IGNORED

How did you get to a single digit handicap?

mrobbie
Note: This thread is 2809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really think the difference is alot of things. Athletic ability, commitment, not being afraid to succeed, and just an understanding and imagination of how to play the game. To say it's not based on talent is wrong because you can practice untill your blue, but it's what happens when the heats on that makes it special. I love the feeling that I'm about to throw up because then I know I'm in the middle of it and I now have the chance to raise "MY LEVEL" and play better than I have before. If you want to get to single digits you have a chance because you want to, but the only way I know to get there is the scoring time(short game). Learn to develop your own personal FEEL for the short game. It's boring and not as fun as taking it deep, but if you develop feel you'll be happier in the long run. Set a goal for this season that your going to have less than 30 putts each round. You won't believe what just that can do for your game......bwgolfer

TaylorMade Burner TP 9.5* stiff shaft Driver and Taylormade 15* medal
Cleveland utilities 22*
Taylormade tour prefered irons with rifle flighted 6.0
Taylormade z groove tp wedges 52* and 58*
Rife Antigua blade putterTitlest Pro V1X, Bridgestone 3000s Black

to get down to 5 or below and play to it consistently, golf needs to be your life and you need to play 2 to 5 times a week with practice .

thats my trick, play as much as you can!

to get to single digits, i lived golf, and i still live golf. but really, to score low, a lot of it has to do with course management and a strong, strong short game. capitalizing on up-and-downs, sand saves, and 15 foot birdie putts is very important in shaving strokes. also, have a strong mental game. it always helps to have confidence in your shots and trusting your shots.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I went from a 16 to a 10 in less than 3 months, but as you get lower it becomes exponentially more difficult. if you can shoot 79-85 half the time then you can linger around 9.

At one time I was a 6.4, but it gets really tough as you get closer to zero. I realize to go lower I have to start taking every stroke more seriously. The 0-5 handicappers I have played with are very deliberate. They read every putt carefully, even the short ones, and have solid preshot routines. They don't go ahead and swing if they are distracted. They don't get to a chip shot and think they'd rather have a SW instead of the PW in their hand, and then use the PW anyway. If you look at the face of their clubs there is a worn area in the sweet spot. Personally, there is a level of "seriousness" about their game that I find a little unappealing when I am thinking of enjoying myself on the course.

To reach that level of consitency takes some talent and lot of work and a "will" to play that well. Not everyone would find it "fun" to play the way you have to play to be that good. I am comfortable playing to my 8-9 index and, while I would like to play better, I'm not sure I want do what is required to get to a 5 or lower.

I'm sure these remarks will be misinterpreted by some, but I suspect those who have worked to get below a 5 index will get my meaning.

SubPar

Most 18 handicappers could become 9 handicappers inside of a month if they work on:

Thanks for the encouragement my friend. When I hit 18 handicap, I will aim to prove you right!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most 18 handicappers could become 9 handicappers inside of a month if they work on:

I would think this is likely true. I waste too many shots when I miss the green and fail to get up and down. I also still occasionally follow the bad shot with the stupid shot. Too often I try to make up for a mistake with one swing.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

My situation is most likely like other high HC's....if I could just have more rounds where everything was decent, I could drop my HC a lot.

I'll putt great, but drive bad, then drive great, and have poor iron play.....man o'man...gotta love it though

Ive played for 10 years and just started tracking my handicap 3 years ago (When i was 13) When i started entering scores it just started at a 12. So working from a 12 to an 8 in a period of 3 years isnt that much of an accomplishment.

I just greatly notice i get better every year.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I would love it if my dad was a pro, instead he plays off about 28

really? my dad plays of about 38(not a joke. really.) Still, he got me started in golf, and will pay greens fees so i 'put up' with him. Even with his lack of skills he is still my favorite playing partner.

really? my dad plays of about 38(not a joke. really.) Still, he got me started in golf, and will pay greens fees so i 'put up' with him. Even with his lack of skills he is still my favorite playing partner.

I feel the same man, My dad is around a 14 Handicap and out of all my friends hes my favorite playing partner also.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

My mom wants to take up golf again in her soon-to-be retirement after not playing for 35+ years other than a few trips to the range with me. Maybe this will help me get to single digits: wanting to impress her with great golf shots.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I took the game back up around 3 years ago. My index last year ran from 7.2 to 8.2. I play a Fazio course at around 6500yds. I don't drive the ball very far and I'm a lousy iron player. But I can chip and putt and usually get as many pars as bogeys. I think it also helps to play with better players. It makes me want to work on my game so I can compete with them.

I have played with some pro's and they definatly are more deliberate than I am. I still throw away a couple of shots a round from just not taking the time to think about what I needed to do.

Woods: Titleist 909 D3, Titleist 909 F2
Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue
Irons: Titleist AP-2
Wedges: Titleist Vokey spin milled
Putter: White Hot 2 ball.

Ball striking is important but a good short game is priceless. I have put in a bunch of hours practicing the putting stroke in my living room and on the practice green. Hitting pitch shots in the yard has been big as well. Even when I'm not hitting the ball great I can count on my short game to keep my game from falling apart. Things like course management improve over time and by gleaning advice from better golfers.

Ball striking is important but a good short game is priceless. I have put in a bunch of hours practicing the putting stroke in my living room and on the practice green. Hitting pitch shots in the yard has been big as well. Even when I'm not hitting the ball great I can count on my short game to keep my game from falling apart. Things like course management improve over time and by gleaning advice from better golfers.

I agree with course management....I played with a couple of low HC players last week...They helped me a great deal with the layout of the course....what to look out for....etc, etc.

Funny thing is I putted better, chipped better...mainly because I was in a comfortable shot range for the club/s I was using.....

I still play with him, I'd play with my dad regardless of his handicap, but its never helped my golf alot to be honest

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I have been playing competition golf for 1 year and golf all over for about 1.5 years, and got down to 10. I have been aiming since I started for single figures by 2 years of comp. I practice short game and putting about once a week, but prefer to hit the ball well then have a good short game even though the short game is more important.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

So working from a 12 to an 8 in a period of 3 years isnt that much of an accomplishment.

Don't down play it. I would argue that it is easier to go from 36-32 or 24-20 or ever 16-12 than it would be to go from 12-8. As you get better, each stroke is a little tougher to shave off your game because the margin for error continues to get smaller.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I started to be able to control my shotmaking ability off the tee, just the confidence of knowing where I need to put the ball in the fairway and doing it. Knowing your wedges, how they work and their accurate distances. And finally putting, avoiding 3 putts at all cost

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Note: This thread is 2809 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!