IGNORED

The Worst Person With Whom You've Ever Been Paired…

ChetlovesMer

15 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I even caught him giving a fist pump when our third missed a putt.

Seriously? What a D-bag! 

6c907232-89c2-476c-8f97-60df47c4af5f_text.gif.d582cada74209d19606a450760bb86bc.gif

I'm sure there's a special place in Hell for people who fist pump another person's missed putt. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

I've had a couple doozies from years past.  Generally these days all I get are blatant cheaters and sandbaggers.   Is that progress?  Maybe.

I've been giving cheaters a pass lately. One thing I've learned over the last 2 years is that there are a lot of folks who simply don't know the rules. And I'm talking about simple rules, not subtle rules. So, I've taken it upon myself to help them by calmly informing them of the rules. I've been shocked at how many people really didn't seem to know that OB is a stroke plus distance. Or that you can't ground your club in the sand. (Patrick Reed not withstanding.) 

I have found that most people are thankful that I've tried to help them. There have been a few who I'm pretty sure were actively cheating, but for the most part it's been honest ignorance. Although one dude we played with was simply so drunk I'm pretty sure he didn't know what planet he was on, to say nothing of if you should drop from your knee. He didn't play by the rules but I'm also pretty sure he doesn't remember playing the round. ... Not really sure how that guy made it home... or IF he made it home? 🤔

Recently having posted my BEST EVER 9-hole score, I was looking forward to "completing my scorecard."  I ended up paired with a random stranger his (non-playing) 8 and 3 year old sons -- IT WAS AWFUL!  Constant noise and activity.  In my peripheral vision or directly in my shot line... loud, Loud, LOUD.  Certainly I lost some strokes to the distractions but fought a tough round for a decent score (for me).  SMDH.

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

On 3/1/2022 at 7:31 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

I have a friend of a friend of a friend ... (Did, I get that right? ... Yeah, I think so.) Anyway, he does this all the time. 

He keeps a "best case" kind of score. So, his handicap is what we call a vanity-cap. 

Then every year at the tournament we play he laments his low handicap. 

My father keeps score based on what he should have had. For instance you duff a chip and get a bogie, that "should have been par". You miss an easy put "should have been par" . Double bogie, should have been a bogie.  so he cards a lot of pars and a few bogies.
No such thing as a double.  Once, he loudly declared at the bar after a round "if I ever have an 8, I would shoot myself". This is of course after I carded 2 8's (the trees kept getting in the way of perfectly good golf shots).

On 9/10/2022 at 6:04 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

I've been giving cheaters a pass lately. One thing I've learned over the last 2 years is that there are a lot of folks who simply don't know the rules. And I'm talking about simple rules, not subtle rules. So, I've taken it upon myself to help them by calmly informing them of the rules. I've been shocked at how many people really didn't seem to know that OB is a stroke plus distance. Or that you can't ground your club in the sand. (Patrick Reed not withstanding.) 

I have been told by a few rangers at a few courses to not go back to the tee on an OB shot when there is a loss of distance. I have been told to drop at point of entry and when I mentioned the rules, I was told the course had to keep people moving.
So I agree with the people not knowing the rules, but I think the courses (at least public ones around me) are far more concerned with keeping the golfers moving on the course than my adherence to the rules. And if this is where people are learning golf, they carry it with them to other courses.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

8 hours ago, HankBlue said:

his (non-playing) 8 and 3 year old sons -- I

Is this a thing, I thought everybody need to have a set of clubs and pay? Next thing you know they'll allow folks to bring their dogs... 

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

On 9/12/2022 at 6:57 PM, mohearn said:

Is this a thing, I thought everybody need to have a set of clubs and pay? Next thing you know they'll allow folks to bring their dogs... 

I've seen it a couple of times over the years.   Parent riding with a child in the cart.  I did it this past summer with one of my daughters (11 year old).   We went to the "other 9" where it's usually quiet.   As long as there is no commotion I don't see a problem with it.

—Adam

On 9/12/2022 at 6:57 PM, mohearn said:

It isn't common, but it happens. How they keep the little boogers under control I'll never know. 

Usually at public courses you would need to pay a cart fee for a non-player to ride but not a greens fee.  Sometimes you see people just walking the course like it were any other park. Happens often at one of our locals. 

Not as much as a horror story that other people have had, but got paired with a kinda D bag once.

Playing with my friend who was very bad at the time, going out for a twilight walk to play until the sun goes down. First tee box a very tan, athletic guy in his 50's dressed like freaking tiger woods with golf pants, bright shirt, bright white shoes and visor asks to play with us. No problem there, you do you guy. My buddy shanks his first shot pretty horrifically and the guy  blurts out like "oh wow". I pull mine and he says "pulled it huh", yes I know thanks for the information. He blasts it like 280 yards dead straight and continues to wiggle worm and make comments on every shot before asking if he can just go ahead of us on the green. I gladly said yes.

I don't understand asking to play with someone and then being a dick about it. I would've let him through no problem, but I guess he had to show us how important he was before he went through or something.

45 minutes ago, SullyGolf said:

I don't understand asking to play with someone and then being a dick about it.

You'll always get those kind of people now and again. The fact that yours left after less than one hole should be considered a bonus.

2 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

I've seen it a couple of times over the years.   Parent riding with a child in the cart.  I did it this past summer with one of my daughters (11 year old).   We went to the "other 9" where it's usually quiet.   As long as there is no commotion I don't see a problem with it.

I've taken my son out on the course with me a few times. Just for 9 holes. He acts as a caddy for me. He keeps me company and likes to rake the bunkers. Obviously, we wouldn't do it while the course is full of golfers. But when the course is fairly quiet it's nice to have him along. 

I know a couple of senior gentlemen who play as a twosome and bring their wives (who don't golf) along with them. The four of them walk their 9 holes. Keep up and don't cause any issues. They play that way pretty much every weekday morning. I've never seen it be an issue. 

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I know a couple of senior gentlemen who play as a twosome and bring their wives (who don't golf) along with them. The four of them walk their 9 holes. Keep up and don't cause any issues. They play that way pretty much every weekday morning. I've never seen it be an issue. 

This is nice. I like it and see nothing wrong with it at all. I met a nice older man one morning who played while his wife drove the cart, it's good.

Worst person I was ever paired with started shouting at a group starting the tenth hole "we're coming through,....." from halfway down the ninith.  I knew a couple in that group, very embarrasssing and had to apologize later even though I didn't know the guy.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

I haven't had anyone truly terrible, but did play with a guy once who literally forgot I was playing with him, multiple times throughout the round.  There was a group in front of us so he couldn't take off completely, but started on the first hole, both hit our tee shots, I was maybe 10 yards directly behind him and got to my ball first.  I was literally stepping up to my ball when he just walked up to his and started to get ready to hit.  I gave him a "heads up" and he got out of the way, but that continued all round.  If he hit first, he'd just start walking after his ball.  If I hit first, I'd constantly have to know where he was because of how often he walked ahead of me.  Just completely oblivious that he was playing with someone no matter how many times I reminded him I was there.

After the 9th hole, he holed out before me, then just grabbed his bag and walked off to his car without a word.

-Eric

2 hours ago, Friz said:

I haven't had anyone truly terrible, but did play with a guy once who literally forgot I was playing with him, multiple times throughout the round.  There was a group in front of us so he couldn't take off completely, but started on the first hole, both hit our tee shots, I was maybe 10 yards directly behind him and got to my ball first.  I was literally stepping up to my ball when he just walked up to his and started to get ready to hit.  I gave him a "heads up" and he got out of the way, but that continued all round.  If he hit first, he'd just start walking after his ball.  If I hit first, I'd constantly have to know where he was because of how often he walked ahead of me.  Just completely oblivious that he was playing with someone no matter how many times I reminded him I was there.

After the 9th hole, he holed out before me, then just grabbed his bag and walked off to his car without a word.

I like to picture saying "good round" and standing there with your hand extended awkwardly before giving a good ol' air handshake.

Maybe he has extreme social anxiety and playing with you was like torture for 18 holes? 

On 9/12/2022 at 4:57 PM, mohearn said:

All I will say about this is I have brought my daughters along and my friends have done the same. It can be a good way to introduce kids to the game and to teach them about etiquette and rules.  Mind you we have control over our children and make sure they behave. 

And we have several people who play golf on a regular basis with their dogs. It's never been an issue. I actually take my german shepherd to the course with me every time I work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I have no bad experiences that stood out enough for me to remember them so that means one of two things; I’ve either been really lucky, Or I’m just getting old and losing my memory.

I do wonder if I’ve ever been that guy for somebody else though.  I have a bad habit of talking to other players balls that I’ve been trying to break because know everybody gets that.  And I have a bag with my name on it. 😜

I've had a few where they were non-communicado, act as they are playing alone, a bit rude...ish, etc a few times but nothing to write home about. 

We do have a guy in our blitz who has a habit of giving folks a pro-bono swing analysis. He is generally a nice guy and most of us usually ignore his chatter but can get annoying. Last time I got we got paired up in the same group I rolled out the 'no swing analyzing during the round' rule. I told him he got in my head a bit with the putting analysis he did last time we played. He was a bit chuffed a bit for couple of holes as in his mind he thought he was doing his part to make this world a better place, but it worked and we golfed in peace that day. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• 8 months later...

I can actually admit that today i was pair with two guys who I will refer to as Douche-poodle 1 and 2 aka DP1 and 2 

So while my playing partner does try, i can't remember the last time he actually kept score of his rounds lol...  I keep score of my rounds for sanity and to see my progress..   

Well today we are playing a course we've never played before and we get paired up with these two guys...  so first off, I notice DP1 has basketball shorts on, not that i care... but his ass was out the whole day.   and to say he sucked at golf was an understatement... I realize we all are far from great, but this guy could barely hit the ball off the Tee Box... and when he did, he'd always be like ohhhhh damn i dont know why i'm not playing good today or something like he just missed that one.      And not going to lie, i wasn't sure if the guy was drunk or on something.   And DP2  was slightly better, and could actually get the ball off the tee box.    

Now the course we played was actually really decent, the carts had screens with hole locations and yardage and radio and weather updates.     it also showed if you was keeping up the pace of play..  and by the end of the day we was 30 minutes behind the pace of play, with nobody in front of us.     

The final straw and thankfully i didn't completely lose my shit, we are on the 16th hole and DP2  has his ball near mine, and shanks one into the water lol... I get out of the cart to walk over to my ball and my playing partner yells "watch out!!!! "  and DP 2 had dropped another ball and hit the ball literally at me... it was so close it grazed my arm...    and you'd think DP2 would apologize.... but nope not a damn thing.    

• Upvote 1

It is what it is