not sure about anyone else, but I find that I'm very home course dependent with putting.

I found this to be very true for myself.Β Β I play multiple courses throughout the year.Β  Β I don't spend enough time getting the green speed correct before playing and my distance control suffers.Β  Β  I've been using that online strokes gained putting calculator and my rounds have varied from +3.6 to -4.8 compared to a scratch golfer.Β Β 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

Note:Β This thread is 973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!