IGNORED

First Custom Fit, but Not Sure I Agree With it!

Nick-UK
Note: This thread is 824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Nick-uk said:

I have a [hopefully positive] update! I went back today and was re-fitted by a seemingly much more senior person. He actually measured my wrist to floor (I'm actually more or less standard, apparently) and took multiple lie board readings. I was hitting a 1* upright club at the time and it was repeatedly still 1-2 degrees towards the toe, so we settled on a 2* upright fit. As far as shaft was concerned, he suggested a Project X IO 6.0 (110g). The launch was still lower than my current clubs (DG R300), at about 70ft peak, on average. Spin was still low though, peaking at 4.5k.

Interestingly, the upright lie didn't exaggerate the draw/hooks, so I'm much happier now.

Thanks for everyone's input. If there are no further opinions on this new shaft then I guess I'll stop complaining and wait for it to be delivered!

70 feet with 88 MPH and 4500 RPM?

Hmmm.

If you're happy, congrats. I'd be skeptical, still.

What was your landing angle? Do you have the report?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, iacas said:

70 feet with 88 MPH and 4500 RPM?

Hmmm.

If you're happy, congrats. I'd be skeptical, still.

What was your landing angle? Do you have the report?

Sadly they didn't have the details from my original fitting saved, and this time obviously wasn't a full, official fitting session.

I was really aching from overdoing it in the gym, so was swinging noticeably slower this time, at around 83-84mph. Smash factor was around 1.35. I didn't see the landing angle for the new club/shaft, but my original clubs (regular flex) was around 45*.

11 hours ago, iacas said:

70 feet with 88 MPH and 4500 RPM

@billchao says his 7i is 5900. Mizuno website reports 29 deg. loft for the OPs 7 iron. That's a degree stronger than my 6 (prolly Bill's too). What would be expected range for a GI iron like OPs? 

Vishal S.

59 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

@billchao says his 7i is 5900. Mizuno website reports 29 deg. loft for the OPs 7 iron. That's a degree stronger than my 6 (prolly Bill's too). What would be expected range for a GI iron like OPs? 

This is a good point - I've just checked my current 7i (jpx 800) and it's 32 degrees, which will obviously account for some loss of apex height in my new irons/shafts.

1 hour ago, Nick-uk said:

This is a good point - I've just checked my current 7i (jpx 800) and it's 32 degrees, which will obviously account for some loss of apex height in my new irons/shafts.

..and some spin maybe?

Vishal S.

4 hours ago, Nick-uk said:

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

..and some spin maybe?

Stronger lofts will spin less, but not necessarily have a lower apex height. My 28° 6i is also a little above 90’.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

30 minutes ago, billchao said:

Stronger lofts will spin less, but not necessarily have a lower apex height. My 28° 6i is also a little above 90’.

Agree with Bill 100% on that.  Apex height should not be affected.  Too many people are misinformed about how modern clubs work.  Spin is what will be affected.  Clubs now depend on decent angle to stop the ball.  Your decent angle with a new iron should be 45-50 degrees.

On 1/17/2022 at 4:48 PM, Nick-uk said:

I did hit the forged but found I lost quite a bit of distance. Clearly I'm not good enough for them at this point.

Which means you aren't hitting your shots in the middle of the clubface.  The reason you are hitting decently with standard rather than a more upright lie is because you are playing GI/SGI clubs.  I would suggest you get the more upright clubs because then you are more likely to hit the centre of the clubface more regularly.  Of course your swing path does mean you will draw or possibly even hook it, but that is better than compensating by hitting a standard lie and more off the toe with a more forgiving club and hoping you get decent enough contact every time.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!