IGNORED

Putting with an open stance ?

Note: This thread is 3938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I use an open stance when I have a long putt that I'm just trying to lag close. It gives me a better look at the cup, and it works very well for me.

The problem with an open stance is that your contact has to be perfect otherwise you can push or pull the putt. Not to mention you might actually slice or hook the putt (it's not a noticeable shot shape but it's not rolling that perfect end over end). A way to measure whether your hitting it square is to line up the words or your score line and try to make it go end over end. If it doesn't the words or line won't "line" up. I do this in my living room for practice. The easiest way to do it is line up square.

I feel that golf is a game of results not necessary one of techniques. I personally use an open stance quite successfully. The way I explain why it is successful for me and many others is really simple.

If you were to ask a hundred people to roll a ball with their hand towards the hole naturally almost all of them would use their dominant or throwing hand with their palm facing the hole. The interesting tendency is for them to open their body without thinking to allow their palm to face the target more comfortably.

In almost all precision actions necessary to propel an object at a target humans naturally face the final target in question. In general, putting instruction tends to be very unnatural and counter to human experience. I believe that most "traditional" putting techniques work more from practicing those techniques rather than taking advantage of natural talents already possessed by the individual.

You could after all be a great putter standing on one leg with one eye closed while singing the national anthem if you practiced enough. I just think that people should take advantage of what they would do if they weren't told they were doing it "wrong".

Tom

"Love golf, live golf."

• 1 year later...
When I started playing again last summer I was putting in the normal fashion with my feet and shoulders square to the target line. What I notices was a pronounced gated swing and decided to play around with other grips etc.

I'll respond with a video:

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I have been using the open stance with my putting this season and have almost eliminated 3 putts. No kidding, I used to be tooooo aggressive on the first putts and miss the ones coming back.

I also went back to my old Seemore putter (original FGP bronze), because I was a little shaky with lining putts up. Together, the open stance and Seemore, I feel much more confident and my putts go in more often!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Putting is more personal to the player, and such thats why we see everyone has their own style of putting/stances.

I actually have a closed stance, with my rear (right) foot back. Don't know why, just feels comfortable to me.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I am gonna give this a go this week me thinks

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

I cant do it because my hand bumps my left thigh. I realize my putting stance is not in any way fundamentally correct, but it works well for me.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I cant do it because my hand bumps my left thigh. I realize my putting stance is not in any way fundamentally correct, but it works well for me.

Sir, an open stance is where the front foot is farther back than the back foot. Therefore, your hand would not bump your left thigh (assuming you are right handed). You have a misconception about stance terminology.

• 3 years later...

Last year I had to give a lot of putting lessons as our varsity team had 7 golfers join that have never played before. I always show the "traditional" putting method first but when watching them putt some it worked for and others you could tell just weren't comfortable. A couple of them I switch to an open stance and you could just see the difference in their stroke. Try it, if it works for you and you feel confident with it use it. It's all about the confidence and ability to repeat the stroke. If that's what works for you go with it!

• 4 months later...
I've tried every type of putter but i've always felt best with a heel blade putter and now with a slight open stance there's no going back to anything in the past. I'm fat lol so it helps give me room to follow through smoothly.

Note: This thread is 3938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!