IGNORED

Conceded Putt Blown Into the Hole

iacas
Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ball Blown Into Hole After Concession  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is your answer to the question in the first post?

• A scores a 3 for the hole.
    • A scores a 4 for the hole.
    • A scores something else for the hole.

• Administrator
Just now, DFW75 said:

I was wondering about this. Since the player cannot turn down a concession - what protects the player from an opponent declaring a concession early? I know that the concession isn't awarded until the ball comes to rest - so I'd assume then that the rules governing when a ball is at rest would take precedence over the concession to make sure the ball is at rest before awarding a concession? 

Yeah.

On 9/10/2021 at 7:56 PM, iacas said:

A hits a birdie putt that stops several inches from the hole.

The ball was at rest in this case. 😄

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@iacas, is this a 3 or a 4 in stroke play? Someone mentioned earlier about "forces of nature" and I was wondering if that is in effect here. I just rewatched the bird situation from the 98 players on YT, and the ruling was "ball moved by an outside agency" and the ball should be replaced as near as can be. If this isn't that, what makes it different? If the ball came to rest, and wasn't overhanging, would the stroke be completed, or is there something else going on when it comes to stroke play?

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

@iacas, is this a 3 or a 4 in stroke play?

It's a three, unless he marked it and replaced it and then it blew in (which didn't happen in the scenario I gave).

Someone mentioned earlier about "forces of nature" and I was wondering if that is in effect here.

Did you look up some definitions in the Rules of Golf?

I'd look up "outside influence" and "natural forces" (those are just the same link FWIW).

If this isn't that, what makes it different? If the ball came to rest, and wasn't overhanging, would the stroke be completed, or is there something else going on when it comes to stroke play?

I'd recommend you look up the definitions.

Then look at Rule 9 - Ball at Rest Moved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas, thanks. I suppose the answer to my question is that one stroke ends when the next one is taken, or the ball is marked. Other than that, it is still a "live ball" and while natural forces may move it, animals (including humans) may not, and if so then it is replaced.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

7 hours ago, DFW75 said:

I was wondering about this. Since the player cannot turn down a concession - what protects the player from an opponent declaring a concession early? I know that the concession isn't awarded until the ball comes to rest - so I'd assume then that the rules governing when a ball is at rest would take precedence over the concession to make sure the ball is at rest before awarding a concession? 

I am not 100% certain I understand what you mean but the Rules say that the next stroke may be conceded. So, if a ball is moving and the opponent concedes the next stroke it will indeed be the NEXT stroke after the ball in motion stops and is at rest. Unless the ball is holed in which case the concession does not mean anything.

So if a player is putting for a birdie and while his ball is in motion his opponent concedes the next stroke and the birdie putt is not holed the player's score for the hole is par.

Edited by Ruler

I wish to add to by previous post a rare scenario.

Player X putts for 3 and opponent Z concedes X's next stroke while X's ball is in motion. If that ball stops overhanging the hole there are still those 10 seconds for X to wait whether his ball falls into hole. If it does, the concession is void and X's score for the hole is 3.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Ruler said:

I wish to add to by previous post a rare scenario.

Player X putts for 3 and opponent Z concedes X's next stroke while X's ball is in motion. If that ball stops overhanging the hole there are still those 10 seconds for X to wait whether his ball falls into hole. If it does, the concession is void and X's score for the hole is 3.

We know. 🙂 Just happened at the Solheim Cup.

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!