IGNORED

Lofted Putters/Chippers

Jack50
Note: This thread is 788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 minutes ago, MattM said:

Lol...those are always weird statements...Im not sacrificing any club!  I have a driver, mini driver (my 3wood), 9 wood, 5iron through gap wedge, 58 degree, 62 degree, hybrid wedge and putter.  I have no real gaps and didnt need to "sacrifice" a club.  Again I havent sacrificed any club...

Good for you if your gaps are covered…a lot of different ways to skin the proverbial cat.  While I have my hybrid where you have a 9W, I’d be losing my 5W with that set up.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, woodzie264 said:

Good for you if your gaps are covered. while I’d have my hybrid where you have a 9W, I’d be losing my 5W with that set up.

If you ever hit the 9 wood you would be ok with getting rid of the hybrid and 5 wood.  Literally I can hit it anywhere from 190 yards to 225 yards.  Last week I took what I thought to be an easy swing on my home horse's par 5 from 245 yards out and it wound up in the trap hole high which sucked cuz it made it look like I was hitting it at the people on the green (but I wasn't).

It's a GREAT club and the oldest in my bag.  It's an rbz 9 wood.  I'll prolly never get rid of it!

15 minutes ago, MattM said:

Lol...those are always weird statements...Im not sacrificing any club!  I have a driver, mini driver (my 3wood), 9 wood, 5iron through gap wedge, 58 degree, 62 degree, hybrid wedge and putter.  I have no real gaps and didnt need to "sacrifice" a club.  Again I havent sacrificed any club...

I feel pretty confident that you have a big gap between a mini driver and a 9w. And you carry a 58 and a 62? Big gap between GW and 58 more than likely as well. 

Again, like everyone is saying: if you think you need it, fine. It’s your golf game. My driving iron is slightly a one trick pony as well. However, you would probably do better by learning how to chip. Chipping with other clubs isn’t much harder to do than with a chipper. 

FWIW, and it may not be worth much, I have driver, 3w, driving iron, 7w, 4h, 5-PW (48*), 54*, 60*, putter. 

Edited by ncates00

10 minutes ago, MattM said:

from 245 yards out and it wound up in the trap hole high

Wait, I thought you “literally” can hit it from 190-225? 🤔

10 minutes ago, MattM said:

Literally I can hit it anywhere from 190 yards to 225 yards.

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

I feel pretty confident that you have a big gap between a mini driver and a 9w. And you carry a 58 and a 62? Big gap between GW and 58 more than likely as well. 

Again, like everyone is saying: if you think you need it, fine. It’s your golf game. My driving iron is slightly a one trick pony as well. However, you would probably do better by learning how to chip. Chipping with other clubs isn’t much hard to do than with a chipper. 

You definitely shouldnt be confident on that lol.  You have no idea what the loft of my gap wedge is lol...

My gap wedge is 52 degrees an I hit it anywhere from 105 yards to 120 yards depending if I'm hitting into the wind or not.  My 58 degree is my 45 to 105 yard club.

Also, once you get above 225 from the deck it's all a crap shoot anyway...Like I said, last week I took an easy swing with my 9 wood off the deck and it went 245 yards..the ball was flying way far last week though...

Anyway...

2 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Wait, I thought you “literally” can hit it from 190-225? 🤔

Wait what?  Do you think you got me or something?!  Go back and look again at what you were arguing... You argued that that I likely had a huge gap between my 9 wood and mini driver....I piinted out that isn't the case and that I MEANT to lay up from 245 out and took an easy swing with my 9 wood but it wound up in the greenside bunker 245 yards out...  All that proves is that there isnt a huge gap between my 9 wood and my mini driver.  I never said I hit my mini 300 yards off the deck!?!?!  I seriously have no idea what youbare trying to get at...

17 minutes ago, MattM said:

You have no idea what the loft of my gap wedge is lol...

It’s not hard to speculate as to the loft of a gap wedge. Generally, we’re looking at 50-52*. 

Also, once you get above 225 from the deck it's all a crap shoot anyway...

Meh, not really. As far as hitting it by the pin, sure. But not in terms of getting at least a nGIR. Safely advancing your ball from long distance is a very important skill, which is why keeping more clubs with more versatility than a chipper is important.

Having more clubs at the long end of the bag helps you get those nGIR’s and have more full shots in to avoid partial shots. I’ve said this many times on this site: Id rather have more “long clubs” than wedges because wedges are easier to finesse and retain more spin. Finessing long clubs is more difficult unless you’re playing a lot of curve. Moreover, when you finesse a long club, the peak height drops, the spin drops, it is more difficult to control your carry, and it is more difficult to hold the green when the foregoing occur. No so with a wedge. 

Like I said, last week I took an easy swing with my 9 wood off the deck and it went 245 yards..the ball was flying way far last week though...

Maybe you’re a high speed player, if so, that’s awesome, and perhaps you can hit a 9w that far. However, your reliability is in question given several conflicting statements:

— you say you “literally” hit your 9w anywhere from 190-225. 

— you say you took an easy swing, the ball was flying further, and hit your 9w 245. 

— despite the seeming Tour quality speed and ability you appear to possess, you carry a hybrid wedge/chipper. 

So either, 1) you really do hit the ball a long way and absolutely suck around the greens, or, 2) well…you know, some exaggeration is at play here. 

Regardless, a chipper may be useful, but it is not worth taking the spot of another, more versatile club because you only need to be reasonable around the greens. No need to have a top class short game to chip with other clubs to get the same result. Nonetheless, if you want a chipper in your bag, then by all means do you and have fun. Golf is a fun game, so get out and enjoy it. 

Edited by ncates00

Huh...very strange but you do you...For me, I never hit my 5 wood better than my 9 so it was a useless club in my bag (literally never used it).  Why would I keep a club like that?  

Also, I'm anything but tour quality swing speed.  Any normal open minded amateur should know that it would be easier to hit a 9 wood than a 5 or 3 wood because its easier to get it up in the air.  

If You want to argue by all means continue.  I dont know how good you are but you do you. Btw, if its not hard to speculqte about the loft of a gap wedge then ypu should have known I didn't have a distance gap between my gap wedge and 56 degree, yet you were so confident of that.

Also, no I definitely dont lie about my distances....im on gamegolf and I went through swing issues last year which caused me to have to change swing and change irons and I play to about a 13 handicap right now.  No idea why I'm even giving that information because you seem kind of poumpous and would go out of your way to judge anyway (that's just how youve come off in this thread if you aren't this must just be a bad first impression).

(edited)
2 hours ago, MattM said:

I have a Cleveland smart sole C and I never get people saying these are one trick ponies.  I use mine when under a tree from about 130 in.  Its the perfect club to hit low laser beams when you have no room.

Interesting. Mine is Ben Sayers, hence me referencing lofted putters in the title of the thread (rather than calling them chippers). Ben Sayers XF Pro Chipper is built like a putter, aware it's called a chipper though. I can see the Cleveland smart sole 4 chipper is built like an iron/wedge, if that's the one you're using. 

I didn't consider using it for punch shots, suppose that could be an idea if I get into trouble under a tree/bush - but have a decent enough lie to use it.

I will request a title change to Putters/Chippers (can't do it myself anymore - edit feature no longer available on the original post) - so the title is up to the mods/admins now.

Edited by Jack50

2 minutes ago, Jack50 said:

Interesting. Mine is Ben Sayers, hence me referencing lofted putters in the title of the thread (rather than calling them chippers). Ben Sayers XF Pro Chipper is built like a putter, aware it's called a chipper though. I can see the Cleveland smart sole 4 chipper is built like an iron/wedge, if that's the one you're using. 

I didn't consider using it for punch shots, suppose that could be an idea if I get into trouble under a tree/bush - but have a decent enough lie to use it.

Yep it's definitely useful for that and also why Cleveland calls them utility wedges.

49 minutes ago, MattM said:

Also, I'm anything but tour quality swing speed.

You claim to hit a 9w up to 225 and even 245. That would require Tour quality speed. I am in the 150’s mph ball speed with my driver and mid to high 140’s mph with my 3w. Not fast, but certainly not slow. My 3w flies 225-235. Tour players, on the other hand, average 152 with their 5w and average carry of 230. 

So, yes, you are claiming Tour quality speed even if you aren’t doing so expressly. 

53 minutes ago, MattM said:

Any normal open minded amateur should know that it would be easier to hit a 9 wood than a 5 or 3 wood because its easier to get it up in the air.

This is a strawman. I never argued to the contrary. However, just because something is easier to get in the air doesn’t mean it is per se easier to hit. That’s where fitting comes into play and getting the right loft to match your swing, launch characteristics, and ball speed that you produce. 

If indeed you have the ability to hit a 9w, again a a freaking 9w, as far or further than an average Tour player, you shouldn’t have any trouble hitting a 5w. You even carry a mini driver, dude. And you shouldn’t need a chipper (the whole point I’m making here), unless you completely suck. 

58 minutes ago, MattM said:

and 56 degree

You said above that you carry a gap wedge, 58, and 62. I went off the information you gave. Perhaps it was a typo. No mention of a 56 any where here:

1 hour ago, ncates00 said:

Lol...those are always weird statements...Im not sacrificing any club!  I have a driver, mini driver (my 3wood), 9 wood, 5iron through gap wedge, 58 degree, 62 degree, hybrid wedge and putter.  I have no real gaps and didnt need to "sacrifice" a club.

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Also, no I definitely dont lie about my distances

I didn’t say you are lying, but I do find it hard to believe that you hit the ball as far as you claim. Especially when you state that you don’t have Tour quality speed, when mathematically speaking, you would require such speed to hit these distances. 

1 hour ago, MattM said:

because you seem kind of poumpous and would go out of your way to judge anyway

If your definition of pompous is merely pushing back on your statements when they seem off, then I guess I am “pompous.” Try not to be so defensive when engaged in conversation and challenged on your ideas. Not everyone you meet in life is a “yes man” and blindly believes what you say, especially when you make contradictory statements. 

1 hour ago, MattM said:

I seriously have no idea what youbare trying to get at...

You don’t need a chipper. Play one if you want though. You say you are a 13 HC. You have implied that you have Tour quality speed because you have stated that you “literally” can hit your 9w 190-225 and have hit it up to 245. A 13 can still have Tour quality speed because they can hit the ball way offline as the reason why they are a 13. As stated above, average Tour players average 230 with their 5w. Therefore, it appears that you have Tour quality speed. That’s awesome. While speed and short game are certainly two totally different things, if you possess the ability to hit the ball as far as you do, then you certainly have enough ability to chip the ball reasonably well. Therefore, you don’t need a chipper. That has been my point the whole time that you have apparently missed. 

76A1C04E-B076-4FEB-9832-C96171BDFF9F.png

Yes typo.  My gap is 52 my sand is 58 and my lob is 62.

I don't know what to tell you man...my game golf name is MattM.  

My typical driver M4 7.5 degree is typical 262 yards.

Typical 9 wood is 200 

Typical mini driver is 229

If I want to hit my driver further I do...if I want to hit the mini further I do if I want to hit the 9 wood further I do. 

Sorry if that makes you feel bad about yourself.... 

Also...im pretty sure I said that I like to use my utility wedge from 130 in when under trees etc.. I'm usually not using it that much to traditionally chip it..

Edited by MattM

1 minute ago, MattM said:

Sorry if that makes you feel bad about yourself..

Nothing you say makes me feel bad. 

I just call bull shit when I see it. 

Carry on with your chipper. I’m done here. 

4 hours ago, Jack50 said:

Pros (and amateurs playing an the top level) have amazing short games already with a range of clubs. I was talking about people without a top class short game. In particular those bad at chipping around the green. Would love to know the percentage of golfers that carry one. I’m sure plenty of high handicappers in particular would benefit by carrying one.

I don't see it (chippers) even at the high school level. Usage has got to be in the low single digits, if that. High handicappers would benefit more by just using an 8 iron anytime they think they need a chipper. Problem is that many new players use the wrong club. Just yesterday, playing with a guy, on both first and second greens he hit lob wedge from the fringe, one went 6 feet, and the other sailed across the green. He's a friend, and I'm a better golfer, so told him to humor me, and from #3 forward, use a 8 iron anytime you're on the fringe like that. That probably saved him 6 shots over the course of the round and was a club he already owns.  Who knows, right?

Needless to say, much much better. Point is that many golfers use the wrong club near the green, and instead of buying and carrying a chipper, they'd be equally well served by just sticking to (say) an 8 iron for those sorts of shots. Especially if they want to improve over time.

So all I was looking for was some sort of quantification or evidence. I guess there isn't any.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

• DaveP043 changed the title to Lofted Putters/Chippers

Well that certainly escalated unexpectedly...

I have a friend who plays with a chipper/lofted putter. He uses it from the fringe or light rough surrounding green. I think his thought for keeping it in his bag is that there is more margin for error when he uses that club with a putting motion, rather than trying to chip/pitch with a wedge or iron. He only plays 3-4 times a year, so he's not the type of player to spend a lot of time improving chipping/pitching technique. It works for him, which is really all that matters.

I also don't think he cares that the chipper might be taking a slot in his bag away from another club.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

@MattM and @ncates00,

Knock off the pissing contest. The thread is about chippers.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

For the past 10 years I've played at courses where bump and run is an occasional thing.   I certainly think if it's something that people think will help in the short term that it's good to use, but it's not a long term solution for people who could use another club because they are near the limit.   However, if you are in any way serious about the game, figure out to how use your other clubs.

Ive played with people who happily have 9 clubs in their bag and that's all they need...and some with 17 and they don't keep a handicap.   Both viable scenarios to throw in a chipper....

—Adam

24 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

@MattM and @ncates00,

Knock off the pissing contest. The thread is about chippers.

So I posted about my experience with my Cleveland Smart Sole Chipper yet was attacked by NCates who strongly implied that I was a liar.  Sorry I felt the need to defend myself.  

I have never tried to single a person out and attack them on this website when they simply posted their experience with a club (which is all I did).  

Just now, MattM said:

So I posted about my experience with my Cleveland Smart Sole Chipper yet was attacked by NCates who strongly implied that I was a liar.  Sorry I felt the need to defend myself.  

I have never tried to single a person out and attack them on this website when they simply posted their experience with a club (which is all I did).  

Cool. Move on please.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!