IGNORED

The Worst Person With Whom You've Ever Been Paired…

ChetlovesMer

38 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

That's unbelievable.

Someone says that to me, I say "What a shame. That really sucks for you".

The real shame is that I just shrugged and went "ok" and had no problem with them using it.   But they kept getting in the way of my game that I hated most of the round.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/5/2021 at 11:49 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

Okay, I wanted to name this thread "Biggest D-Bag You've Ever Been Paired Up With". 

I made an online tee-time for as early as I could find this morning. As it turns out there were 4 singles, including me, who all made early morning tee-times. The course paired us up. The guy in my cart was fine, but one of the other two guys was a total D-bag. He was someplace between 40 and 50 years old, hits a low fade/slice on every shot; Consistent if not powerful. That's not what made him a d-bag.

First hole is a relatively straight forward maybe 340 yard par 4, driving range on the right, OB left. The young guy (25ish?) who I had in my cart steps up and drills his drive to into the green side bunker. Now the tees were up, so it was playing short, and the guy caught the downhill slop perfectly, but still a really good drive. The rest of us say "Great drive." or "Nice shot." or what ever. This guy says (and sadly I think he believes it) "Anyone can hit a 300 yard drive. The real skill in golf is putting." I laughed because I thought he was kidding. He wasn't. It was just weird. Especially since the guy hit his first drive like 180 yards into the driving range on the right and they took "a breakfast ball" and would have done the same thing except for a tree kicked him back into play near the cart path. 

That's where it began and it didn't stop. Every hole, almost every shot he had to tell you why your shot was lucky and his was unlucky. Then he insisted on adding up and reading off the scores at the turn. BTW - I shot 44 on the front and he shot 43. Argh!!!

In addition he decided that everyone needed his coaching after every shot that wasn't exactly perfect. He started every other sentence with "You wanna..." As in "You wanna get your hands in front of the ball on that shot..." Or "You wanna swing like you're throwing a bowling ball to right field...." 

I almost pissed myself laughing when the guy in my cart turns to me as we are rolling up hole 15 and goes "Man, that guy's a real douchebag, isn't he?" "Yes, yes, he is." 

The kicker for me came on hole 17. It's a short par 3, 125 yards, crowned green, guarded by a big deep bunker in front-right. I hit fat P-wedge that didn't quite have enough to make it over the bunker. He tugged a what-ever to the far lower left of the green. After my shot he goes "You wanna take more club on this hole so you don't end up in that bunker." I said nothing. But then I holed out for a birdie with a great bunker shot. The other two guys are like "Great Shot!" This d-bag's pissed off. He starts ranting about how my shot wasn't legal and it shouldn't count as a birdie. Here's the thing. In the cart they've put a sign saying something to the effect of We're sorry we don't have staff to keep up the bunkers like we normally would. Feel free to pick your ball out of the bunker, rake the bunker and replace your ball. Which all of us have been doing the entire round. 

When I say he was pissed I mean he was pissed. He's literally stamping his feet mad. Then he goes on to blame me for his three-putt which he made after my hole out. He's ranting a bitching and going on about 2-shot penalties and what ever. I told him "Look, there's a sign in the cart. But write down what ever you want on the card. I'm just out here working on my game." There was no money on the line. We weren't playing against each other. I literally only met this guy on the first tee. I'm like "Look I don't care. Give me a two shot penalty." Then he says "Fine! I'll write down a 2 if you're going to be that way about it." I'm thinking "What way?" 

The entire 18th hole he won't let it go. He keeps talking about my illegal birdie. I'm thinking "What does he care?" 

After the 18th, he grabs his bag off the cart, stomps off and leaves. Doesn't shake any of our hands or tip his cap, or anything. The guy he was riding with just shrugs. 

The three of us agreed, biggest d-bag any of us had ever played with. 

The good news is after my 44 on the front, I shot a 1 over 37 on the back. Which is the best 9 hole score I've made in probably 10 years or so. ... That is if you count the bunker shot on 17. ???

If you weren't a group and weren't playing against each other, then why was he even keeping your score? When I play as a single I have never had someone keep my score for me. I either keep it in my head or on the app on my phone I use for stats. It's just weird that anyone would be that interested in the score of someone they didn't even know. I have played as a single the last two days in a row, I have no idea what any of them shot, nor do I care.

To answer the question, I play with good folks 99% of the time. I can't remember ever playing with someone that was a jackass. Worst guy I ever played with was years ago in a tournament, he just was irritating because he blamed every bad shot on the course or a bird chirping, or an ant farting. It was ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I live in fear of being "that guy" for the groups I am paired with. I have always been a motor mouth with an unending line of bad jokes. I try hard to be a fun person to golf with and most people find me so...I have repeatedly had people share contacts so we could golf together again. But it certainly doesn't mean I am everyones cup of tea...

I have several quirks I could see making me "that guy" for other groups.

For example; despite wearing prescription glasses, I have a hard time seeing the ball sometimes and often need help seeing the line my ball was on. Since my distances are wildly inconsistent (I recently thought I had pured an 8i back to back holes...one went 128 and the other 191 yards....that is a pretty wide spread to guess where your ball went) and my direction can be anything from dead pull to a monster slice depending on the day...that can make a huge difference.

My long time partners have similar vision issues so we have taken to the habit of standing well behind the guy teeing off but in line with it. I have never noticed them but it helps when they see the ball line and I do same for them...I can see that annoying some people. 

I try hard to do everything quick and courteous, but I also very seldom mark my ball on the green...only if it is in someones line, if there is visible dirt on the ball, or if someone asks it. 

I usually mention that to people before the round (along with the admission that because of my back issues i try to bend down as rarely as possible) and will mark as needed. Everyone says they are cool...but that might be them being courteous.

So to someone who is not me...you get paired up with a random who needs help finding their wildly inconsistent ball, stands behind them on the tee box, talks incessantly, doesn't mark his ball on the green and shoots between and 85 and 105 depending on the game. I can easily see me being "that guy" to someone, have tried to change but it is me at this point

so to anyone who has been inflicted with my presence and had it adversely affect their game...i do sincerely apologize.

I just want to hit some balls and have fun. I don't want to make it bad for my partners

2 hours ago, darthweasel said:

I live in fear of being "that guy" for the groups I am paired with. I have always been a motor mouth with an unending line of bad jokes. I try hard to be a fun person to golf with and most people find me so...I have repeatedly had people share contacts so we could golf together again. But it certainly doesn't mean I am everyones cup of tea...

I have several quirks I could see making me "that guy" for other groups.

For example; despite wearing prescription glasses, I have a hard time seeing the ball sometimes and often need help seeing the line my ball was on. Since my distances are wildly inconsistent (I recently thought I had pured an 8i back to back holes...one went 128 and the other 191 yards....that is a pretty wide spread to guess where your ball went) and my direction can be anything from dead pull to a monster slice depending on the day...that can make a huge difference.

My long time partners have similar vision issues so we have taken to the habit of standing well behind the guy teeing off but in line with it. I have never noticed them but it helps when they see the ball line and I do same for them...I can see that annoying some people. 

I try hard to do everything quick and courteous, but I also very seldom mark my ball on the green...only if it is in someones line, if there is visible dirt on the ball, or if someone asks it. 

I usually mention that to people before the round (along with the admission that because of my back issues i try to bend down as rarely as possible) and will mark as needed. Everyone says they are cool...but that might be them being courteous.

So to someone who is not me...you get paired up with a random who needs help finding their wildly inconsistent ball, stands behind them on the tee box, talks incessantly, doesn't mark his ball on the green and shoots between and 85 and 105 depending on the game. I can easily see me being "that guy" to someone, have tried to change but it is me at this point

so to anyone who has been inflicted with my presence and had it adversely affect their game...i do sincerely apologize.

I just want to hit some balls and have fun. I don't want to make it bad for my partners

I dunno, but the fact that you made this post makes me think you’re probably not a ‘that guy.’ 🙂

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I've been paired two morons in recent memory that were D-bags:

1) I was paired with two Mexican guys who had just picked up golf (around the time when golf courses reopened in Spring 2020). The two Mexican guys were both covered in tattoos, smoked weed and drank beer, played music, and talked a lot of trash to each other throughout the round, but were perfectly fine guys to golf with (offered beers, asked if music was okay, played at a reasonable pace for beginners, etc.). And frankly, none of this behavior is unusual for local public courses and they weren't doing anything that was disrespectful to other golfers or the course itself. The other guy in the group was a grumpy, older white guy, who must have decided that my views aligned with his (maybe because I am white ), and he made lots of thinly veiled racist comments, like "I didn't expect to be playing with guys from a prison gang" to me when out of earshot of the others (don't think he would have had the balls to say these things to them directly). After awhile I was kind of fed up of hearing it, so I suggested to him he should join a private club if he wants to golf with a specific demographic of people. Eventually I think he realized he wasn't gaining any traction with me by making these comments, and he quieted down.

2) Also after golf courses reopened in Spring 2020, I was playing with a buddy, and we were paired with two young guys (early 20s), who kind of fit the negative stereotype for "frat bros". For the first 12 holes, all was good. Then on the 13th hole one of the guys slices his drive into the tee box for the 9th hole, which is a quite impressive feat. We yelled fore, but the group on the tee didn't hear it or didn't think it was meant for them and the ball almost hits them. So as I am walking up the fairway to my ball, I see across the adjacent fairway and through the tree-line to where the 9th tee box is located, one of the guys in our group is in a pretty intense verbal altercation with with group on the tee that almost got hit. Things settle down and I assume everyone has moved on. So we get to the 18th green, and the other group is on the 13th green which share a cart path and are maybe 30 yards apart. As soon as one of the guy in my group putts out, he runs over to the 13th green and tries to fight one of the guys in the other group. Luckily, the guy in the other group was playing with his girlfriend/wife, who restrained him so there was not a physical altercation, but it was pretty embarrassing to witness.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

It's not always bad. One time we had a guy added to our threesome, I ended up doing a lot of reciprocal business with him, and it was a great mutually advantageous relationship for almost 2 decades till he keeled over at 58 of a widow maker.

Edited by Esox

Noticed this thread and didn't think I had played with anyone that qualified but remembered one. We were playing a scramble and I had been warned he would cheat if given a chance. 130 yard par three with 125 carry and they had all been way in the woods from 165. Didn't hit mine solid and came up short and said so. He claimed that my ball plugged and we should get a drop because they had been watering the green earlier. Since I was online but short we wouldn't let him do it because we didn't find the ball. He wasn't happy and I haven't played with him again. 

Driver - Ping 410+ 12°, Fairway -TM Burner 5W, Hybrid - 3&4 TM Rescue dual, Irons -  Mizuno MX200 5-G, SW - Callaway X Tour, Putter - Odyssey 1W Versa

• 4 months later...

Honestly everyone that I have been randomly paired up with have been great. Some of my friends and their acquaintances are another story. 

One of my friends brought another friend with him. By the time we got past the turn, he is raving that if all he has to do is improve his putting a bit and he could go pro. Guess he totally forgot about the 5 mulligans he had on the front 9 alone. Then on the back, he starts talking smack about how he outdrove me on this hole. He used a driver, I used a 4-iron, and he only out drive me by maybe 10 yards. Now, I don’t exactly pound the ball down the fairway at all, but I it was just ridiculous how much he has to stroke his ego.

On 10/8/2021 at 1:27 PM, Darkfrog said:

1) I was paired with two Mexican guys who had just picked up golf (around the time when golf courses reopened in Spring 2020). The two Mexican guys were both covered in tattoos, smoked weed and drank beer, played music, and talked a lot of trash to each other throughout the round, but were perfectly fine guys to golf with (offered beers, asked if music was okay, played at a reasonable pace for beginners, etc.). And frankly, none of this behavior is unusual for local public courses and they weren't doing anything that was disrespectful to other golfers or the course itself. The other guy in the group was a grumpy, older white guy, who must have decided that my views aligned with his (maybe because I am white ), and he made lots of thinly veiled racist comments, like "I didn't expect to be playing with guys from a prison gang" to me when out of earshot of the others (don't think he would have had the balls to say these things to them directly). After awhile I was kind of fed up of hearing it, so I suggested to him he should join a private club if he wants to golf with a specific demographic of people. Eventually I think he realized he wasn't gaining any traction with me by making these comments, and he quieted down.

I've never been paired with a guy like that on the golf course. But I have occasionally had to work with guys like that in "real life". Their act gets old really fast. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Where do I start?  I’ve played with Members and Guests and I would say the Members are worse than the Guests. Not that all Members are all bad, but the behavior of some makes me wonder why they belong to the Club. Not good Ambassadors at all. 

Over time I’ve kept a “mental list” on who to avoid on the tee sheet. The usual suspects are:

1.) The Complainer. It’s nonstop on every hole. Everything is bad about the course conditions. Slow play, that group isn’t good enough to play this course, on and on!

2.) Mr. Never Ready.  Never pulls a club until everyone has hit their tee shot.  Last off the green to the next tee box. It’s like dragging an anchor.

3.) The Talker.  Non-Stop all day. From have you heard this, seen this, done that etc. Talks during everyone’s swing. It just watts you out.

4.) The Rules Guy.  He actually counts the number of clubs in your bag. Need I say more!

And lastly number 5;

The Drinker!   Just how many beers can you put in the bag?  This guy drinks them like water. Just amazing. Of course it hampers his game, sometimes it’s humorous but mostly sad. By the turn he slows down, refills his bag again. Back nine the cigar comes out. Ugh! Not quality cigars either. Putts while smoking.

Ive got a list of ten players or more that I avoid. Their just not good company.

A few years ago, I was playing in an outing that a friend host every year for one of his friends son who had leukemia (sadly the son passed away a couple of years ago).  Three of us signed up to play together and they filled our fourth spot.  There were prizes (small ones) for low gross, low net, closest to the pin, etc.  The three of us were rooting for each other and the stranger.  Not him, every one of our shots he was shouting things like "go in the water", "hit the tree", "go in the bunker", and other such things.  We put up with it for 5 or 6 holes.  Then the unfortunate one who was riding with him told him he could either get out and start walking to the parking lot or he could keep his mouth shut.  The guy acted all offended and said he was just joking around, but he did keep quiet after that.

2 minutes ago, Philo said:

A few years ago, I was playing in an outing that a friend host every year for one of his friends son who had leukemia (sadly the son passed away a couple of years ago).  Three of us signed up to play together and they filled our fourth spot.  There were prizes (small ones) for low gross, low net, closest to the pin, etc.  The three of us were rooting for each other and the stranger.  Not him, every one of our shots he was shouting things like "go in the water", "hit the tree", "go in the bunker", and other such things.  We put up with it for 5 or 6 holes.  Then the unfortunate one who was riding with him told him he could either get out and start walking to the parking lot or he could keep his mouth shut.  The guy acted all offended and said he was just joking around, but he did keep quiet after that.

what a prick

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

While I agree to some degree with most if not all of your points, I find the "trash talker that does not take a hint" the most offensive. I am referring to the guy that thinks golf should be played with a steady stream of insults, bet offers, and one liners designed to throw you off your game. I enjoy the social aspect of golf that includes conversation, so totally shunning and avoiding a person is not my idea of a fun round. Even worse is the guy you have to tell in direct terms to stay away and leave me alone if you can't shut your mouth. 

Guy who consistently gave me the wrong score on certain holes. Then again, I'm sure you have all experienced this. Lucky enough not to have experienced some of the others mentioned in this thread!

The only issue I've had was during my Spark league last season, and I'll preface that by saying that everyone else I played with were really cool.  One pair were d-bags because they cheated.  Two off the tee counted as one, and they had a real problem counting, because there were several instances where they made a seven at best on par fours, and reported it as a par.  The course's bunkers are in terrible shape, so there is a local rule that you can play them as ground under repair.  All of us would pull the ball out of the bunkers and play over them.  They took this as an opportunity to toss their balls onto the green.  The league also has an "inside-the-leather" rule, and these guys would give themselves pretty much anything within six feet of the hole.  When called on it, they got all huffy and tried to say the league is not serious and supposed to be fun, but there are skins awarded for holes, and they wound up winning a bunch of skins.  It got to the point that no one would play with them.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

6 minutes ago, bwdial said:

The only issue I've had was during my Spark league last season, and I'll preface that by saying that everyone else I played with were really cool.  One pair were d-bags because they cheated.  Two off the tee counted as one, and they had a real problem counting, because there were several instances where they made a seven at best on par fours, and reported it as a par.  The course's bunkers are in terrible shape, so there is a local rule that you can play them as ground under repair.  All of us would pull the ball out of the bunkers and play over them.  They took this as an opportunity to toss their balls onto the green.  The league also has an "inside-the-leather" rule, and these guys would give themselves pretty much anything within six feet of the hole.  When called on it, they got all huffy and tried to say the league is not serious and supposed to be fun, but there are skins awarded for holes, and they wound up winning a bunch of skins.  It got to the point that no one would play with them.

You gotta at least pretend to play by the rules.  Sounds like those guys were blatant.  At a minimum they should have refused collecting any skins.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:22 PM, Sandy Lie said:

The Drinker!   Just how many beers can you put in the bag?  This guy drinks them like water. Just amazing. Of course it hampers his game, sometimes it’s humorous but mostly sad. By the turn he slows down, refills his bag again. Back nine the cigar comes out. Ugh! Not quality cigars either. Putts while smoking.

I played with someone, in a tournament, a couple of years ago who got so sloppy he was doing things like putting his arm around my shoulder and saying nonsense, and stumbling around.   I wasn't riding with him, thankfully, but he was one of those guys who would say crazy things when drunk and then press you for answers.   In the end, it was more funny than anything but it was quite a ride the last few holes.   His cart partner had to "help him" getting in/out of the cart the last couple holes.

—Adam