IGNORED

2021 (2020) Ryder Cup

jmanbooyaa
Note: This thread is 837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2021 Ryder Cup  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 2021 Ryder Cup?

• Europe
    • U.S.A.
    • Tied (Europe Retains)

On 9/20/2021 at 5:22 PM, colin007 said:

I totally agree with Brooks, and I don't think he's alone. I always got the impression that Tiger hated the RC and would've skipped it if it was in any way possible considering the optics. I would skip it if I were Brooks.

I think Brooks makes some good points, but again he's so self centered and gives off the vibe that because it's not what he is used to, it's going to throw him or something.  I think where the Euros excel in this competition is that they put the team concept front and center, whereas a lot of the Americans are still struggling with the differences that the Ryder Cup imposes on them for that week.

Brooks tries so hard to present himself as a chill person and sooooooo different from everyone else that he really comes off like a loser.   His points resonate because he himself is aloof and not willing to give it all for a "team" for one week.

I'm not saying that the Americans do anything wrong with how they do things versus the Euros, but the European golf community is more close knit (overall, at least how it's reported) and it's easier for them to gel as a team because of it.  The Americans have to be a team for one week a year, and sometimes it really shows.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I think Brooks makes some good points, but again he's so self centered and gives off the vibe that because it's not what he is used to, it's going to throw him or something.  I think where the Euros excel in this competition is that they put the team concept front and center, whereas a lot of the Americans are still struggling with the differences that the Ryder Cup imposes on them for that week.

Brooks tries so hard to present himself as a chill person and sooooooo different from everyone else that he really comes off like a loser.   His points resonate because he himself is aloof and not willing to give it all for a "team" for one week.

I'm not saying that the Americans do anything wrong with how they do things versus the Euros, but the European golf community is more close knit (overall, at least how it's reported) and it's easier for them to gel as a team because of it.  The Americans have to be a team for one week a year, and sometimes it really shows.

I think Brooks does this in purpose to keep the blame of himself.  

If he plays poorly, he has the "I told you this doesn't work for me" and if he wins and the team loses he says "I did my part." 

More and more the guy looks like douche.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

35 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I'm not saying that the Americans do anything wrong with how they do things versus the Euros, but the European golf community is more close knit

The Americans are just soft, whiney and coddled. The Euros are just regular guys who like to play, party and let the pissy stuff go to the side. As far as close knit, most of these guys live in the US. And I think most of them live in Florida? I dunno, just getting harder to really see it as USA vs Europe. It’s more just these guys vs those guys. I want USA to win but it’s different in that I’ll root for most Euro players over Brooks.

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

20 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

The Americans are just soft, whiney and coddled. The Euros are just regular guys who like to play, party and let the pissy stuff go to the side. As far as close knit, most of these guys live in the US. And I think most of them live in Florida? I dunno, just getting harder to really see it as USA vs Europe. It’s more just these guys vs those guys. I want USA to win but it’s different in that I’ll root for most Euro players over Brooks.

I can't and won't do that but I see your point.. lol.

Vishal S.

5 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I can't and won't do that but I see your point.. lol.

Lol..yeah I completely know what you mean too. As much as I want the US to win I just can’t say I wouldn’t enjoy watching Rory humiliate Brooks if they played. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Brooks besting Rors would be great on Sunday to win the final point for the cup. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

B3374389-BD67-4FAB-8FBD-4240E9B31E2E.jpeg

YOU'RE ALL WORTHLESS AND WEAK! DROP AND GIVE ME 20!

• Funny 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I also think way too much is being made of the American on-paper strength. In a span of of 3 days every single one if the 12 players is capable of getting hot. Time and again team sports has proven to teach individual prima-donnas thumping lessons.

I am glad Stricker is at a helm. He seems to have a level head. Hope he keeps the US group grounded. 

EDIT: IMHO the hotter putting team has the advantage.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

23 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I also think way too much is being made of the American on-paper strength.

Well that’s really all we have to go by at this point. Anything can happen and is certainly seen in golf. Sergio could go 0-5, Scheffler kills it, hell who knows. Aside from Poulter and Garcia, I like the Euro guys. I really want to see Spieth do well. Stricker a bore but I’m sure he’s a good guy from the general Tour and media talk. 

48 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I also think way too much is being made of the American on-paper strength.

I agree. But I also think too much is being made of European "team bonding" and US player individualism. It's not like the US guys don't care once they're on the course, and aren't trying to hit great shots or make putts. At most, maybe the Europeans just spend more time preparing because the RC is a bigger deal to them.

Who do we think will be the 1st pairings going out tomorrow for both teams? We will find out tomorrow evening but curious what everyone thinks. Hoping for is cool also. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

I'm really hoping for a Brooks/Bryson pairing.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

5 hours ago, cipher said:

@Wanzo or anyone else going. Eat a big breakfast before you go, because the food situation there is a mess.  If you want any hot food I hope you like hotdogs, because that was basically all they had, and some of the tents had nothing and not even close to enough staff to service the needs of the people in attendance.  I would hate to see what happens when it gets really busy, Friday-Sunday

thanks!  Did you walk around most of the time or was there a spot you liked hanging out to watch particularly?

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

17 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

thanks!  Did you walk around most of the time or was there a spot you liked hanging out to watch particularly?

We walked around a bit. Watched some tee shots on 10 and then walked up ten and showed the guys I was with 17.  Then we walked over to 13 where I like to watch the tee shots.  It is possibly my favorite hole on the course.  It is a bit of a walk but is a little less busy over there.  Grandstands on 18 would be great as well or #1 tee box grandstand but good luck.  Haha

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

28 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I agree. But I also think too much is being made of European "team bonding" and US player individualism. It's not like the US guys don't care once they're on the course, and aren't trying to hit great shots or make putts. At most, maybe the Europeans just spend more time preparing because the RC is a bigger deal to them.

Shhh... We need a bit of underdog narrative... Ha.

Seriously though, I don't think anyone with sufficient understanding actually thinks that the team bonding aspect is the critical win/lose factor. But it's not hard to miss that the band of paper underdogs routinely over-performs in this format. The President's cup OTOH curiously has a reverse record. While we can't objectively quantify it, there's gotta be enough in team bond aspect to warrant the attention. 

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, cipher said:

Then we walked over to 13 where I like to watch the tee shots.  It is possibly my favorite hole on the course.

Cool video and thanks for the tip.  We were thinking about walking straight down to grandstands near 3/6/7.  Yeah I wouldn’t even bother trying for 1 or 18.  Looks chilly but supposed to warm up some Friday.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

@Wanzo if it gets chilly you can buy one of those $298 hoodies team USA has been wearing. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

I'm living proof that you don't need to be the best ball striker to win a match play competition, won the match play competition against a guy 9 shots better than me. My problem was 4-5 bad holes in a round but I could play the first 9 better than handicap, the other guy basically gave up after 6 holes because I won 4 of the first 6 and he was pissed. Plus the pressure was on him to win as it is on the USA, I'm expecting the Brooks saga to hurt the USA big time and I would of only picked one of them....

Note: This thread is 837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!