IGNORED

You Get One Putt for Cash (a Poll)

iacas
Note: This thread is 789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One Putt for Cash (Poll)  

34 members have voted

1. 1. You get one putt. Which one are you going to take?

• 3-footer for $50k
    • 5-footer for $100k
    • 10-footer for $250k
    • 20-footer for $1M
    • 50-footer for $5M

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Chet, Bill, Denny... you guys are talking like you can actually make a three-foot putt. While your hands are shaking, your stomach's hurting, your eyes are watering over, your mouth is dry and you are hyperventilating. 😁

I'm confused. Why are my hands shaking, my stomach hurting, my eyes watering? Why is my mouth dry? And why am I hyperventilating? .... The only time all of those things happen is when I'm in trouble with the Mrs. ... Wait, is she going to be there when I have to make this putt? 🤢 

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I was set to vote 3-footer because that one is the only real "sure" thing on here for me - especially standing there with hands trembling knowing what its worth.

Instead combine this logic with @iacas logic ...

250k would not be life-changing but it would be very significant.

So, with all that in mind, I'll choose the 10-footer.  I'll move on easily and happily if I miss, and be ecstatic - and maybe finally get that master bath remodeled - if I make it. 😜

I mean, if she can do it ...

This video just goes to show if you get the Bead and the Read right, the speed can be off by quite a bit. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Chet, Bill, Denny... you guys are talking like you can actually make a three-foot putt. While your hands are shaking, your stomach's hurting, your eyes are watering over, your mouth is dry and you are hyperventilating. 😁

A three-footer for $50k is not going to be harder than a three-footer for the match against your buddy. I’ll take my chances.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I’ll take an easy (in theory) $50k. Tax free cash payout hopefully. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

The 10 footer without hesitation. If the putt is straight, I might take a chance on the 20 footer, but otherwise I am confortable with the 10 footer.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

been some interesting thoughts in here. If I get time to practice beforehand and it is a straight to slight bend, I got the 20' for much the same reason mentioned...it could have significant impact for years to come but it is a low enough percentage that I am not going to be devastated if I miss. If not, I am going the 3' as I am more likely to make it and less room for a random bump in the green to change my fate...when I choke it away I know it was me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like this question is irrelevant as the answer is highly dependent on how well the putter is doing financially. 

But like it was said the two longest ones are the best value. That being said if it were a straight putt I’d definitely go for the 5’ and might even go to the 10’. I sink enough of those while practicing that it’s realistic. The 20’ is such a low % shot for me that even the possibility of hitting it isn’t worth it. I wouldn’t go for the 3’ as the $50k don’t make much of a difference for me. 

8 minutes ago, Killa said:

I feel like this question is irrelevant as the answer is highly dependent on how well the putter is doing financially. 

That is why it is such an interesting question for us millionaires.  😀

10 minutes ago, Killa said:

I wouldn’t go for the 3’ as the $50k don’t make much of a difference for me. 

$50k is a hellava golf trip with buddies...

I like the 10 footer for the risk/reward. The risk is that if I miss, I don't lose too much sleep over it and its enough to make a difference in quality of life. I am thinking a golf condo or travel opportunities in retirement. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Killa said:

You're the putter. You know how well you're doing. So, the question is not irrelevant.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Killa said:

Not to pile on;  but I don't hurt for money, I'm not rich either but a man has to know his limitations!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Hell, I would take the 1 foot putt for 10K.  Honestly, putting is easily my weakest part of the game and I selected the 3 footer.  Not to say that I haven't drained longer putts, sometimes luckily and sometimes good putts, but I would rather take the guaranteed cash than gambling on something that is a weakness for me

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

16 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Not to pile on;  but I don't hurt for money, I'm not rich either but a man has to know his limitations!

Yeah but Tom Brady, Payton Manning or Michael Jordan are not putting anything below 10’ on this one... 

and if you want to imagine my point of view just erase the zeroes. So 5,10,25,100 and 500 bucks. 

If it’s this I’m definitely putting for 100 or 500. 

Edited by Killa

It's gotta be the 5-footer for me,.      I'm just not that good of a putter, so the 10ft and above is just a coin in a slot machine for me.     I make 5 footers with pretty decent regularity.   I certainly don't make 3 footers with twice the regularity as i do 5 footers.      I think bumping up to 5 ft is a calculated risk.   anything more is a gamble.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 1/10/2022 at 11:49 AM, Killa said:

I actually think that is kind of the point of the question.

I know what I'd do. I know my financial situation. I also know what my future financial situation is likely to be. But I'm still taking the 3 footer. 

Somebody with a similar financial situation my choose to go for the 10 or even the 20. They we can discuss why. 

I think that's what makes the question interesting. There's no right or wrong answer. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 1/10/2022 at 10:49 AM, Killa said:

sure, to a point.   but, as long as you're in the class where $50k or $100k has a lot of meaning to you, it's all relevant.  

but, let's even the playing field a bit: 

• 3-footer for 1/2 your yearly income
  • 5-footer for your yearly income
  • 10-footer for 2.5x your yearly income
  • 20-footer for 10x your yearly income
  • 50-footer for 50x your yearly income

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!