IGNORED

How Much Are We Entitled to Know About Tiger's Accident?

iacas
Note: This thread is 865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tiger's Car Accident  

43 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5, how much are we, as golf fans (or the general public) entitled to know about Tiger's accident in February, 2021? (See first post for context.)

• 1 - Only what he chooses to share.
    • 5 - Anything and everything.

23 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm not sure that Tiger ever really cared about being a celebrity, but he's made money from endorsements, and those rely to some extent on "celebrity status".  Same with his sponsorship of events like the Hero World Challenge this week.  But I don't think his choices about non-disclosure of any more details around the accident will hurt his ability to get endorsement contracts or bring attention to events he sponsors.

I'm willing to give him leeway for his efforts to promote a mostly charitable golf tournament.  I feel he owes me some more info before I will eagerly buy a product that he is being paid to endorse.  You are probably right that he will get enough people who do not care that he will say that he doesn't care whether or not I buy his stuff.

John

I don't care to know if he was under the influence or not. If he did, shame on him. If he did, more shame on the cops for not slapping him with the appropriate penalty for it. If so, then the cops are setting a horrible example not treating him like any other person in that situation. To me, just because he happened to be the greatest golfer of all time, he doesn't need to spill the beans on this one. 

This is totally different than some person on Twitter who makes a living off of publicizing their entire life. Even then, I do not fallow those people, but I can see where some might think they are entitle to know since for the past 5 years they have been making advertisement money off of giving the public their entire life story.

Tiger made his money playing golf, and through good business choices (i.e. Nike). He was always a private person. I do not feel like I need to know. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tiger is a public figure. I think his past requires him to respond to particular questions because trust is an issue. Like last week when someone asked, can you talk about the accident and he immediately responded no. I don't trust that something wasn't going on that day and my feeling is based on both his past and his behavior on TV that weekend at Riviera. He appeared a bit out of it, IMO. As soon as I heard about the accident, that is what I thought about.

Bill M

2 minutes ago, phan52 said:

Tiger is a public figure. I think his past requires him to respond to particular questions because trust is an issue. Like last week when someone asked, can you talk about the accident and he immediately responded no. I don't trust that something wasn't going on that day and my feeling is based on both his past and his behavior on TV that weekend at Riviera. He appeared a bit out of it, IMO. As soon as I heard about the accident, that is what I thought about.

I disagree with this take.

There are different levels of being a public figure. There are those that make a living on having their public life being out there. Then there are those that are thrust into the limelight because they happen to be great at something people enjoy watching. A lot of times, those people are very private, and will talk about their profession, but not about their private lives. 

In that case, we must differentiate between these people. Since Tiger obviously has kept his personal life private. Not trying to gain monetary value from it. He let his golfing speak for him, and his entire worth as a so called public figure is based on his performance on the course, not him putting his public life out there. To me, he doesn't have to say anything. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

There are different levels of being a public figure. There are those that make a living on having their public life being out there. Then there are those that are thrust into the limelight because they happen to be great at something people enjoy watching. A lot of times, those people are very private, and will talk about their profession, but not about their private lives. 

In that case, we must differentiate between these people. Since Tiger obviously has kept his personal life private. Not trying to gain monetary value from it. He let his golfing speak for him, and his entire worth as a so called public figure is based on his performance on the course, not him putting his public life out there. To me, he doesn't have to say anything. 

I agree with this. Had Tiger crashed into another vehicle and/or injured another person he would be more due to give an explanation perhaps.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I totally disagree when you say that Tiger has not tried to gain monetary value from his life. How about the persona he projected before the truth came out about his personal life? He fooled everyone, including me, for over a decade. I doubt he would have been so revered, not only a golfer, but as an exemplary person if we all knew what he was up to. There was definitely monetary value in that fake persona.
Plus, there is good reason to suspect that he may have been driving impaired that morning in LA and there is no reason he shouldn’t be asked about it. JMO.

Bill M

2 minutes ago, phan52 said:

How about the persona he projected before the truth came out about his personal life? He fooled everyone, including me, for over a decade.

You mean, he didn't just come out in front of the cameras and said, "Well guys, I just banged this hooker last night." Yea, like anyone would do that. Of course he fooled everyone, when you cheat on your wife, you tend to do that in secret. 

3 minutes ago, phan52 said:

I doubt he would have been so revered, not only a golfer, but as an exemplary person if we all knew what he was up to. There was definitely monetary value in that fake persona.

Guess what, you are not entitled to that information. You have no right to know what he does in his private time. Does it stain his character, yep. Does it hurt his legacy, sure. 

4 minutes ago, phan52 said:

Plus, there is good reason to suspect that he may have been driving impaired that morning in LA and there is no reason he shouldn’t be asked about it. JMO.

I never said he shouldn't be asked about it. He just doesn't have to answer the question. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 minute ago, saevel25 said:

You mean, he didn't just come out in front of the cameras and said, "Well guys, I just banged this hooker last night." Yea, like anyone would do that. Of course he fooled everyone, when you cheat on your wife, you tend to do that in secret. . 

You said he didn’t gain any monetary value from his personal life. BS. He did for over a decade by being a poser. Do you think he gets all those contracts from entities like Nike if he revealed his real self? Please.

Bill M

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Had Tiger crashed into another vehicle and/or injured another person he would be more due to give an explanation perhaps.

It is only pure luck that a vehicle travelling 30+ mph over the speed limit, and completely out of control, avoided crashing into another vehicle or person.  Its certainly fair to hope for a more complete explanation than we've had for the loss of control, even if Tiger isn't required to give it.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

It is only pure luck that a vehicle travelling 30+ mph over the speed limit, and completely out of control, avoided crashing into another vehicle or person.  Its certainly fair to hope for a more complete explanation than we've had for the loss of control, even if Tiger isn't required to give it.

You make a good point. 

why-didnt-i-think-of-that-donald-kimball.gif.4a8644ac5a6f43d4f2c59107f3bffd48.gif

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

9 hours ago, phan52 said:

You said he didn’t gain any monetary value from his personal life. BS. He did for over a decade by being a poser. Do you think he gets all those contracts from entities like Nike if he revealed his real self? Please.

Everyone does. We all tell our friends the secrets of our lives. We hardly tell our casual co-worker, or our employer. 

Guess what, I don't care that he does stay quiet. 

Also, guess what, companies like Nike, pending the situation, could have known what he was doing. They could push it all under the rug because he makes them so much money, not the other way around. It isn't like there isn't a huge ROI for Nike here. Guess what, Nike didn't drop him after it came out he was sleeping around. Why, because ROI. He still pulls a crowd, and in some regard, a redemption story makes money as well. 

I bet, even if you hate that he slept around, you still watched him if he is in contention. Even if you are rooting against him, you give Nike that ad revenue. 

Still, even with that, we are not privy to every life event he has. He doesn't have to be an open book. 

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Yep, pure luck happens all the time. Sometimes, the road is empty, no pedestrians, etc...

My friend got T-Boned at 4:30 in the afternoon by a drunk driver. If the drunk decided to stay at the bar till 11pm, my friend would never gotten hit. It was all bad luck on his part. 

No, I do not think we need to not an explanation outside what the police have investigated. Yes, it can be pure luck. 

I've been 30+ over the speed limit before. Rocking out to music, hitting a downslope on a freeway, no other cars around for miles, doing 105 in a 65 or 70. All it takes is one thing at that speed and I am off the road really fast. The only thing wrong there is that I wasn't paying attention enough to not drive that fast. It was pure luck that no other cars were on the road if I did lose control. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

32 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I bet, even if you hate that he slept around, you still watched him if he is in contention. Even if you are rooting against him, you give Nike that ad revenue. 

I don't root against him and of course I watch when he is in contention. Frankly, I watch when Max Homa is in contention since I am a golf fan, but Tiger certainly moves the needle. That is part of my  point. 

I just think people should be accountable. Tiger was clearly out of it on TV that weekend at Riviera, so I don't think it is a stretch to think something was up that morning. I don't think it is a stretch to think that the investigation was perfunctory and favored someone like Tiger. JMO. 

Bill M

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

The only thing wrong there is that I wasn't paying attention enough to not drive that fast. It was pure luck that no other cars were on the road if I did lose control. 

Just my own take, I'd respect Tiger a bit more if he was to say that, to say he was a bit late, he was rocking out, he misjudged the curve, whatever.  Its certainly his right to choose not to answer questions.  As with most public figures, his choices will influence our opinions of him.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

13 hours ago, phan52 said:

I just think people should be accountable. Tiger was clearly out of it on TV that weekend at Riviera, so I don't think it is a stretch to think something was up that morning. I don't think it is a stretch to think that the investigation was perfunctory and favored someone like Tiger. JMO. 

This x1000. To appear (I know that it is just an appearance) completely hopped up and out of it a couple of days before the incident is a huge reason why the questions are there, and IMO rightfully so. There is history there. He's recovering from surgery, so the access is almost certainly there. And we have video of what could be seen as him high as a kite shortly before, though not so shortly that any intoxication from the TV appearance would have worn off had it existed.

Until I personally see toxicological reports dated and sign from that date, I will believe he was intoxicated. Some (most here) may call this unreasonable, but I would argue it is unreasonable for him to be going that speed and crash, then have no citation from the cops, even more unreasonable.

I voted 1 as far as Tiger saying anything himself is concerned, but I think it is a terrible look, and close to a silent admission at this point given his history, the previous TV appearance, and the circumstances of the crash.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

This x1000. To appear (I know that it is just an appearance) completely hopped up and out of it a couple of days before the incident is a huge reason why the questions are there, and IMO rightfully so. There is history there. He's recovering from surgery, so the access is almost certainly there. And we have video of what could be seen as him high as a kite shortly before, though not so shortly that any intoxication from the TV appearance would have worn off had it existed.

Until I personally see toxicological reports dated and sign from that date, I will believe he was intoxicated. Some (most here) may call this unreasonable, but I would argue it is unreasonable for him to be going that speed and crash, then have no citation from the cops, even more unreasonable.

I voted 1 as far as Tiger saying anything himself is concerned, but I think it is a terrible look, and close to a silent admission at this point given his history, the previous TV appearance, and the circumstances of the crash.

Not a big innocent until proven guilty guy I see.

He did not appear under the influence. Are the police liars?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

for him to be going that speed and crash, then have no citation from the cops, even more unreasonable.

That might be fair.

a silent admission at this point given his history

That seems pretty unfair.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I will say, most Police take DUI very seriously. 

Until I personally see toxicological reports dated and sign from that date, I will believe he was intoxicated.

Then make a request for them. I am sure some reporters have reviewed all the data allowed to them under the law and probably tried to use connections to get information they are not allowed to see. In the end, there is no smoke here. There has been no article about him driving under the influence. Guess what, there is probably nothing more to this. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Note: This thread is 865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!