IGNORED

Have You Ever Walked Off the Course During a Bad Round?

ChetlovesMer

Have You Ever Walked Off The Course?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Ever Walked Off The Course Mid-Round Because You Weren't Playing Well?

• No, I've only ever left the course due to weather or running late for an appointment or something like that. Never due to "poor play".
    • Yes - I have walked off the course once or twice.
    • Yes - I do it all the time.
  2. 2. Is It Wise To Walk Off The Course If You Are Playing Badly?

• No - You should aways stick it out. You never know when you may "Find Something".
    • Yes - But only if you are playing REALLY badly.
    • Yes - You should always walk away. Why torture yourself? Plus, you are just ruining your swing by staying out there.

42 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I walked off once when I was younger. Playing with my dad at our typical track. I was in the trees punching out and my iron snapped over a branch. I had already been playing badly and this tipped me over the edge. I walked back in. It felt horrible and I apologized to my dad after. Should never have left.

It really shouldn’t be that important. I make my living from the game, but I can’t let myself get that upset on the course. I’ve definitely been in a lot more control of my emotions recently. 

Hey, you walked off a couple weeks ago.  But it was because you had a lesson to give.  😄

I walked off two years ago when I tore two tendons in my elbow.  Lucky for me I was on #14, close to the clubhouse.

And I've walked off several times at twilight when the amateurs are 3 deep on the tees.

10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I was playing earlier this week with a neighbor. He and I were paired up with a couple of other guys. They were perfectly nice guys. One of them, lost a ball on the first hole. Oddly, we all thought he striped it down the middle of the fairway, but we couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, he went back to the tee, hit a drive into the rough, hit an approach into the bunker, blasted out, 2 putted for a triple bogey. He parred the next 3 holes. Made a birdie on the toughest hole on the course (hole number 5). Then par, par, par. Before making another triple on hole 9. He finished the front 9 with a 5 over 41. Which he said was disappointing. I could see why. The triple on the first was bummer (a lost ball we all thought was down the middle.) The triple on the last was one of those hit it into trouble, tried to make the heroic save, got in more trouble, kind-of-deals. 

The back nine, all of us parred hole 10, a par 5. (I was disappointed on this one as I reached the green in 2.) 3 putts suck! He topped his drive on 11. He saved bogie. Topped another drive on 12, saved par. 13 is a longish (188 yards) par 3. He topped another tee-shot this time with an iron. Then he hit into the bunker, knocked it out, 2 putted to a double bogey. 

Then he took his bag off the cart and walked back to the club-house. He told his partner, he was losing his game and knew it wouldn't come back. So he just left. 

His buddy told me and my neighbor that he plays with this guy all the time and that he can't remember how many times this guy has just given up mid-round and walked off. I guess it happens all the time. 

We all spent the final 5 holes discussing whether it was better to just "walk off" the course when you don't feel you are playing well. Or to stick it out and try to recover. What do you all think?

Stick it out.  Use the last few holes to work on your game... get it back.

If you're playing poorly flag down the cart girl/guy.  I did something similar to that once at Pebble Beach and the double gin & tonic did the trick (you don't want to quit on a $375.00 round).  Even got one for my caddie... he caddied better after that.  

• Like 1

No, not good. Can see stopping for illness, injury or really bad weather. Sports to me are about not quitting when the going gets tough, just the opposite. Habits are habits, sports or life.

Driver - Ping 410+ 12°, Fairway -TM Burner 5W, Hybrid - 3&4 TM Rescue dual, Irons -  Mizuno MX200 5-G, SW - Callaway X Tour, Putter - Odyssey 1W Versa

• 2 weeks later...

I have almost walked off but not because of a bad round, rather a bad back. I've had three surgeries on the lower back and sometimes it will begin to hurt usually around the 14 hole. What I do is I forget driving and scramble with another's drive that way I "stay in the game" but take it easy on my back. I don't keep score after that I'm just there for the fun and staying with the guys to go to the nineteen hole which usually makes my back feel better, (LOL).

The only time I've walked off was on a day that got warmer than I expected, and I was carrying my bag. I enjoy carrying the bag if it's going to be 70s or below, but I'm not so young any more, and it was 85 and climbing. My fault- I hadn't checked the forecast since booking the round a few days prior. Despite drinking plenty of water, by the time we were on about the 13th hole, I couldn't control my lower body and was chronically spraying, fatting, thinning, etc. Every shot, quite frustrating. So I bid my playing partners a pleasant afternoon and hoofed it back to the car.

Only time I will walk off a course is due to time of play. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I've done it twice.   Once because it was so brutally slow that it would have been over 6 hours to play.   Second was due to the people I was playing with.

It's also happened to me twice with someone in my group.   First time was a 4 handicap who was having a horrible day so he drove in after 12.   He was nice about it, but he basically was like "I'm just done".

Second one was someone I was thrilled to see go.  He and I were both singles and got paired with a couple.  He was super full of himself and would wait too long for the people in front of us (because he could hit it 330, of course) and generally talked himself up like crazy.   I stopped talking to him on the third hole after he sneered at me that where I was looking for his ball was way too short for a long hitter like him.

He had a huge swaying swing that was John Daly like, except Daly has a lot more talent.  When he connected it did go far, but hardly ever straight.  Enjoyment level on the back nine was much higher than the front nine.

• Like 1

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To turn it around, I once did not walk onto a course.  Winter, sunny day but cold.  Got to the course and their American flag was blowing stiff from the North.  Meant a windchill of about zero.  So I pulled out of the parking lot, drove 5 miles down the road to a more protected course and played there.

I might have mentally checked out a few times but have never left a round because of poor play or foul mood or whatever. 

I've had a few partners over the years who have quit though. Most of them were having a poor play day, not feeling it or whatever and usually were apologetic for abandoning the round and the company. I didn't get the feeling they left in poor form at all. Not everyone enjoys torture and I respect that.

The one that sticks out like a sore thumb is this one 'friend' (husband of wife's best friend) who has an ego the size of Antarctica and the game of a rank beginner (he is not) to show for it. We have played a few rounds over the years mostly at the request of my wife . He usually starts raging as soon as he tops the ball the first time which is usually in the first couple of holes and then the whole day is a pretty much a race to the bottom. 

So one time after bunch of club throwing tantrums the self-defeat finally broke him on the 17th hole, snatched the bag of the cart on the 17th hole while I was finishing up the hole, walked straight to the parking lot without saying a word and drove home (I think he drove home...😂). After I got over my bewilderment of the childishness, I found it to be straight up hilarious. Didn't hear from him till we met socially after a few weeks or so. 

Vishal S.

Never walked off a round due to poor play, at least that I remember. I did quit one round a couple years ago due to really bad weather, but that was only because I was playing with a friend who decided to quit, and they were my ride home. 

If a round is going really poorly, I'll throw in the towel on scoring/rules, and use the time on the course to practice, and try to leave with something positive out of the experience. Or alternatively, I will start taking more high risk shots that I would almost never attempt under normal circumstances (e.g., big flop shot).

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I did one time.  It was about 15 years ago.  I was playing alone and badly.  After hitting my tee shot out of bounds on 6 or 7 of the first 9 I decided to pack It in.  Whatever was going on...it was not something I wanted to sort out on the golf course.  Not that day.

P.S.  I called my instructor and made an appointment.  He made an observation, gave me something to work on, and that was that.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Nah.  I just don't care enough, and I don't play often enough to stress about it.  It's just golf.  If I'm stinking up the joint I laugh it off and just see if I can't hit a few decent ones the rest of the way.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Nah.  I just don't care enough, and I don't play often enough to stress about it.  It's just golf.  If I'm stinking up the joint I laugh it off and just see if I can't hit a few decent ones the rest of the way.

That’s great. But when I’m having a mess of a round, people’s safety is at risk.😮

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

57 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

That’s great. But when I’m having a mess of a round, people’s safety is at risk.😮

No worries. You're insured!

Walked off once... only because I had a stomach bug and was puking on the 8th hole. Stuck a tee shot on 9 (Par 3) and then left. 😉

Was winning my match too. Kinda disappointing.

I would never walk off due to poor play. It happens. Best to muscle through those days and try to learn something.