IGNORED

Putting with an open stance ?

Note:Β This thread is 3937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

When I started playing again last summer I was putting in the normal fashion with my feet and shoulders square to the target line. What I notices was a pronounced gated swing and decided to play around with other grips etc.

While putting in the office one day after a lesson I had on chipping I started to putt with an open (chipping) type stance. Feet 20 or 30 degree's to the left of my target line, ball off my right toe, shoulders parallel with the target line, eyes directly over the target line but slightly behind the putter and a standard grip.

To my surprise I no longer had the gated swing path just a nice straight back and straight through putting stroke. I could also see the line much clearer in my mind with my eyes slightly behind the putter.

I was rolling the ball much better and have been putting this way for the last 4 outings. My 3 putts are down to 2 or 3 on 18 holes instead of 8 or 9.

Is this totally crazy? or OK? I have Dave Pelze putting bible and it goes against his ideas.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The way I see it is this: There is the "best way" to putt (fundamentally perfect) and there is your best way. Sometimes you need to sacrifice the "best way" if it doesn't work for you. You should try to be as fundamentally sound as possible while still maintaining a stroke that is comfortable to you. Your stroke can't be criticized if it puts the ball in the hole.

I find it ironic that I made the same change today to some degree. Before, my eyes were right over the ball. Today, I moved my head back just barely so that my left eye was over the ball. Worked wonders.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

that is totally crazy! just messin man, many golfers have open putting stances. youre not the only one. i have a slightly open putting stance and it helped me with my putting.

Like Crafty said, with putting, find what works for you, its the little things that make a difference in putting.

Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

When I started playing again last summer I was putting in the normal fashion with my feet and shoulders square to the target line. What I notices was a pronounced gated swing and decided to play around with other grips etc.

I started putting with an open stance about 6 months ago and have really improved. I used to do the square thing but really never liked it.... also felt like I was going to tip over sometimes.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I will sometimes putt open-stanced when I face a slick downhill slider and I need to see the line. I call it a "feel" putt. You only need to get the ball started. When it comes to a full stroke putt you need to be square. It rolls best.

Β 

To my surprise I no longer had the gated swing path just a nice straight back and straight through putting stroke. I could also see the line much clearer in my mind with my eyes slightly behind the putter.

In Dave Pelz defense when he refers to stance alignment in his books (and tv clips) he says an open stance is acceptable, and he makes references to positive aspects of it. He feels that sometimes people who start putting with an open stance can become lazy in the rest of their alignment and start aiming the other parts of the body (hips in particular) open as well. If you start aligning the rest of your body (hips and shoulders) open you'll swing along a path that cuts across the ball, or your move large sections of your body and be inconsistent. Those are possible reasons to be careful if you choose to use an open stance.

There have been (and still are) good tour pros that putt with an open stance (Jack Nicklaus putted with an open stance for the same reasons you mentioned). Ralph Mann and the Model Golf/Compusport company apparently found that the majority of the pros they studied apparently putted with open stances.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

I totally agree with what some people say. what ever works for you and what you feel comfortable with. eg: my brother is so open, his shoulders are almost at 45 degree angle to his line. weird. haha
Driver:Β CallawayΒ Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex)Β 3 Wood:Β CallawayΒ Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex).Β 2 Hybrid:Β AdamsΒ A4 Tech 17*Β (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex).Β 3 and 4 Hybrid:Β AdamsΒ Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons:Β Tour EdgeΒ Exotics...

Great.... I never noticed anyone else with an open stance.

If I try to stay square to the putting line I have this strange loop in my back swing. Like Jim Furik (sp) at the top of his swing but with a putter! ;)

With the open stance everything is smooth and straight.

If it worked for Jack then it is good enough for me!

BTW...
I was putting with an original B60 Ping my dad had. I went out and picked up a YES Marylyne and really like it. The B60 would skip the ball on short putts, the long putts (harder stroke) would roll fine.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Great.... I never noticed anyone else with an open stance.

I had an original Ping B60 and absolutely loved it.

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Open stances are fine--just remember that it doesnt matter where you aim your body--its where the clubface tells the ball to go that really matters

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

• Administrator
Open stances are fine--just remember that it doesnt matter where you aim your body--its where the clubface tells the ball to go that really matters

That's not true, or is at best a half-truth. Most people swing along their body line, and swing path is the other determining factor in where the ball goes.

Please begin to offer more insight or stop posting, r7. This schtick is getting old.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I would say the most of the great putters put with a slightly shut stance as this promotes the right ball roll..topspin over and over. ala Faldo, Olazabal, Tiger and Co...

There arent many fabulous putters who have obviously open stances.

The best way to putt is to 'draw' the ball on the green. An open stance just promotes a cut across the ball and not good roll.

other factors deciding whether to open or close the stance depends on whether right eye or left eye is dominant (determined by looking straight ahead and do you see left side of nose or right side of nose without adjusting or manipulating vision). some players with extreme right eye dominance like to open stance as this brings right eye into greater visual observation of target line (for what is righty golfer) ahead of putter to stay on track.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

i have a 8' long putting mat at home. i purposely lined up myself 45 deg open from the target line and swing my putter across my body line but with club face square. the ball still travel pretty straight and went into the hole. so club face has bigger effect than the swing path.

i hate to say this but r7 said something that's right...

Launcher 460 10.5Β° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5Β° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20Β°, 23Β° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

i have a 8' long putting mat at home. i purposely lined up myself 45 deg open from the target line and swing my putter across my body line but with club face square. the ball still travel pretty straight and went into the hole. so club face has bigger effect than the swing path.

Yes absolutely..when the stroke is shorter you have the ability to move your body around and get away with it. Heres a great article about the open stance in putting....it also shows how most tour pros actually have the open stance...

http://www.usgtf.com/articles/open-stance.html Best Wishes

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

In the past, I've used an open stance while putting on putts inside 4 ft. but anything longer I would use a "normal" stance. I think it's because my intent on the shorter ones was to make 'em (obviously) and the longer ones was just to get it "close". I had less of the yips with the open stance although I'm not sure what made me try it.....I guess from just walking up to knock in a short 3 putt that I was pissed about.

Anyway, I'm going to look into the open stance (not quite 45Β° but probably 10Β°-15Β°) this season on the longer putts. I lose my line so badly with the conventional stance. Putting is one (of many) areas that I need to improve so I am going to try that as well as a few other things.

I used to putt with an open stance, I can see the line better, I noticed that on long puts under pressure I would tend to get my shoulders open and hit the ball off line. If I have a period where I am not seeing the line well I still will open my stance up, but I really try to make sure my shoulders remain aligned correctly. I always return to a more standard method after awhile, just fewer variables easier to be consistent.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I have found a slightly open stance ( kind-of Ray Floyd-like) makes it easier to start the ball on-line. With a square stance I always felt kind-a jambed up.

Just like when hitting any other club it helps you swing on line when you open your body through impact. For whatever reason it is easier for me to rock my shoulders in the correct direction with an open stance.

Putting stance is highly variable and personal. Look at Jack, Arnie, Baird, Ray Floyd, Chi Chi, Thorpe. all unique. All effective.

SubPar

Note:Β This thread is 3937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!