IGNORED

Could You Live Without Your Cell Phone?

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can you live without your cell phone?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Another of the conversations I have with my golfing buddies. Could you "go back" to the days of no cell phones?

• I could give up my cell phone tomorrow with no problem.
    • No Way! I can't do without my cell phone.
    • It might suck at the beginning, but I would get over not having it.

Like Erik, said it completely matters if it’s just me or everyone. I could not function with my career without a cell phone. However, I lived in Africa with no electricity, running water and a dirt floor for three years. 
But most of all, how the hell am I supposed to stay up with TST with no cell phone!? 😃

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah. Pretty much impossible to do any kind of work corporate or not, freelance, whatever, without a phone. 

Like most people I’m guessing, I use the phone to get on the train. Deposit checks. Turn on lights and switches, view security cameras, order food, navigate the roads, check on the dog/cat during vacation, real time translation, the list just keeps going on. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Before I vote I need to ask one question:

Am I the only one going without a cell phone and everyone else gets to have one?
Or, are we going to ban cell phones from everyone, or somehow uninvent them or something like that? 

Nope....it's just you making the choice. Everyone else gets to keep theirs or not.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

20 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Nope....it's just you making the choice. Everyone else gets to keep theirs or not.

Then I can't give up mine. It would put me at a huge disadvantage for the job I do. 

If everyone was giving up their phones then easy squeezy. I lived in that world when I first started. I remember calling companies to ask if they had a fax machine. If they did, we'd fax them invoices or quotes or what ever. If they didn't we mailed it. Literally put it in a company envelope and ran it through a postage machine. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

How in the world would I have instant access to The Sand Trap if I didn’t have my cell phone?? No thanks!

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Another thing is I have a gazillion things AirTagged now and whenever I misplace something, it's not a mad rush to find it. Misplaced keys, no problem. Ping it and find it.

I dropped my wallet in the store the other day did not panic because AirTagged and immediately knew where it was - I go back and ask for it. They ask for my credentials and I make the AirTag go off. Yep, it's yours.

Someone in my family had a case of amnesia and was who the hell knows where. Find my phone to the rescue. Located quickly, wandering around, who knows what would have happened were it not for gps on a smartphone.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I do like the convenience of a smartphone, but as it is I don’t use it to its full abilities.  Text, call, music, pictures/videos… that’s all I do with it.  I could do without it tomorrow, no problem.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Ha. Then no way in hell. I'd be cut off from virtually everyone I know, professionally and personally.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Paying for a cell phone offends me

I pay more for my landline than I do for my cell phone.

12 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

and I don't want to be bothered when I'm on my time. 

I think I understand this part of it.  I've come to realize that I don't really have any "my time" any more, and probably won't until I retire/resign.  (Yeah, there are times in the day or week I don't expected to be needed, but I've had plenty of times when I'm supposed to be off and then something comes up.)

I'm old enough to remember when I had to leave a "number to be reached at" by landline.  Cell phones changed that for the better: I can be reached almost everywhere through one phone number. And cell phones changed that for the worse: I can be reached almost everywhere, so instantaneous availability becomes assumed.

The question in the poll is really a two-part question, although not phrased as such.  A lot of the answers assume it's a smartphone, not just a flip-phone I had 15 years ago.  So could I  live without a cell phone--just for the ability to be contacted around town and around the country? And could I live without a smartphone?

For both, yeah. I did it before, I could do it again. (Have a tornado blow through town and wipe out the cellular towers; you make do for at least a few days.)

But would I want to? Nah.

Edited by Missouri Swede
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I use my cell phone as an extension of my PC.  I hate to talk on the phone so that part of the decision would be easy.   If everyone gave up their phones, it would be an easy choice for me to follow if I still had access to a computer.    If I was the only one that had to give up my phone, well, that's just stupid.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I use my cell phone as an extension of my PC.  I hate to talk on the phone so that part of the decision would be easy.   If everyone gave up their phones, it would be an easy choice for me to follow if I still had access to a computer.    If I was the only one that had to give up my phone, well, that's just stupid.  

Looking Good Call Me GIF by Bounce

What I do love about cell phones is being able to contact anyone with a simple text. I can chat with my son or friends that are far away. I can tell my wife I’m heading somewhere. I have group text threads with different sets of friends that are lots of fun.

They call be lifesavers too because of GPS. We have instant access to information with a simple search. They are truly remarkable technology.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I echo lot of posts here in favor. The benefits far outweigh the downsides. It's not much of a contest. 

I do think the instant access to the ones you do not want to be so easily accessible to is a pain with the cell phone. It is like living in an open-house... at all times. People walk in and expect instant responses. The ones you do not care about at all are easy to ignore but the quasi access folks are a tough one lot of times. I miss a texts in a pile and that can/has lead to strained feelings that I have to somehow mend. I am admittedly thin skinned and usually feel pressured to respond even if I want to wait. I guess we are all learning to live and adapt to it in our own ways. I wake up at 5 am each day so I can have my no access time. 

Long live the smart-phone!

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

9 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I think I understand this part of it.  I've come to realize that I don't really have any "my time" any more, and probably won't until I retire/resign.  (Yeah, there are times in the day or week I don't expected to be needed, but I've had plenty of times when I'm supposed to be off and then something comes up.)

Of course, there are some positions where being on call is absolutely necessary, but those ought to be a lot fewer than some people think.  

Half the reason I keep trying to play golf is to get away from these people for a little bit. About the last thing I want is to let them ring me on the course.

If you let them expect you to drop everything, stuff will always come up.  

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Of course, there are some positions where being on call is absolutely necessary, but those ought to be a lot fewer than some people think.  

Half the reason I keep trying to play golf is to get away from these people for a little bit. About the last thing I want is to let them ring me on the course.

If you let them expect you to drop everything, stuff will always come up.  

I agree completely. I like the idea of going fishing or golfing and not having the phone so I am unreachable. It's sort of refreshing. I'll find out anything a couple hours later. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I've said this a lot of times. So, if you've heard me say it already, I apologize.  Let me start by saying I like having a cell phone. I certainly don't use its full capabilities, but I like having it. It's very handy for my job. Three things.

1 - It has helped make people impatient. Back when I owned my first house and my parents/friends/sibling whatever would call me and leave me a message, if I got back to them within the next day or two they were perfectly happy. Now-a-days if somebody sends me a text and I don't respond within the hour they start losing their minds. I can recall a text from my sister-in-law in September. She was asking about Christmas plans. I didn't respond until the next day and she was PISSED... I mean REALLY REALLY ANGRY with me. I'm like what's the big deal? Christmas is still more than 3 months away. In my opinion, if something is that urgent, call me. 

2 - As I've gotten older I do a lot less on my phone. I prefer to sit in front of my computer for a lot of things I can do on my phone. Why? Because I don't carry my reading glasses around with me everywhere I go, and I can't freaking see the damned screen as well anymore. ... Now GET OFF MY LAWN! 

3 - If you would have told me back in lets say 1990 that one day every American will carry a device that will not only allow the government to monitor your conversations, know where you are at any given moment, but also make everyone responsible for keeping that device charged, I would have said you were crazy. But here we are. 

I like my phone. I like having it. It certainly makes me more effective with my job. I'd also be perfectly happy to go back to pre-cell-phone-days. As long as everyone else did so too. I really wouldn't want to be the only one without one. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Now-a-days if somebody sends me a text and I don't respond within the hour they start losing their minds.

Or a few days… 😉

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

46 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

... every American will carry a device that will not only allow the government to monitor your conversations, know where you are at any given moment...

Not to mention the phone relaying the chip info from your Covid shots directly to the CDC and others (in your case, your sister-in-law).

• Funny 1

Note: This thread is 801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!