IGNORED

Your First Big Golf Purchase?

HankBlue
Note: This thread is 766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Three months into my golf journey... my new driver 😍

The pro said this is the "right driver for my swing."  And it's been tuned.

Can't wait to get out on the range... so, naturally, it's raining. 😕

IMG_E4556.JPG

What was your first "big purchase" in your golf life?

Edited by HankBlue
  • Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Your First Big Golf Purchase?

1985 - Our Ford Mustang was stolen out of our apartment parking lot.  A day later I realized my and my wife's golf bags were in the trunk.  Usually my bag would have been in my car and my wife's in the closet but we had played together that weekend.

Off to the golf shop I went and purchased two full sets of clubs, bags, balls, shoes, etc.  The best part was since we had a combined HO/Auto policy, only the $100 automobile comprehensive deductible applied so all the golf equipment was "free".

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

1985 - Our Ford Mustang was stolen out of our apartment parking lot.  A day later I realized my and my wife's golf bags were in the trunk.  Usually my bag would have been in my car and my wife's in the closet but we had played together that weekend.

Off to the golf shop I went and purchased two full sets of clubs, bags, balls, shoes, etc.  The best part was since we had a combined HO/Auto policy, only the $100 automobile comprehensive deductible applied so all the golf equipment was "free".

That's friggin' awesome! 😃

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

Around 1985 or so I saved all my $ from working at Burger King and telemarketing jobs while in high school to by a set of stiff shaft Hogan woods. What a different world it was back then in terms of shopping and selection. I have no idea how I settled on those. Golf Digest article? Pro shop?

• Like 1

-Chris Brooks

I've blogged about my wanderings since 2003. I love roaming throughout the USA looking for remote public golf courses to play.

in 1994 I saved and sold several items to purchase my first new set of irons, Ping Zing 2 (3-PW). I was working 3 jobs including one at a golf course so I got PUD, but was still a big purchase. Actually had to sell my old clubs my dad gave me to afford them, so I had to go about 3 weeks playing my buddies 1971 Hogan blades. 

I have never had to pay full price for a piece of golf equipment thank goodness.

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

At that point in my life not really much into golf and some friends signed me up to a 3 day golf camp at a nice resort. Don't really remember how much it cost, but obviously not cheap.

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Set of brand spanking new Ping G5’s (obviously years ago) - I instantly ran faster and jumped higher

• Funny 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

My first purchase was around 25 when I had started working and bought a full set of Dunlop irons (3-SW) which were a rip on a set Ernie Els used.  Still have the set 20 years later and my dad now uses it after I upgraded to my current set of Taylor Made RAC OS irons

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

When I started playing 'properly', I decided my old passed down set (from my uncle who had likely used them for 10-15 years with minimum 1 round a week) has seen enough action so went and bought a new bag, iron set, driver, hybrid, putter, shoes and a dozen pro v1's.

• Like 1

Rob - London, England

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 Driver

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 3 Hybrid

:nike: VRS Forged Irons

:titleist: Pro V1

My first big purchase was a brand new, at the time, Nike steel driver with a steel shaft. I think it was well under 460cc, maybe around 270-300 or something. It was back when I first started around 00-04-ish. I had a set of beat up northwestern(?) irons handed down and wanted a “cool” big, driver and got that out of a Golfsmith or tgw magazine. It looked awesome, to me. I think it came with a set of Nike TW tour accuracy balls and a bobble head, IIRC

• Like 1

The first big purchase that I did for golf, as in my parents didn’t buy me it, was a set of Callaway Apex Pro Irons in 2012. It was the summer after graduating college. 

• Like 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Ping eye 2 black dot irons. What a day. 

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

When I started playing golf, all my clubs were hand-me-downs from a friend. My first big purchase was back in the early 2000s, I bought a set of Cleveland 588 BeCu wedges. I think they were $99 each.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Big is a relative thing for me.

Dumped $300 on a Callaway Rogue driver last year. That's my first actual new club purchase ever.

It's real nice when I actually hit the ball off the sweet spot, but it can't overcome operator error.  

• Like 1

Just bought a set of t100  which is definitely my biggest golf purchase ever.  Pretty happy with them so far.  Amazing how forgiving a club that looks like a blade can be these days.  

• Like 2

Matt J

First set of new irons I bought myself after 3 or 4 sets of used stuff., somewhere in the mid 80's. A set of Wilson Staff Goosenecks. They were great  but for the weird way the shaft was connected to the head, I bent a couple shafts right at the hosel without abusing them. ( did swing very, very fast back then). I moved on to a set of Mizuno Grads, then a set of Yonex ADX Tours around 1992 (not super ADX's). The Yonexs' are still on the rack, 3-10 iron, PW SW. Best feeling clubs I ever had, and the trajectory fit my game to a tee. Kid learned how to golf hitting them, he has since moved on to some newer Mizzy MP's. (and he can only say he wanted to hit clubs that weren't 20 yrs older than him. LOL)

Edited by Esox
  • Funny 1

• 4 months later...

Was years ago. All I had before this was a set of clubs my dad bought at a garage sale for $7 (including bag), and then later my dad gave me his old set when he got new ones. Eventually I went and bought a Taylormade r7 (that’s got to be what, 15 years ago at least). 

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!