IGNORED

Klineka's Garage Simulator Build Thread

• Administrator

Man, two or three swings in, that had to be disheartening.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, klineka said:

So far I'm not impressed with the MeTech solution at all. I used the Mevo+ for the first time today and about 10 swings in the top of the impact screen that connects to the motor tube ripped off and became unattached. 

Not to mention a similar thing happened to the bottom weight bar (which is entirely too light) too after only 2 swings. 

Their method of stapling a plastic strip to the edge of the impact screen and then sliding that into a notch on the motor tube/weight bar is completely inadequate. 

I think I will get some industrial strength velcro with the adhesive back and attach one strip of that to the motor tube and one strip to the top of the impact screen, that seems to work well for most people that I've seen online. 

I expected more considering the price, and if I had to do it again, I would have just ordered the motor and tube from MeTech and gotten the impact screen elsewhere, which I will probably do in the future.

I reached out to them and shared the picture and expressed my frustration but I don't expect that they'll do anything even though I installed it exactly as their instructions suggested.

image.jpeg

They’ve prob never seen power like yours ☺️    seriously, though, I know that’s gotta be frustrating after all that. The good news is that you’ll get it fixed and all will be well

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 12/12/2022 at 9:49 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

@klineka It looks like its coming together. 

One question. How level is your floor. I hit balls in my garage a lot and I'm hitting from the back wall toward the doors. (That's just the way everything fit.) Anyway, I'm always hitting from a slightly downhill lie. I have plans to make a platform and make it level, but I haven't done that yet.

Any thoughts on how close to level your floor is? 
That may or may not matter to you. 

just curious.

BTW - Your looks great. It's going to be awesome when its ready. 

I hadn't even though about that until you commented. I was curious though so snapped a pic with a level. It's definitely a little sloped, not much that's noticeable IMO, though at some point I will probably look for a small shim or something I can use to make it fully level. 

In that pic the impact screen would be to the left for reference, so the back would need to come up a touch.

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

They’ve prob never seen power like yours ☺️    seriously, though, I know that’s gotta be frustrating after all that. The good news is that you’ll get it fixed and all will be well

🤣 yes my partial swing knockdown 130-140yd 8 irons were simply too much power lol. But yeah definitely a bit frustrating, but thanks to Amazon same day delivery I already have the industrial strength velcro so I'll see if I can get around to putting it back up today.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

@klineka Here's a picture of mine for comparison sake. 

IMG_20221215_083252966_MF_PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.2c56b3a36201127422f636c486fcc781.jpg

And, as I mentioned, I'm always hitting downhill, so in this photo my net would be to the right. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

By the way @klinekaThis is what I'm working with right now. 

IMG_20211218_194952529_HDR.thumb.jpg.00aed26520543636ec4b00e2f575ed0b.jpg

The weirdo angle this photo doesn't show that it's actually slanted downhill to the right... but it is. 

You also can't tell from this picture, but that other door is actually a 2-car garage door. So, if we're careful we can get both cars in the garage and NOT have to take down the set up. However, normally if I put my car in the garage I do move the net a couple feet toward the wall just to give the cars a bit more room. 👍

It's okay for now and let's me work on the stuff that Erik gives me, but I have bigger plans for it. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

21 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

By the way @klinekaThis is what I'm working with right now. 

IMG_20211218_194952529_HDR.thumb.jpg.00aed26520543636ec4b00e2f575ed0b.jpg

The weirdo angle this photo doesn't show that it's actually slanted downhill to the right... but it is. 

You also can't tell from this picture, but that other door is actually a 2-car garage door. So, if we're careful we can get both cars in the garage and NOT have to take down the set up. However, normally if I put my car in the garage I do move the net a couple feet toward the wall just to give the cars a bit more room. 👍

It's okay for now and let's me work on the stuff that Erik gives me, but I have bigger plans for it. 

Nice! That's convenient that you dont have to take it down to get the cars in the garage. If you planned to leave it up permanently I bet you could do an enclosure that stays up all the time and make it fit around the garage door rails or something. I think the enclosures that stay up look the best and most finished I just didn't have enough space or the wife approval factor for that so the retractable route was the only option I had.

I did just manage to get the velcro onto the tube and the screen and got that remounted. I do think I am going to go buy an extra piece of fabric that's the same width as the current screen and about 2 feet high and secure that to the bottom of my current screen and then I'll put my weight bar in that new piece. Doing that will allow me to keep a couple rotations of the current impact screen onto the tube but I'll still be able to have some weight and extra fabric at the bottom. 

20 hours ago, klineka said:

So far I'm not impressed with the MeTech solution at all. I used the Mevo+ for the first time today and about 10 swings in the top of the impact screen that connects to the motor tube ripped off and became unattached. 

Not to mention a similar thing happened to the bottom weight bar (which is entirely too light) too after only 2 swings. 

Their method of stapling a plastic strip to the edge of the impact screen and then sliding that into a notch on the motor tube/weight bar is completely inadequate. 

I think I will get some industrial strength velcro with the adhesive back and attach one strip of that to the motor tube and one strip to the top of the impact screen, that seems to work well for most people that I've seen online. 

I expected more considering the price, and if I had to do it again, I would have just ordered the motor and tube from MeTech and gotten the impact screen elsewhere, which I will probably do in the future.

I reached out to them and shared the picture and expressed my frustration but I don't expect that they'll do anything even though I installed it exactly as their instructions suggested.

image.jpeg

If you put another cloth or even a light net behind the screen, the added weight will deaden the impact a bit more and take stress off the front material. I have been doubling up on the impact area of my nets for this reason. The backing net doesn’t have to be the full width either, just the impact area.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Grabbed a 10' x 3' piece of fabric from JoAnns and velcroed it to the bottom of the main screen and that's worked out well so far even without any weight bar or anything.

The screen they included isn't the best quality, gets pretty wrinkled so I will be looking to upgrade from that at some point but it's working fine for now. Definitely playable.

Remaining pieces are finishing up the foam mats on the ceiling and finding a roll of turf that I can lay out between the hitting mat and the screen.

I will say overall I have been quite impressed with the Mevo+, haven't hit too many drivers yet (the ones I did hit felt accurate in terms of carry and direction) but have hit quite a few shots with everything else and the numbers and ball flights line up exactly as expected with what I see outside. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2023 at 6:00 PM, dennyjones said:

update?  

Haven't done too much lately as far as improvements, mainly have just been using it like 2-3x a week lately for about an hour or so each time. Everything has held up pretty well, occasionally I have to go up to the screen and re-velcro the original impact screen with the extra fabric as the force of the ball makes it partially separate.

Got the exercise floor mats mounted to the ceiling, I haven't come close to hitting them yet with a ball, but I did have a buddy who launches his wedges much higher than me hit some partial 60 degree wedges and he came within a foot or so of the top of the impact screen so he could definitely hit them if he tried.

Now that it's getting closer to spring, I'll probably just keep using it as is for now, and then in the fall/winter I will do some upgrades and get an actual piece of turf for the area between the hitting mat and the impact screen, and upgrade the impact screen to a higher quality one that is one piece so I don't have to keep re-velcroing it together.

I'll take a few pictures next time I use it and post them here.

• Thumbs Up 2

So is there a video of you on the sim  rippin three bills on the fly with a wood some where? 

Let's see it..😊

Vishal S.

25 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

So is there a video of you on the sim  rippin three bills on the fly with a wood some where? 

Let's see it..😊

I have my final day of the foundation system for The Stack system today so maybe Tuesday or Wednesday I'll give some 3 woods a go and see how fast we can get and record a couple. Don't think I have 300 with a 3 wood but I've gotten a few into the upper 200s already so I'll see what I can do.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, klineka said:

Don't think I have 300 with a 3 wood but I've gotten a few into the upper 200s already so I'll see what I can do.

Or a driver... 

Vishal S.

2 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Or a driver... 

It's a bit too confined in the garage for me to go all out with driver. I only have right around 8 feet ball to screen and the mevo struggles with accuracy on that short of a flight when the ball speeds get above like 160. I cant move back any further either because I have a beam in the way that effectively brings the ceiling down to under 10 feet and with me being like 6'3" I already smacked it once when I tried to increase the ball to screen distance. 

(edited)
On 3/6/2023 at 12:30 PM, GolfLug said:

Let's see it..😊

Here's a swing from today, hit a few 3woods off the turf, no tee. This swing here was the 4th one in the set, it was 112.1 clubhead and 156.5 ball, carried 249.5. These were probably 90-95% effort swings, not full on 100% as fast as possible, but I wasn't holding too much back either. They felt like pretty solid strikes so I'm a bit surprised to see the smash factor as low as it is. This was with the weather set to no wind, 70 degrees, and 1000ft elevation

Last year for the full season I averaged 250 total distance with 3 wood, so it seems like I'm hitting it a bit further now since my carry distance is now right around where my total distance was last year.

Swing isn't looking the prettiest right now but I'm hitting it solid enough throughout the bag to make golf fun for me and I don't really want to dedicate the time and effort that I know it would take to make major swing changes. 

image.png

Edited by klineka
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yah, carry/SF seems low for buck twelve CHS. 

Honestly just wanted to the sim in action, is all. Thanks.

Vishal S.

• 8 months later...

Time to revive this now that it's getting cold again.

Last year there were two main things that held me back from using this as often as I wanted to.

1. The amount the impact screen moved when the ball hit it. The "weight bar" that was included was absolutely worthless, I made it a bit better by adding a couple extra feet of fabric at the bottom and using sand/fertilizer bags to hold it a bit tighter but still wasn't ideal.

2. The fact that there is quite a bit of room for shanks to slide through on the side curtains. I temporarily solved this with velcro, but that resulted in a ton of movement by the side curtains too when I hit the ball. If the main screen was tighter I suppose those sides wouldn't fly around like they do in the video.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to solve these yet. An entirely new screen is an option, a heavier one that is one piece and the appropriate length with a sewn in spot at the bottom for an actual weight tube is an option but that doesn't fix the side gap issue. One thing I thought of for the sides is perhaps I do some kind of netting or black fabric and make it a bit wider than the actual motorized roller, then on the back corner of the fabric I could create a loop/hole of some kind and install a hook into the ceiling a foot or two behind the main impact screen and then take a stick or a grabber or something and just reach up and attach the fabric/net onto the hook. That would provide complete coverage while still allowing me to use the side rollers I already have. I'd just have to be a bit careful when rolling them up, just would have to make sure to fold in that extra foot or two inwards towards the roller when it first started rolling up.

Another, albeit more expensive option would be to scrap the whole metechs setup all together and find something else. With how underwhelming the performance has been compared to what I was expecting I'm legitimately considering this option too if I can find something that is fixes those two main issues and is somewhat affordable.

• Administrator

Yeah, that moves a bit more than I'd like to see, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets