IGNORED

Headcover Use?

NM Golf

Headcover Use?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Anal are you about your headcovers during a round?

• I take them off, I hit the shot, and I put them back on...every time.
    • I take them off, I throw them in the back of the cart, and I put it back on at the end of the round.
    • Headcovers? I don't use no headcovers!

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm always wondering, why not just get in the cart and then do all of that shit when you get where you are going? Or on the way if you are riding? 

A lot of people (including golfers) do not have nor utilize their "rear view mirrors".  To notice someone is delayed behind you requires one to swivel their damn head.  Selfishness/ego clogs up that swivel.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I use an electric walking cart, and the driver cover comes off on the range, and goes back on after the tee shot on 18. Fairways, hybrids, and putter go off and on at every use.

I used to use iron covers but I got shamed and beat up so badly here on the forum that I gave them to someone I don't like. Now my clubs rattle around in the bag so much while walking the course I have to wear earplugs to protect my delicate hearing which now means I can't hear the cart girl when she pulls up so by the time I realize she was there she's gone and all my playing "buddies" are laughing and drinking cold ones while I'm left high and dry. Maybe I'll try and make fun of the guy I gave the iron covers to and see if he'll give them back. Sigh....

I put therm back on the woods every time. Mainly to protect the graphite shafts from dings from the irons. Putters? Haven't had a putter cover since my kids lost my old ZAAP, but I intend to keep the new Mizzy covered.

2 hours ago, Esox said:

I put therm back on the woods every time. Mainly to protect the graphite shafts from dings from the irons. Putters? Haven't had a putter cover since my kids lost my old ZAAP, but I intend to keep the new Mizzy covered.

Which Mizzy did you get? ... Most importantly, Did you get blue?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have Cobra black forge irons. Love the way they look and don't want them dinged up while rattling around in the bag. I also use hearing aids due to congenital hearing loss and the rattling sound of the clubs is unbelievably irritating to my ears. Additionally, I was raised to take care of what you work for, so, yes, I use covers for my irons. I put the covers back on when I walk back to the cart or if I'm walking I put them on quickly before putting them b ack in the bag which takes maybe 2 seconds. If people think it's silly, they can pound sand. It's not my business if you put catsup on your steak and it's not yours if I put covers on my irons. If you like it, have at it. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Which Mizzy did you get? ... Most importantly, Did you get blue?

M Craft 3 in blue. I have played face balanced since the mid 90's. I tried a milled face Cleveland Huntington Beach 10.5 as well, there was no comparison in feel to the M Craft.  None of the insert putters came close. I was playing a Mizzy Tour 940 which had just the tiniest bit of toe hang and great feel, but the M Craft reached out and accosted me on my way past the rack.

Edited by Esox

Not sure how to answer this one because I take off and replace all the headcovers except for the driver when I'm playing (and riding in a cart). If I'm walking, I put the headcover back on the driver. I guess because I can't throw it in the basket in the back of the cart. Not sure why I do that?

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

9 minutes ago, Esox said:

M Craft 3 in blue. I have played face balanced since the mid 90's. I tried a milled face Cleveland Huntington Beach 10.5 as well, there was no comparison in feel to the M Craft.  None of the insert putters came close. I was playing a Mizzy Tour 940 which had just the tiniest bit of toe hang and great feel, but the M Craft reached out and accosted me on my way past the rack.

Cool, did you get the OMOI version or the non-OMOI version?
Or you could just post a few pics. 

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Non OMOI. Never posted a pic here. Might give it a shot when I get home.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I put the head cover back on after each use. BUT I am conscious of pace of play. Many times, I've been seen riding in the cart holding my club and my head cover so as to get out of the way of the folks playing behind me. I'll put the cover back on before hitting the next shot. 

I know when I'm waiting to play and I see some guy wiping down his club and putting the cover on it and fiddling around before getting in the cart, I'm always wondering, why not just get in the cart and then do all of that shit when you get where you are going? Or on the way if you are riding? 

Same thing when I walk the course. Only then the head cover is in the net thing in my ClicGear 3.5+ and my club is in my hand as I walk. When I get where I'm going I can do all the putting back of the club stuff. 

13 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

A lot of people (including golfers) do not have nor utilize their "rear view mirrors".  To notice someone is delayed behind you requires one to swivel their damn head.  Selfishness/ego clogs up that swivel.

Good god...how long can it possibly take to replace a headcover, it can't take more than a couple seconds? I mean maybe with a quick wipe of a hybrid 5-10 seconds at most? 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Good god...how long can it possibly take to replace a headcover, it can't take more than a couple seconds? I mean maybe with a quick wipe of a hybrid 5-10 seconds at most? 

Agreed. Yet, at any time at any golf course in America there's a guy standing behind the cart, doing God knows what to his clubs and bag. 

I'm often baffled by it myself. But I've seen it more times than I can count. 

I vow not to be "That Guy". 

12 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Agreed. Yet, at any time at any golf course in America there's a guy standing behind the cart, doing God knows what to his clubs and bag. 

Sometimes he's just getting a banana/snack out of his bag.  Do it when you're not holding anyone up.  While it might not amount to a huge amount of time it is additive to other faux pas' of slow play.  And it's rude.

Just now, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm often baffled by it myself. But I've seen it more times than I can count. 

I vow not to be "That Guy". 

Is he any relation to the "WTF is he doing on the green?" guy? I play behind him all the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I sometimes take my driver headcover off and put it in my bag (it is a pain in the ass getting it off and on), but I always leave the putter, fairway woods and hybrid covers on so they don't bang on the shaft of the driver. 

Bill M

If I walk with the push cart, I take off the putter cover and the driver cover at the beginning of the round and store them in the bag. I lost the cover on the 5 wood, which I use the most of the other covered clubs, got rid of the hybrid for a 4 iron, so it's only the 3 wood cover that stays on until a shot and goes back on afterwards.

If I ride, I take the putter cover and store it in the bag as above. The first time I use a club, I pull the cover (that's only driver and 3 wood for those following the story), I put it in the basket and never put it back on until the parking lot, or the unloading of the bag.

To me, head covers are only useful for transporting the clubs, eg in the trunk of the car. Otherwise, I don't care for them. They just waste time.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

On 3/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

16463479937227639606830575273294.jpg

16463480495131814263237628965119.jpg

16463480741618249160861191724004.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a very old set of iron covers which are very loose these days.  I definitely keep the driver/woods/hybrid covers on all the time.  The iron covers are on after cleaning the clubs at home till I get to the course and it then depends on how busy the course is.  I like having the covers on since it is quieter and protects my iron heads but it depends on the time I have and whether it is me pulling a trolley or the caddie carrying the clubs.  Ideally I will get another set of headcovers and hopefully use them all the time

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball