IGNORED

Annoying Golf Partners

Sandy Lie
Note: This thread is 850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, StuM said:

OMG, I was out with a client today, first time I ever golfed with him.  He is nice enough but I wanted to KILL HIM.

Strike 1: I am walking up to my putt, @ 6 footer for par, when he just takes his club and swats it back at me saying "That's good".  I tell him I like to putt out and place it back to it original spot then I miss the putt and get bogey.  He says "You should have just taken the gimmie". 

Strike 2: I hit a bad iron shot and landed in tall weeds about 3 feet from the boundary fence, clearly in bounds.  I look at the lie, go to my bag to get a club and he kicks it out of the weeds into the rough and says, "You do not want to play that lie".  Lucky I looked at the ball so I could re-create the lie, and hit a beauty right onto the green. 

Strike 3: I hit a drive into a penalty area and decide to re-tee it taking stroke & distance.  I shot a 6 on the par-4 taking S&D into account.  After the round I am adding up the scores and I notice he erased my 6 and changed it to a 4.  I commented on that and he said "You are welcome" and said that if I did not insist on hitting from such bad lies and take a mulligan now and then I would score better like him.

I so much wanted to say, "Sure, I could shoot under-par if I cheated like you" but since he is a client I just bit my tongue.

Wonder what business contracts he may play fast & loose with …

Just sayin’ :whistle:

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Have a guy that generally very good to play with that for a while, 3/4 years, would be walking around behind us when we would tee off. Took a while to figure out that he was looking for broken tees long enough to play with. Gave him a bag of tees and told he he was messing up my tee shots. Problem solved, he's one that's never bought a ball either but still plays very good.

Driver - Ping 410+ 12°, Fairway -TM Burner 5W, Hybrid - 3&4 TM Rescue dual, Irons -  Mizuno MX200 5-G, SW - Callaway X Tour, Putter - Odyssey 1W Versa

13 hours ago, StuM said:

OMG, I was out with a client today, first time I ever golfed with him.  He is nice enough but I wanted to KILL HIM.

Strike 1: I am walking up to my putt, @ 6 footer for par, when he just takes his club and swats it back at me saying "That's good".  I tell him I like to putt out and place it back to it original spot then I miss the putt and get bogey.  He says "You should have just taken the gimmie". 

Strike 2: I hit a bad iron shot and landed in tall weeds about 3 feet from the boundary fence, clearly in bounds.  I look at the lie, go to my bag to get a club and he kicks it out of the weeds into the rough and says, "You do not want to play that lie".  Lucky I looked at the ball so I could re-create the lie, and hit a beauty right onto the green. 

Strike 3: I hit a drive into a penalty area and decide to re-tee it taking stroke & distance.  I shot a 6 on the par-4 taking S&D into account.  After the round I am adding up the scores and I notice he erased my 6 and changed it to a 4.  I commented on that and he said "You are welcome" and said that if I did not insist on hitting from such bad lies and take a mulligan now and then I would score better like him.

I so much wanted to say, "Sure, I could shoot under-par if I cheated like you" but since he is a client I just bit my tongue.

I absolutely cannot stand people like this.   What I read from it is that everyone has to play the way that they do, and they can't respect that other people don't.  I don't care what the relationship is, that's just not respecting boundaries that other people can play the way that they want to.

And then of course when you don't appreciate it, then they get offended like they were doing you a massive favor by not cheating or bending the rules.

—Adam

On 8/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, imsys0042 said:

Mine was my mother.  She was a very angry person with a temper.   Golf was not her game.  She took it up to spend time with me when I was a teenager, after I started playing when I was a caddie.

she had a violent, slashing swing.   Her clubs were a set of old MacGregor blades and she would hit the 2-iron a lot off the tee.   It would go far, but rarely where she wanted.  Seriously, it was like some type of hockey motion.

she was easily frustrated and had zero short game.  She would ping pong back and forth across the green because her chipping miss was blading the ball.  She’d get mad, start swearing and sometimes take 4 chips/pitches around the green.  Several times I’d have to apologize because she’d get mad and swear so much.  If she was in a bunker, forget it.  Just run!

Her main quirk was water though.   It could be a lake or a 2 foot wide stream in front of her.  She’d find it.   We were in Myrtle Beach at Wild Wing Hummingbird years ago and there is a creek hat winds through.  She was about 20 feet in front of he creek that was only a couple of feet deep in front of her.  Sure enough, she topped it and it went in the creek, carried away by the current.   She was super pissed and I couldn’t stop laughing.   We didn’t talk for most of the rest of the day. 

I couldn't stop muffle laughing at this knowing this could have been my late mom had she ever played golf... 😂

It does remind me of another lady I played with a couple of years ago. She was a 6-cap having a bad day. Incidentally my wife was riding with me that day and she couldn't stop the church giggles at some of the tantrums. Few times I had to stop the cart far enough in between shots/holes to let her laugh it off without embarrassing the nice lady. Something about her British accent made it particularly more entertaining.

At one time leaving a particularly bad venture she tripped/stumbled and fell trying to walk over bushes to get back to our parked carts. Walking close enough to her I instinctively held my hand out to help her up but she swatted away in anger and disgust. As the book says, hilarity ensued.. 

My wife has changed her mind about golf being a boring 'sport' since.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, gg194 said:

Have a guy that generally very good to play with that for a while, 3/4 years, would be walking around behind us when we would tee off. Took a while to figure out that he was looking for broken tees long enough to play with. Gave him a bag of tees and told he he was messing up my tee shots. Problem solved, he's one that's never bought a ball either but still plays very good.

I hate the "Ball Fishers" that cannot pass any water without pulling out their retriever and plucking out some balls.  If I see a nice shiny one where I think I went it I may pull it out just to confirm where I need to drop, but usually I do not even do that.  Its a time waster and usually the balls retrieved are not balls I would like to play with.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

The worst for me is subtle directed drops of tips/hints or what "his pro" told him..when he is a worse player than you..far worse.  From what I've learned over the years is STFU and play.  This post refers to my first round after years away.  We were playing in a foursome..work group.  One of the youngest guys in our group..all decked out in Dry-Fit Nike Golf/X-Armor (or is it Armor X) down to the TW golf shoes.  He starts marking his ball for alignment and said I should also do this and that it helps with putting..LMFAO..I just smiled.   He saw my bag (I have mostly Mizuno/Titleist stuff)..he said the best driver are Mizuno...LMFAO again..just smiled.  As we play, he was constantly reminding the group what he was putting for (this is for par, birdie, etc..) which became annoying after the 2nd hole..yikes.  

22 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

It does remind me of another lady I played with a couple of years ago. She was a 6-cap having a bad day. Incidentally my wife was riding with me that day and she couldn't stop the church giggles at some of the tantrums. Few times I had to stop the cart far enough in between shots/holes to let her laugh it off without embarrassing the nice lady. Something about her British accent made it particularly more entertaining.

In 30+ years of playing, there have only been a couple of people that I've felt like laughing at.   One was "Howie" who was the most depressing person I've ever met.   Every word that came out of his mouth was just so negative and down, not angry, just absolutely Debbie Downer stuff.   After a while it was just so obvious that I couldn't stop thinking about it and every time he said something, or hit a bad shot, I had to turn away.   He was a horrible player, or at least having a really bad day.

But...the other person I've felt like laughing at, several times, is my father-in-law.   We don't speak now, but that's because his wife has ruined everything (although he's pretty bad himself now).  However we used to play golf a lot.  He's got that slow burn like Judge Smails from Caddyshack.   He's fine for a while, but when it goes off the rails at some point he loses his ****.  We were playing a course and I was having a really good day, and he wasn't.  He started crabbing big time on the 11th hole when he was in and out and back in (multiple times) a huge horseshoe bunker around the green.   I knew it was coming after that.   Duck hook off the next couple of tees and he finally lost it on the 14th tee.   He duck hooked it after 30 feet into the weeds in front of the tee box.   Then he comically threw his driver in after it and had to find it.   This is after a few holes of hearing him beat himself up, muttering and complaining.  I was trying my hardest not to laugh all thru the 14th hole, somehow made par.   Then I started laughing on the 15th tee and blew one OB.   It's just comical watch him come unglued.   

He pretty much hits a big banana ball.   So he aims left.   It comes apart when his miss is to roll his hands over and hit a low hook.   So frequently he is aimed left and then hooks it left, usually into a bunch of trees about 60 yards off the tee.   He'll do it like 8 times in a row.  It's funny up until he says things like "I'm just the biggest idiot who ever picked up a golf club", then I start to low grade feel sorry for him.

21 minutes ago, StuM said:

I hate the "Ball Fishers" that cannot pass any water without pulling out their retriever and plucking out some balls.  If I see a nice shiny one where I think I went it I may pull it out just to confirm where I need to drop, but usually I do not even do that.  Its a time waster and usually the balls retrieved are not balls I would like to play with.

OMG, yes.   I admit if I lose a couple of nice balls in a round I start to go looking when I have time, but never at the expense of the other players.   Last month we saw someone fishing for balls on #10 and the three people he was with just left him and started to the next hole.  Don't blame them.

5 minutes ago, Maverick said:

The worst for me is subtle directed drops of tips/hints or what "his pro" told him..when he is a worse player than you..far worse.  From what I've learned over the years is STFU and play.  This post refers to my first round after years away.  We were playing in a foursome..work group.  One of the youngest guys in our group..all decked out in Dry-Fit Nike Golf/X-Armor (or is it Armor X) down to the TW golf shoes.  He starts marking his ball for alignment and said I should also do this and that it helps with putting..LMFAO..I just smiled.   He saw my bag (I have mostly Mizuno/Titleist stuff)..he said the best driver are Mizuno...LMFAO again..just smiled.  As we play, he was constantly reminding the group what he was putting for (this is for par, birdie, etc..) which became annoying after the 2nd hole..yikes.  

I never comment on someone else's game.   If someone if a good player, I don't mind hearing something they notice is wrong, but I don't feel qualified to comment on what someone else is doing nor do I think most people want to hear it.  Especially since I've seen some really weird swings, yet these people know where the ball is going and score well.

• Like 1

—Adam

I joined a 3some and one of the guys was a club thrower. This ja threw clubs 50 yds or so. Not surprisingly, he had one of the worst swings I have seen, and thought he deserved better results. His bag consisted of only irons, because as he put it, " I threw three full sets of woods (driver, fairways) into the pond at my local course." He literally ran out of woods he owned and could not afford replacements. After he threw a club the 2nd time I told them to play on and joined the 2some behind us. What a fool.

One of the members at our club is very fond of backhanded sarcastic compliments. "Great lag!" if you leave a putt short from 8-10 feet or "Best shot you've hit all day" for unremarkable shots while not saying anything at actual good shots. It's lame but of course he thinks he is gaming the crap out of us. 

Vishal S.

21 hours ago, GolfLug said:

One of the members at our club is very fond of backhanded sarcastic compliments. "Great lag!" if you leave a putt short from 8-10 feet or "Best shot you've hit all day" for unremarkable shots while not saying anything at actual good shots. It's lame but of course he thinks he is gaming the crap out of us. 

i make those all the time...towards myself. misread a putt, leave it 8' short and it rolls right instead of left leaving me more like a 12' because of how bad I misready/hit it will inevitably get a "that was a great putt other than distance and direction"

when playing with the guys I have played 2 man scrambles against for decades, we are merciless to each other, whether good or bad Stick one to 4' from 180 out? "That the best you got?" sink a 20'er? "I've seen better"

at the same time...those are just with people we know. People we didn't that feels like a no-fly zone

1 hour ago, darthweasel said:

When playing with the guys I have played 2 man scrambles against for decades, we are merciless to each other,

Yeah, context and relationship is operative. The wife points out a wrinkle or two showing up between her own eyebrows every now and then. Can't imagine me making that tragic mistake.. lol.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Vishal S.

5 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yeah, context and relationship is operative. The wife points out a wrinkle or two showing up between her own eyebrows every now and then. Can't imagine me making that tragic mistake.. lol.

2131A428-556B-4511-A3F7-28420FC7FF02.gif

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 8/7/2021 at 8:43 AM, colin007 said:

Lol you would hate playing with me then - because of a retinal condition, I've lost 80% of my field of vision and now rely almost completely on my partners (who almost always already know me and my vision issues) to be able to play. I can no longer play alone because I simply cannot see the ball 9 out of 10 shots. I still try my best to help watch others balls if I'm able to, but my disability makes it tough. 🙂

I have retinal tears in both eyes. I can usually see where my ball goes, but I do have permanent damage so some spots are hard to see, also in certain glaring light conditions it's hard to keep track  I always ask whoever I'm playing with to watch my shots, and so far nobody has complained.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max, 3w: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5W: Callaway Steelhead XR, 3 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 4 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5 Hybrid Callaway Steelhead XR, 6-PW: Callaway Rogue, 56° wedge: Callaway Jaws, 60° Sand Wedge: Callaway XR, Putter: S2H2 Paul Runyon

2 hours ago, cdb said:

I have retinal tears in both eyes. I can usually see where my ball goes, but I do have permanent damage so some spots are hard to see, also in certain glaring light conditions it's hard to keep track  I always ask whoever I'm playing with to watch my shots, and so far nobody has complained.

Retinitis pigmentosa here.

Colin P.

On 8/7/2021 at 8:43 AM, colin007 said:

Lol you would hate playing with me then - because of a retinal condition, I've lost 80% of my field of vision and now rely almost completely on my partners (who almost always already know me and my vision issues) to be able to play. I can no longer play alone because I simply cannot see the ball 9 out of 10 shots. I still try my best to help watch others balls if I'm able to, but my disability makes it tough. 🙂

Colin, I would play again with you in a heartbeat!! Hope I get a chance again soon..:beer:

• Like 1

Vishal S.

6 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Colin, I would play again with you in a heartbeat!! Hope I get a chance again soon..:beer:

V I would love that.... Two friends of ours moved to Portsmouth so we have even more reason to make the trip down to visit the fam.

I'll bring my sticks this time so I don't look like I'm gaming Fisher Price/Playskool irons 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

• 1 month later...
Note: This thread is 850 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!