IGNORED

How Much, on Average, do You Spend on Golf Each Year?

woodzie264
Note: This thread is 866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How much, on average, do you spend on golf each year? Approx breakdown (membership, greens fees, clubs, lessons, gadgets, etc)?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How much, on average, do you spend on golf each year? Approx breakdown (membership, greens fees, clubs, lessons, gadgets, etc)?

• Less than $500
    • $500-1k
    • $1-2k
    • $2-5k
    • $5-10k
    • Over $10k

I voted $2-5K. I’ve spent more on golf this past year than I have spent in total since I’ve been playing, about 10-11 years.

I was playing with an old set of clubs my son-in-law gave me and I played 10-20 times a year and now I play 2-5 times a week. I walk most of the time, which is free at my club

Since February I joined a club, bought new clubs, a new driver, and a new putter. I took lessons and I bought a Bat-Caddy.

A neighbor and I play once a week at different local courses and that of course means green and cart fees.

So, this year has been my most expensive outlay for golf. However, the new equipment should last me for quite some time and the next few years should be less expensive.

I voted $2,500-$5,000.  In an average year I will play about 100 times at 30 different courses with an average cost of $25-$30.  A golf trip up north costs an additional $1,000.  I typically do not purchase much equipment.

Like @dennyjones, I use GroupGolfer.  I also play with a group whose members include employees/volunteers at several local courses.  For rounds at "their" courses, we pay $10-$15 for a round versus the senior rate of $40-$50.  As a senior, I am able to play Monday-Friday at a greatly reduced cost compared to weekend rates.

SE Michigan has a lot of courses within a 1-hour drive of Ann Arbor.  While the pandemic has allowed courses to raise rates, there are still very reasonable prices available.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted 5 to 10k, but when I think of it most of that really counts towards two golfers, my wife and I.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I voted 5 to 10k, but when I think of it most of that really counts towards two golfers, my wife and I.  

I’m jealous - wish my wife played, I think I’d get out a lot more than I do. 

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Just now, woodzie264 said:

Invite her out a couple of times (on a nice day) and put absolutely no pressure on her.  None, or very limited golf tips.  Have good convo.  Let her enjoy the surroundings.  Share a beer afterwards, at her favorite restaurant, not in the male-dominated clubhouse grill.  (unless she likes looking at other men)

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I definitely get to play more because she plays, we just had 7 rounds together in NC last week.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I was between 5-10k. I want to say that I spend 100 per week on average. That is greens fees, lessons, practice, food and beverage. That does not include the money games I play in which is pretty much break even over time. If I add in clothing, shoes, balls, grips and trackman, then I would easily be at a healthy 6k. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Over $10K.  This is monthly dues and a cart program.  Other golf cost are tournament fees at the Club and Carolina Golf Association tournaments, and Mens Club dues. As for the monthly dues and cart program cost after adding that amount together divided by number of rounds played its right at $42.41 a round. (based on current # of rounds played, 236 so far).  All range balls (unlimited) are free.

Edited by Sandy Lie
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm between $500 and $1000.

A big help is that I get a partial pass to my home golf course as a birthday/Christmas gift from the family. That enables me to walk for $6 per round. I'll usually play 10 to 15 rounds other places over a year's time, but most of those courses are in the $20-35 range. Normally, I try to work in a trip to the range most weeks so that's $5 per session. 

Had a bit of an outlier purchase with a new driver this year, but most of the bag are older clubs I've bought off Craigslist or was given. Most years I avoid that cost and probably barely get over that $500 plateau.

Haven't had to buy too many balls because one of my buddies is a big-time ball hunter. He's got tons of em and regularly gives me a handful.

Edited by mcanadiens

$5K to $10K range.. leaning towards the upper end. Monthly dues and travel golf including transportation $6k-$8k Clubs/balls/shoes/clothes/net - $1K-$2K.

Vishal S.

Close to $5k for my wife and I if you include dinner and drinks after, and all the gear associated with playing year round in Washington. The kids are only $5 a round with Youth on Course. If we decide to join a club it could rise or drop depending on where we might join.

This is a tough one, I play 100+ rounds a year, but I work at a golf course and only end up paying maybe 10-20 greens fees a year when I go on vacation. I also get all my equipment at a heavy discount. I probably spend around $2000, but would probably spend two or three times that if I didn't work at a course. I voted $1000-$2000.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I’m the one person so far in the under $500 category.

I work in the pro shop and at the golf school so my golf, if I ever play, and range balls are free.

I don’t buy balls, my parents live in a condo next to the 14th hole and their yard get fills of errant prov-1…. I have 2 back packs full of them.  And I’m the type that just keeps using the same ball.

I don’t buy clubs unless I have stuff to trade in or sell .  And anything I buy is not new anyway so I break even more or less.  My irons are from 2014, my driver is a G400max and my putter is an older Ping Anser Redwood.  My wedges are the original PM grind wedges but I’ll carve out the grooves if needed.

• Like 2

well..   4 months of league play at $60/week.  I believe its 16 weeks.  Another 20 rounds at about $100 per round. 
a golf trip in the fall that is about $1,500.   6-8 boxes of balls.   new equipment is different every year.   Last year I bought a Dr, 3w and 2 wedges.   This year probably only a wedge.  but, probably averages out to about $300 per year.   

so...   $5k is a pretty reasonable guesstimate.   that doesn't include beer and food and whatnot.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

25 minutes ago, lastings said:

well..   4 months of league play at $60/week.  I believe its 16 weeks.  Another 20 rounds at about $100 per round. 
a golf trip in the fall that is about $1,500.   6-8 boxes of balls.   new equipment is different every year.   Last year I bought a Dr, 3w and 2 wedges.   This year probably only a wedge.  but, probably averages out to about $300 per year.   

so...   $5k is a pretty reasonable guesstimate.   that doesn't include beer and food and whatnot.  

I can relate.

16 weeks of league play costs $480.00. All paid before the league begins... I just paid for 2022's league. 

Let's say $200-$500 in lessons... believe me, I need them. This year I'll be adding in GEAR's and I'm expecting a AimPoint lesson as well. So, more like $1500 this year. 

One trip in the Spring, I play a tournament every year in Vegas. This year will be my 13th year playing I think. About $2K. (Although there have been years where I've done well enough to pay for the trip with prize money.... but that's uncommon and I can't really count on that.) 

I try to get in on a forum meet-up or two each year. Tends not to be too expensive, maybe another couple hundred all in. 

I almost always put something new in my bag and spend a couple hundred on that. Although, I have no plans for any new clubs for 2022. ... well maybe a new hybrid? Next year will be new wedges, I kind of like to do them every other year. 

Let's say 30 rounds of golf at about $50 per round. = $1500 more or less. 

So, the low end for me is probably around $4K and the high is probably around $6K. I voted for $5-10K.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Note: This thread is 866 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!