IGNORED

Hitting to a Spot vs. Hitting as Far as You Can

1 hour ago, ajl said:

On the course today, but only played nine holes.  Shot a 44, so a good round for me. Missed most of my fairways, but didn’t matter much 2nd shot was normally just trying to get to 30y or so.

Never went for the green when beyond 140, except one hole where there wasn’t much danger. Throughout the round, everything was safe. I probably blew 1 putt, and 1 chip onto the green.  But never felt oh dear, this round might go south.  By the 3rd or 4th hole, I knew I’d beat bogey golf. 

But here is the thing: i’ve never been more bored playing golf in my life!!  It was just plain boring.  I’m sure if I go out with my friends, who all struggle to break 90, I’d beat them every time.  But, I wouldn’t be having any fun :-)  

So, this seems like a safe way of playing, but it does not allow for a real breakthrough round of phenomenal scores.  At the end of the day, it is a lot more fun to go for the green. I probably need to work on getting out of green side bunkers so I won’t be so worried about hitting into them. 

thanks for the advice, everyone. 

It may be more fun to go for the green on the course, but it's much more fun dipping into your friends pockets after the round. With golf being a game of good misses, I'll play boring golf all day long. Risk vs reward, just like everything else in life.